FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LDS Author....uh.....whatever... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: LDS Author....uh.....whatever...
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While this is anecdotal, I suspect that most Mormon apologetics are very reliant on FARMS-type studies.
I think you're probably having these conversations with a certain demographic within the Mormon community. Most church members, if asked about archaeological proof of the Book of Mormon, wouldn't even answer archaeologically. The would say that they don't know and don't particularly care where the ruins of Zarahemla can be found. The official church position is that the Book of Mormon is a spiritual document and not a historical record to be proven by archaeologists.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like FARMS just because if someone keeps insisting they have proof that the BoM can't be true for this that and the other reason (archelogically) and no amount of "I haven't looked into that yet and don't much care that such and such ruins didn't have such and such painting" will get them to stop bugging me I can refer them to FARMS. [Smile] It may be just as meaningless as all the rationalization going on against the Church, but it's proof that you can rationalize from either side and it's probably not a good place to start the foundation of your testimony. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"it's probably not a good place to start the foundation of your testimony"

Because, y'know, God forbid you base your testimony on provable fact. [Wink] j/k

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah, well the whole point was that niether side is provable. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
TomD:

Well, duh.

That's because such conversation are, in my opinion, not that much different from doctrinal discussions such as whether or not Christ said that baptism is necessary to enter the kingdom of god or if the sabbath day should be celebrated on Saturday or Sunday.

Each side has their script -- horses! DNA! -- and they go through it. Of course Mormons are going to use FARMS' work -- that's what apologetics is for.

And that's the whole problem with apologetics -- as well as with those who are amateur debunkers of the LDS.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

There's provable and then there's provable [Wink] .
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
At some point, Zal, we have to entertain the idea that we may not in fact be Napoleon, no matter how confident we are that Josephine has our cell phone number. Know what I mean?

[ December 13, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Farms Farms Farms Farms Farms

Here are the relevant links from FARMS. Whether you like FARMS or not, these are the most knowledgeable scholars in the field. And be nice -- one of the articles is by my father, one of the most prominent LDS historians ever.

Kristine Card

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm Napoleon. I don't know what you're talking about.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, but, what if Josephine actually calls you up from time to time? [Big Grin]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

RE Kristine's post:

To be fair, I should mention that while engaged in collaborative goals, FARMS isn't a monolithic enterprise. FARMS authors vary in their tone and in the quality of their work.

That said, my points about apologetics stand. A useful critical tool, but *a* and not *the only* tool.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, this may come as a revelation to you, but the use of [Wink] and j/k doesn't make your catty little remarks either more funny or less insulting.

Dagonee

[ December 13, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor any less accurate.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nor more.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It's difficult to get more than 100% accuracy.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes, but thankfully Tom isn't close to approaching that difficulty.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
100% is such an artificial limit.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Plainly, our opinions differ on that score.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even the book Mormon Doctrine, written by a sitting apostle
He was a Seventy when he wrote it, not an Apostle, I believe [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Plainly, our opinions differ on that score.
Yes, but as you and Tom are leading advocates of ridicule and disrespect when it comes to religion on the board, I'm not surprised at that.

[ December 13, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Annie
Member # 295

Wow, the discourse has taken a remarkably mature turn.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well that was a useful bit of back and forth. [Razz]

Annie: Jinx! Now you have to kiss me. [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ December 13, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Annie
Member # 295

Hobbes, I'm on AIM and you are not. I agree with 100% of that.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*curtseys to Taalcon's superior knowledge*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm in the civil engineering lab, but we'll see what we can do about that AIM express you kids have got now a' days.

Hobbes [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that I think no one here is Napoleon.

Probably.

Maybe.

[ December 13, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

You mean the little guy who wears funny hats and sticks his hand inside his shirt?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
You know how to stop me, but you don't have the discipline.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Could those who have been through the temple be considered LDS insiders?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
First, we'll take Manhatten.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Maybe "inside-the-Templer"ers...

Hobbes [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Well, I think so, Kat, but I can't memorize a whole opera in Yiddish.
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe "inside-the-Templer"ers...

Well, if they went to evening events, they could write about...

"Inside the nights of the templerers"

[Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

And then Wong Kar-wai could make a movie out of it that becomes a smashing success in China.

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Only after hiding the Declaration of Independence.
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, here. But will you admit that the LDS church has not, as a matter of historical record, been particularly kind to historians within its ranks -- especially ones who've challenged the conventional wisdom? *grin*
It takes more than challenging the conventional wisdom to get an historian in trouble with the Church. My own grandfather has looked into a lot of issues and come up with interesting takes on things that some members and leaders of the church would rather see left alone (eg, polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, the various accounts of Joseph Smith's first vision), and it has never landed him in a disciplinary council.

It isn't history or questions that the Church has a problem with. It's conclusions. If you draw the conclusion from your work (in whatever field, amateur or professional) that the Church's teachings are false, and if you publicize that conclusion, then the Church is quite right to ask, "Then why are you still a member?"

