FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » dinosaur soft tissue (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: dinosaur soft tissue
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I’ll disagree with the statement that the bible has been revised over and over. Yes, we don’t have the 1st Greek and Hebrew, but we do have a lot of ancient texts. The Dead Sea Scrolls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls helped show that our original texts are very accurate. I know they have taken many many old artifacts together to get the original Greek and Hebrew. Sure there are many versions of the bible today. But the original text is what be considered holy writ. I think what you’re wanting to know is the great debate about the source for the translators. This site gives an interesting overview of Westcott & Hort vs. Textus Receptus along with the majority texts:
http://www.bible-researcher.com/kutilek1.html
http://www.bible-researcher.com/majority.html

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is God only limited to the use of unknown and unknowable processes? If all natural processes are known or knowable, does that mean there is no God?"

Once all natural processes are known, we'll be able to see what role -- if any -- a god played in the universe.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Tom, we won't. Many traditions of God won't be dealt with in that way at all. For instance, the belief that it is God who created and maintains the physical laws would not be affected at all, because it is outside the realm of science to determine any root why. In a scientific sense, some things just are. Perhaps they come from God, or perhaps that's just the way it is, but there will continue to be plenty of room for God.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Jay I'm referring to changes made to the bible by various popes and emperors during the fall of Rome, and in the following centuries. During the persecution of Christians emperors sought of destroyed an incredible number of bibles. Bibles were only reconstructed by using the memories of people in the Palestinian area, one book at a time.

But even with the flawed reconstructions, popes and emperors (like I said before, if you wait a day or two I can get you more details and sources) would cut out entire books from the bible, or edit sections of the bible to suit them. So I don't mean translations, and I don't mean multiple versions of the bible. I know we have some very ancient texts, such as the dead sea scrolls. I'm saying that even the ancient texts aren't what you would consider the "true bible."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Once all natural processes are known, we'll be able to see what role -- if any -- a god played in the universe.
I completely agree with this.

[ March 31, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"For instance, the belief that it is God who created and maintains the physical laws would not be affected at all, because it is outside the realm of science to determine any root why."

Assuming that God does, however, do things outside the bounds of normal "science," any natural law which did not take this into account would be, by definition, incomplete. That this law could not predict Acts of God does not mean that it could not make exceptions for them.

It's true that a God which works exclusively through mechanical forces would be an undetectable god. Of course, such a God is largely worthless.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*shrug*

If the universe wouldn't exist without him, that's hardly worthless.

I should note that I don't believe in God, but there can be a completely undetectable God who is completely essential, and that's pretty obvious from a little basic philosophy and a little basic science.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect TomD meant 'worthless' in the scientific-hypothesis sense that such a God would have no explanatory or predictive power.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what has he done for us lately? [Big Grin]

Edit : Ack, AntiCool, don't remove posts!

[ March 31, 2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yep. It's like the Catholic concept of item attributes which can change without the item changing in any detectable way by any mortal science. These attributes might exist. But it is absolutely irrelevant to mortal science whether they exist or not.

Clearly, if mortal science is itself irrelevant, they might be highly relevant. But if that's the case, any scientific discussion of God is, again, worthless.

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery, Mormons often forget that we are one of the few Religions that believe that God is a Scientist. For most other religions, such a statement is blasphemous and materialistic. Finding physical answers to miracles in other religions is damaging to their belief in the Immaterial and Omnicience of God.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
But the dark will win in the end
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

quote:
Skillery, Mormons often forget that we are one of the few Religions that believe that God is a Scientist. For most other religions, such a statement is blasphemous and materialistic. Finding physical answers to miracles in other religions is damaging to their belief in the Immaterial and Omnicience of God.
I have no idea what bizarre place you get your ideas about religions from, but I would go so far as to say most modern religions have perfectly respectable (and typically very large) branches, at the least, which are completely comfortable with considering God as a scientist.
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anticool and Noemon, I will get to your questions when i have time to elaborate. I'm at work right now and deadlines are looming. Maybe this weekend I can go into some in-depth responses.
*still waiting*
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Must have been a busy weekend.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
That tissue looks like chicken...
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::swallows noisily while trying to be inconspicuous::

I certainly wouldn't know whether it tastes like chicken or not.

Anybody got some floss?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.