FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gas Prices Near You (Page 3)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Gas Prices Near You
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
97 cents a litre (Canadian Dollars). I don't really want to do the math to convert to gallons and American. Sorry.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
How about 104.5c per litre (again, CAD)? I guess it's my own fault for living on this rock in the middle of the atlantic. I am so glad I don't own a car.
Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
94.5 cents a litre.

Without doing any math that'd be aroung $3.50 a gallon. I think.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeesh! I passed one of the places I usually get gas from on my way home today. $2.73!!! [Eek!] I'm glad I still have half a tank, although I wonder if I should wait . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
$1.49 (New Zealand, with the NZ`dollar worth $US.70c) a litre. Work it out, somebody stole my calculator, so I can't.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I was going to hate it when I saw Farmgirl's post... the cheapest station near my house jumped to 2.47.

(edit to clarify: this station was at 2.33 over the weekend...)

[ August 12, 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
Just since I last posted, it's gone up to $2.54! yikes.
(West/Central Florida)

*edited cuz my fingers aren't behavin'*

[ August 13, 2005, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Starr R ]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine jumped to $2.56 today from $2.49 yesterday.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's jumped to $2.56 in Dayton, OH.

You know, if everyone would post their location every time they post the latest fluctuation in gas price, it would make the thread more useful.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.38 in Mays Landing, NJ. Up from like $2.20 a week ago.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't you all feel better about the fact that one of the Bush Administration's priorities this year was passing a bill that hands several billion dollars in subsidies to oil companies and builds a $900m bridge -- larger than the Golden Gate -- between two Alaskan communities with a total population of 2000 people?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I believe that was more than "Bush Administration" that you love to blame. Do you want me to cite how many Democrat congressional people voted for it? Not everything done by the House and Senate, and passed, is "Bush Administration". Wow, you really give him more power than he has.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Find cheap gas prices in your city!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Do you want me to cite how many Democrat congressional people voted for it?

Too many, sadly. The Democrats are not yet focused enough on not giving Bush anything he wants, no matter how reasonable it seems. [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

But Tom, those poor oil companies NEED that money, it's the basics of a free enterprise economy silly.

And I don't blame the Administration directly for the wasted 900m being used for that dumb friggin bridge, but he certainly didn't life a finger to stop it before signing the bill did he? The Democrats and the Republicans also get blame for that. Much of the highway bill was just utter crap.

I don't see why people were arguing that 13 billion dollar energy bill was too much, but a 250 billion dollar highway bill is perfectly alright. If we spent even 50 billion dollars on energy, I don't think we'd have half the problems we have now with shortages and a failing national power grid. And YES, this is one of those problems were funding counts for more than anything else. Funding and time.

Evil...flourishing...good men doing nothing..

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Tammy.

Here's another one, from CBS news:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/11/ap/business/main770636.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

Sorry if you guys have seen it before; seems I'm always a bit behind when it comes to news.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I bought gas for $2.47 a gallon at my local BJs, but the going rate around my area (metro Atlanta) is $2.49.

My son cracked me up yesterday as we passed a gas station. He commented that he remembered the days when we payed $1.39 for gas and complained. Sounds like a gas war veteran already...

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Three days ago, the station near me (an off brand, and the cheapest I've found anywhere near me) was $2.23.

Yesterday when I filled up, that gas station was $2.35.

Today when I drove by, it was $2.41.

This is in central New Jersey, btw.

Now, having just traveled up to Canada and talked with folks from around the world in hostels, it seems a bit unfair to complain. I mean, the rest of the world is paying 150-200% what we are.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.49 here in the suburbs of Kansas City. Varies a little bit, within 5 cents.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

We're up to $2.59 on average around here.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.52, but our county also has higher gas taxes than just about anybody else in Fl. Head over the county line and it drops about 5 cents.

Fortunately I don't live near the tourist-heavy areas (like, say, Daytona, where I work), where you can add another 10 cents per gallon. I'm very careful to get my gas near my home.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Teres and I were talking this morning when we went out for breakfast -- why aren't bicycle stores advertising like crazy?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Here in Madison, they are. [Smile]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I knew I was going to hate it when I saw Farmgirl's post... the cheapest station near my house jumped to 2.47.

(edit to clarify: this station was at 2.33 over the weekend...)

