FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WenchCon - Stuff to bring (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WenchCon - Stuff to bring
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's the right one for her, then. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget swimsuits and any props or extra costume accessories you can manage.

I want the costume play to be a blast this year, so if anybody has any ideas for backdrops or locations for photo ops, let me know.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is only about three miles from the hotel, I drove by there the other day. I haven't been there in a few years, but it's a pretty standard national park. Plus cannons and Civil War stuff. It might be good for forest backgrounds for fotos, w/or w/out cannons. Also there are hiking trails.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of costume accessories are we talking?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would so love to go there!
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that JaneX and I can't go anywhere from sundown Friday night till it's dark Saturday night unless we can walk there. [Smile]

Which reminds me, Olivia, are we making some kind of in-house food plans for Saturday lunch, like we did last year?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I was going to order something for just you guys and me, and let everyone else order pizza or whatever. Catering for it last year took years off my life. *sigh*

I was going to ask you about gellatin. I know Jell-O is animal derived, but is there kosher gellatin or a brand of vegetarian gellatin you could point me to? I was going to try my hand at making a dessert for everybody. Could you eat it even if my kitchen isn't kosher, as long as nothing comes in contact with meat? Also, the recipe involves cream, does dairy have to be kosher? I forget.

For lunch I was going to go with some vegetarian wraps from this place I know. If everybody would be cool with me ordering for everyone, we can do it that way. The wraps are about $3.00 and you can get them with chicken, too.

Thing is, even when I did the full catering thing last year, with $100.00 worth of lasagna and I dunno how much of my own time and effort, some people still ordered pizza.

I will definitely have stuff there, and I WILL make Certain that Ela and JaneX are well-fed [Wink] because of their special dietary restrictions. Everyone else can pitch in for wraps, order pizza or whatever.

The plan is to do lunch at the hotel by delivery or hit fast food, then go out as a group Saturday after sunset.

Is that cool?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered pizza 'cause I can't eat lasagna. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
We can also walk to the many restaurants around. Despite what Dave's car thinks, On The Border is not only accessibly by highway.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of Dave's car, do you know if he can make it this round Kat?
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

All indicators say no. If he can, I'd be very surprised. He isn't planning on it.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

aww man, that makes me sad.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Me too. [Frown]

We could take pictures and taunt him with them.

Ela
Member # 1365

The plans sound cool, Olivia. [Smile]

I don't want you to go to any unneccessary trouble over the food, so let's just do what is easiest.

Kosher gelatin can probably be found in the kosher food section of your grocery store. You might also find it in a healthfood/organic foods store. It would definitely be available in a kosher foods store, if you have one in your area. If all else fails, I could send you some. [Smile]

Dairy doesn't have as strict requirements as meat - JaneX and I will eat any dairy product, as long as it doesn't contain gelatin or other meat products.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

What I'm thinking of is a sort of raspberry-cream sort of mousse-y thing that is prepared in a spring form pan. The gellatin just sort of gives it shape. I'm SURE I can get some kosher gellatin. I'll call around.

Okay, so anybody have a birthday around that weekend?

Olivetta
Member # 6456

Son the cream with the gellatin is a no-go, unless I can find some vegan gellatin. Vegan gellatin would be okay?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good luck on that; I was researching for another thread, and I found that some students did develop a vegan, soy-based gelatin product, but it's not been picked up by a company yet, as far as I can tell. Googling "vegan gelatin" or "soy gelatin" will tell the whole story.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just wanted to let you-all know, I've reserved a room for Fri. and Sat. So, any women who didn't have a room, also welcome with me and Emma.
Ben
Member # 6117

Birthdays...i know this special 13 yr old who celebrates her birthday on March 6. maybe we can do something for her.
Ela
Member # 1365

I have a room with bedspace available also. [Smile]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben is a butt. Everyone knows I'm already 14. Gosh!
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Well, I let the block of rooms go. Today was the deadline. However, last year we had no difficulty getting the lower rate for last minute people, so don't fret. [Smile]

*pats Ophelia* Dontcha worry none, dearie. We'll fix 'im.

Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Son the cream with the gellatin is a no-go, unless I can find some vegan gellatin. Vegan gellatin would be okay?
I am pretty sure that any gelatin that is labelled kosher will be okay to use with dairy - it should be labelled "parve."

[ February 11, 2005, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka said kosher gelatin was made out of kosher cow hides. So if it isn't labeled "pareve", it's not kosher (with cream, anyway). (A "p" on the label alone never stands for pareve.)

[ February 11, 2005, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmmm. Olivia, when would be most convenient for me to come in? Right now, I could come in either Thur. or Fri. at a negligable cost difference (although that will probably change again) at several times. What would be easiest on whoever is picking us up?
Morbo
Member # 5309

That reminds me-- am I picking up anybody like last year? If so when?

[ February 12, 2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is it too late to change my WenchCon status from "dropping by on Saturday" to "staying all weekend for all fun and festivities"?

I've just decided to attend a conference being held in Atlanta on March 10-11, so I'll be around right in time for WenchCon, and I would be very thrilled to be able to come!

I'm female (23 y/o), so KQ & Emma or Ela & Jane, if there's still a spot in either of your rooms, I'd love to snatch it up! I'm not scary, I promise. [Smile] If there are no longer any spaces or if you're not comfy staying with a perfect stranger, I completely understand, and I'm fine to book my own; just keep me posted!