Unfortunately, certain historians (notably, D. Michael Quinn) who have drawn such conclusions have made their issue with the Church into a public debate about freedom of thought, as though they were just a few poor, persecuted scholars who dared merely to question the tyrannical authority of the big scary Church. They portray themselves as new Copernici (heh heh) and Galileos, when in truth, their story is no more grand and noble than that of any lay member who loses their faith.

People lose or abandon faith all the time. And oddly, in the case of this church, people also turn around and try to "expose" the Church they once believed in. Being an historian doesn't make anyone special in this regard. It just gives them a different podium to preach from.

Anyway, my point is, historians are not being singled out for special treatment. Rather, historians are offended because they are being treated exactly like everyone else. If you lose your faith and publically preach against the core doctrines of the Church, you get disfellowshipped. Being an historian doesn't transform your opinions about your faith into scientific findings worthy of extra credence and respect.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn not-noticing-third-pages!

If the conversation has moved on since that page-2 quote, feel free to ignore me.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

:: ignores puppy ::
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The official church position is that the Book of Mormon is a spiritual document and not a historical record to be proven by archaeologists.
Hrm. But the BOM does claim to be a historical document. It claims to be a factual record of past events.

Events like that involve things like new world Jewish cities, metal weapons, horses, chariots, mid-19th century middle class political thought, that sort of thing.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

They even put that exact sentance on the title page.

Hobbes [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

I'm not saying that we think the historical parts of the Book of Mormon isn't true. I'm just saying that that's not its purpose.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Hrm. But the BOM does claim to be a historical document. It claims to be a factual record of past events.
It does? Where?

Its authors claim do several times to not be able to include even the hundredth part of the goings-on of the people. The Book of Mormon is intended to be more of a record of the teachings and the spiritual aspects of the civilization(s) within.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Foust:

That's a pretty standard anti-LDS litany. I recognize that you may find it compelling and don't find the apologetic responses convincing, but if dismissing the Book of Mormon on such grounds, you're really missing out on some good stuff -- whether it's historicity is valid or not.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the book, and I haven't read about 66% of the posts here, so I'm probably de-railing things by saying this, but here goes...

quote:
In the book, Palmer argues that the faith's scripture, The Book of Mormon, reflects LDS founder Joseph Smith's own 19th-century environment, not ancient America as Mormons believe. He further suggests that Smith embellished his divine revelations to respond to critics and to stabilize the church.
If this is what he argues, he basically is arguing that the story of the golden plates are false, and as such, almost everything Joseph said was false.
Looking at his credentials, he has absolutely no authoritative qualifications to examine the Book of Mormon or church history. He has a Master's in American history and has taught in the Church Education system for 34 years, with a single stint at the Church's New Zealand college. What this means is that his treatment of the subject isn't as reliable as it would be if he had been a doctor, and what seems to be his goal (As I looked at the description of the book on the
publisher's website is actually a good thing. My guess is that he failed miserably by adding in some personal opinion, and basically just being a bad writer. I can see how his subject matter could easilly get out of hand for someone without a good deal of experience in writing books of a historical fashion. What's funny about the author is that he attempted a doctorate, but didn't complete it. One can only guess at why.
I looked a little bit into his explaination of the book. He mentions "The Salamader Letter" written by Martin Harris, explaining his reasons for financing Joseph. However, he took the letter out of context and began questioning the things the church taught. If you do something like that in a historical study, you can get a false start, which will lead you to find false proof for a false theory (I'm just going to go aside here and give the example of Bean in Ender's Shadow). You can get really close to the truth, but something that isn't completely true is in great part false. I have a hard time accepting the work this guy did as a serious treatment of history, given his credentials, history, and slant. But that's just me, I guess. And for those who think the disfellowshipment is a bad thing, please realize that I know people who have been disfellowshipped for things as seemingly non-serious as heavy petting. The purpose of this is to help him examine his stand on history, maybe it will get him to go back and take an objective look at his work to see exactly where he screwed up.

Note, everything can be found here, the URL won't allow me to encode if for some reason...
http://www.signaturebooks.com/Insider's.htm

[ December 13, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, shouldn't that be, "are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

With all due respect to this site's host and the LDSers here...

I'm interested in this "anti-mormon" label.

Exactly what does it mean? I've had posts deleted in the past because they were called "anti", but from my perspective, I was just trying to ask about some of the more historically difficult aspects of the BOM.

Is the "anti" label applied to anything that questions the LDS faith, or only to intentional assaults on the faith?

In what context would it be acceptable for me to ask about, say, New World horses in the pre-contact period?

It seems to me that the "anti" label is a carte blanche to stifle questions; how far am I from the truth?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:

Events like that involve things like new world Jewish cities, metal weapons, horses, chariots, mid-19th century middle class political thought, that sort of thing.

You have an odd way of asking questions.

Hobbes [Smile]

Foust
Member # 3043

Haha. I should have been more clear. When I wrote about having asked questions, I was thinking about previous threads.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.