Same station, when we came home last night, was at 2.56.... this is really getting disgusting.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $2.39 in Richardson, TX before coming home. I think my parents filled up my car here in Kingwood for my return trip and it was $2.29. In the last day or two though, I think it's jumped around here and it may be in the $2.40's. Not sure.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's between 2.39 and 2.45 around Little Rock, Arkansas.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Gas war veteran... hehe.

I remember just about six or seven years ago when gas was $0.84 per gallon in north NJ.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
2.69 in the Chicago Suburbs. City itself is usually a bit more expensive
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've drove the kids around so much this summer that my husband is considering grounding us until school starts. I immediately started to search for the perfect hybrid for our family. At this point I don't care if the kids have to sit two to a seat and share a seat belt.

We'd walk if we didn't live so far from civilization.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The gas prices near me (Sussex, NJ - northern)have jumped from $2.20 to $2.56 in about a week. I was also in Ridgefield, CT yesterday (near Danbury) and they were about the same there.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Another Chicagoan!! Which area are you in, Ricree? I'm in Downers Grove.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was a kid and NOT driving that gas was less than a dollar a gallon. [Mad]

Here, signs are running at $2.44.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Goody, have I ever told you that my mom grew up in Downers Grove?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

No, Rivka, you didn't!!

And Mack, we had a minor gas war going here a couple years back between a couple stations. For about a month I could routinely get gas for under a buck... too bad that didn't last. I was still driving the Neon, so that would have been 2000 or so...

rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, somehow I thought I had. [Dont Know] Well, she did. Several years in Downers Grove, and several in Joliet. Her dad was working at Argonne.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.56 today in southern Indiana. Ouch! It took about $50 to fill our van up.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is from Western Springs/Hinsdale. My grandparents are still there. Lovely area.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
$2.69
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Detroit, Michigan -

$2.37 April 04
$2.49 August 09
$2.56 August 14
$2.76 August 15

Went up 20 cents just this morning.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What is going on??
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! It's up to $2.45 here! I just filled up two days ago at $2.25, and I thought that was a lot!
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

One of my coworkers reported $2.70 in Dayton, OH, but I haven't confirmed that myself.

Kat, the official word from oil companies is that a confluence of events is driving oil prices to record levels. Take that for what it's worth.

Food prices in my area seem to be going up a little bit, which I'm sure is attributable to higher gas prices. It's especially noticable at Trader Joe's, where the savings aren't nearly as good as they used to be compared to bigger grocery stores.

So, have increasing gas prices caused anybody to drive less? There is a small town I like to visit about 20 miles or so from my house, and there have been several times in the last month or so when I've chosen to do something closer to me rather than driving out there, but that's been about it so far. Well, that and the fact that I briefly considered buying a place in that town earlier this past month and rejected the idea in part because of how much more it would cost me to drive to work every day from there.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.43 in Central New Jersey
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the reason I am moving at the end of August is to be near work so I can drive less. I will still drive a lot, since school will be 30-40 minutes away, but I would be doing that drive anyway, and it's an hour from where I am right now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't drive any less. I can't. I still have to get to work and school.

Eruve, where are you at that it's only 2.45?

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
The cheapest within a 5 mile radius of me is $2.37 ( for regular), going up to $2.55.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Theaca, yes it is a wonderful area. I'd love to move to Western Springs, in large part so my kids can go to LTHS (I was a 1990 grad myself), but I don't honestly see a way of affording the housing costs to do so. Brookfield (where I grew up) is within reach financially but the town is falling apart, so I don't want to do that. And LaGrange is becoming hit-or-miss. So we'll probably stay where we are, or close enough where we don't have to change schools.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
$2.69 now.

Noemon, we haven't been driving any less. Granted, we are out in the country and don't have much of a choice. The grocery store is 15 miles away.

Mr. Opera says we should start riding horses everywhere. I told him goats would be more of a challenge. We own neither animal, by the way.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday around noon, we passed a Hess station selling gas for $2.45. We made note to fill up the tank on the way back. That afternoon, around 3:30 when we headed back home and to said Hess station along the way, the price had gone to $2.56.

wtf?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Goats would be good. You could get a coat of arms featuring a saddled goat, and insist that all family members wear t-shirts or sweatshirts emblazened with it. Everyone would know you as "those crazy goat people".

I realized last night when I was at the grocery store that I hadn't been there for quite some time. I hadn't been doing it intentionally, but I've been making fewer trips to the store than I did when gas was cheaper.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.