[Also, since the conference sponsored hotel on Thursday night is the Hyatt (very steep rates!), I'm planning on staying at the WenchCon hotel on Thursday night. If anyone is around Thursday night and hasn't yet found accomodations, I'd be happy to have them join me. I'm going to book the room on Monday, so just let me know.]

Thanks in advance for letting a lurker crash the party. If there's anything I can do/bring/etc, let me know! Thanks again.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

*Forgot to mention that I have no dietary restrictions.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Lucky, if you don't mind a baby, we'd be thrilled to have you. I think Katie will probably be staying with us, too, but she could also sleep around, and either one would be fine with me, as long as someone splits the cost. I'm also not averse to sharing a bed with anyone who doesn't mind possibly having a baby in it part of the morning (and possibly night; depends how she adjusts). I'm sure Jane and Ela will also love to have you.

We can probably even wait until the time comes to figure it out.

I ended up going ahead and bookng my flights because of the prices. My flights are supposed to get in at 12:42 pm on Thurs. and leave at 4:10 pm Sun. (which would mean getting to the airport by around 2:40, 3:05 at the latest).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, whoever's picking us up, I'll e-mail you exact flight info and arrange for to meet you closer to time. Just so you know, the car seat is a bit big, and usually requires pushing the front passenger seat fairly far forward. (Like, all the way in some cars.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am so excited...

Olivia, what kind of props or accessories should we bring? 'Cause I don't know what everyone else has, I'll have to look at mine, but if there's something it would be cool to have more of, I'll see if I have any. I just need to know what everyone's going to want to use.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

Thanks so much, KQ! Staying with you sounds wonderful, or if it works out that things are crowded with you, I can shift elsewhere. I'll toss a sleeping bag in my trunk, just in case. Also, I'll bring cash to the event so that I can pay whomever gets stuck with me at that time. [Big Grin] Thanks again!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, boy! This is going to be so much fun. I love roommates. [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

quote:
I think Katie will probably be staying with us, too, but she could also sleep around
Are you sure you want to phrase it like that?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since others were phrasing it that way earlier, I just jumped on the bandwagon. Katie's a good girl. I'm sure if she sleeps around, it will be chaste. [ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, despite being made from cow hides, kosher gelatin is parve -- hides are NOT meat, nor are they normally edible. As here:
quote:
Kosher gelatin can be made with fish bones, and/or beef skins. Contrary to assumptions, it is also considered kosher to use it with dairy products. Kosher law is very complex and the bones and hides used in gelatin production are considered parve. The general meaning of parve refers to foods that are neither milk nor meat, and many people assume this means that the product is vegetarian. However, OU parve certified ingredients can have animal products, such as fish, eggs, and gelatin, in them.

If you prefer the truly vegan alternatives to gelatin, look for ones based on carrageenan and agar agar. Here's one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mistake. Thanks for the correction, rivka. [Smile]
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I STILL don't know when I'm coming in. [Frown] Must talk to travel office again today.

Oh, it's so sad. KQ's right - I'm all talk.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When did I say you're all talk? Was this when talking about your dating situation? [Razz]

(How did that go, anyway? E-mail me, I want to hear!)

Olivetta
Member # 6456

The only definite arrival time I have gotten so far is Friday afternoon around 4PM. I'd like to group the arrivals to one trip per day to the arirport, if possible, to make it easier for Tmedina, Morbo and me on the pick-ups.

Thing is, the Friday at 4pm pick-up MUST be at the hotel before sundown, so an arrival time laterthan that will need a separate pick-up (probably, I need to check the time the sun sets on that day, but going north at rush hour can take some time).

That said, with Morbo and TMedina helping, it should be do-able. If you guys come in on Thursday, I'll make one trip and get you myself.

The hotel should still take group reservations under the "Computer Companions" even though I released the block. Nobody expectsthem to fill up.

Email me detais when you know something-- I don't get on Hatrack much lately. Been painting my bedroom red. [Big Grin] And generally cleaning house.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sent you an e-mail, Olivia. [Smile]
Ophelia
Member # 653

Ben and I can do pickups, too, after a yet-to-be-determined time on Friday.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I now have flight info in TWO People, even though I'm fairly certain there are at least FOUR who will be flying in.

I suggest that we locals who will be picking up and dropping off people have a meeting sometime before the actual weekend.

That would be Ben and Ophelia, Morbo, TMedina and me (If I left someone out, lemme know). I say we have brunch the weekend before and settle assignments on who does which runs, so we aren't all crazy when the time comes. [Big Grin] Crazier than usual, I suppose I should say.

What say ya?

Ophelia
Member # 653

We could brunch the Saturday before, but I think Sunday is out (We will probably be on the road to NC then.). But the morning/early afternoon of the 5th is okay for us.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My flight gets there at 10:53 PM on Friday or thereabouts. I couldn't get anything earlier. Olivia, I'll be forwarding my flight info to you.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Hey, Jenny, need a roommate? We'll save a space for you if you want. [Smile]
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

[insert halo smilie here]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Livvy is going to be my bedmate, if possible. But yes, I need a place to lay my weary head. Frisco, I'm sure you have the purest of intentions, but Livvy's a proven good bedmate. [Evil]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I feel like when I was in grade school and the kids used to tell me I had the cooties. [Wink]
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
If my friend doesn't come, you AND Livvy can stay with us. But I have yet to get a straight answer out of my friend. [Grumble]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.