FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pronunciation help? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pronunciation help?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought she said it was "irk-some." [Dont Know]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, JB, you crack me up!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, TS. [Group Hug]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I thought she said it was "irk-some." [Dont Know]

Veddy cute. <grin>

It's lee-EHL. I thought about writing it as Li-El, but that sounds Kryptonian. I thought about putting an accent mark over the "e", but that seemed pretentious, and I bet most people would miss it anyway. Li'el might possibly work, but what the hell, you know?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it right! What do I win?

And people might pronounce it more easily if you spelled it "Lielle".

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I got it right! What do I win?

[Party]

quote:
And people might pronounce it more easily if you spelled it "Lielle".

Hmm... that never even occurred to me. But... nah, too femmy. <grin>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<singing and prancing about giddily>

I enjoy being a girl!

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea you were Israeli, starLisa!! I have a friend named Liel. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
<singing and prancing about giddily>

I enjoy being a girl!

Hey, so do I. Just... not the femmy type. <grin>
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
I had no idea you were Israeli, starLisa!! I have a friend named Liel. [Smile]

What's funny is that when I decided on Liel, I'd never heard of the name. Not as a first name, and not as a last name. I thought I made it up. But Hebrew is like that.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, indeed. You get some pretty wild names. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta tell you, the way you indicate you pronoune it is the way I would have guessed. Maybe it helps that I've had exposure to a whole lotta names that are not standard fare? Or maybe it's that whole Canadian thing we've got going? I dunno. It just doesn't seem that difficult.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
So* I wanna know how Grcywycz (or however it was spelled) is pronounced. oh, NELL!!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
So* I wanna know how Grcywycz (or however it was spelled) is pronounced. oh, NELL!!!!

Lol, Goody. [Big Grin]

I still don't know! She said it too fast (three times) for me to catch it. [Wall Bash] But I should see her in class on Friday, and if I can pin her down without making a fuss, I'll ask her to say it again. Slowly.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Put a diaresis over the "e", it should sort things out.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
What E?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a diaresis? Sounds painful. [Angst]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I gotta tell you, the way you indicate you pronoune it is the way I would have guessed. Maybe it helps that I've had exposure to a whole lotta names that are not standard fare? Or maybe it's that whole Canadian thing we've got going? I dunno. It just doesn't seem that difficult.

Could be the lot-of-names thing. I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago after the elevator accident, and the nurse was Hungarian, or something like that. She got it right the first time.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Put a diaresis over the "e", it should sort things out.

<laugh> Yeah, because so many people understand what a diaresis is for.

Nell, it looks like an umlaut. Two horizontal dots over a letter. Like in Noel. The diaresis over the "e" in that word tells you that the vowel is to be prounced separately. It's a little like the Hebrew aleph or the Arabic alif.

Jonathan, I didn't mention that option, because I didn't think most people would know what it was. Also, it wouldn't help me on the Internet, because I can't type an "e" with a diaresis.

But good suggestion. <grin>

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Why ëvër not?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Use the US International keyboard. It might have it.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Diuresis: noun. Increased discharge of urine. To relieve the patient's pedal edema, the doctor prescribed hydochlorothiazide, for the purpose of diuresis.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Related to the more commonly used word diuretic. As in, caffeine.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.