FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The fall Baseball Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The fall Baseball Thread
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
plaid, given that you say we will lose the World Series either way, I have to go with the ALCS win over the Yankees.

If you change it so that if we play the Twins, and win the World Series, I'd pick that option.

The sentiment in the greater "Red Sox Nation" is more split on that point though, I think. A world series, won in almost any way, would be the sweetest thing in sport for this area... We're talking 5x or 10x the Patriots Super Bowl victory rallies (that had about a million people at them). We might even have another funky state holiday that the rest of you don't have, like Patriots' (of the Revolution, not football [Smile] ) Day or Evacuation Day.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
If the sox win th eseries, I have this picture in my head of lots of people streaming out into the streets with torches, a big explosion, and then the smoke clearing and there being nothing but rubble where new england once was.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...and floating off into the Atlantic Ocean.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we will handle victory well, now that i think of it. We will become as insufferable as Skankee fans, see?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=14&u=/ap/20041010/ap_on_sp_fo_ga_su/fbn_dolphins_patriots_1

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The night the Patriots won the Superbowl for the first time, the Abbey Church caught fire.

[Eek!]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the sox win th eseries, I have this picture in my head of lots of people streaming out into the streets with torches, a big explosion, and then the smoke clearing and there being nothing but rubble where new england once was.
hmm . . .

That's very tempting, believe me, but no, sorry, we won't let you.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Let us do a little rhyming exercise. What rhymes with Yank?

Skank
Wank
Plank(as in dumb as a...)
Stank
Crank
Dank
Prank
Rank(as in the odor, so do not even try to make it positive)
Sank
Spank

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Who's your daddy?

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is everyone ignoring the Cards? I mean, we beat up on the Dodgers so easilly I was sleeping.

Oh, year, fear.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Orson Scott Card is a good writer, Dan, but this is a baseball thread.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The red sox beat up the angels with greater ease, and the angels are a better team then the dodgers?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

And the Cards don't have Pedro!

[Big Grin]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! That was fun!!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]

And tomorrow we get to play against Pedro!

[Big Grin]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I tremble at the thought of facing Lieber, God of the Pitching Mound that he is...

I'm expecting a 1-1 series tie going into Fenway.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, I am thinking of a name for you and it rhymes with Yankee.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Spanky? My that's getting a bit personal.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Pujols is the funniest-sounding name in baseball.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Dunno. Coco Crisp always made me giggle.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Me too! [Big Grin]
Icarus
Member # 3162

Do they do anything to recycle all the wood from the broken bats?

-o-

Oh, and:

[Taunt]

jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear they take up the bat splinters and go vampire hunting.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What Mack gestured.
Icarus
Member # 3162

So we beat Schilling and Martinez.

What else 'ya got?

mackillian
Member # 586

More like, what else YOU got?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah, right. Like these weren't the games you were supposed to win.

Remember? We don't have an ace at all. Mussina is average and Lieber sucks. Versus this year's Red Sux ace and last year's ace.

mackillian
Member # 586

Pedro didn't pitch badly. He had no run support. Schilling did pitch badly, but he was off. Something is very wrong with his ankle. [Frown]
Icarus
Member # 3162

You're right, Pedro did not pitch badly.
mackillian
Member # 586

You should've heard me last night.

Announcer. "That was Pedro's 100th pitch of the night."

Me. "TAKE HIM OUT! TAKE HIM OUT!"

Then he gives up the walk and the homerun.

Dammit. They need to listen to me.

Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

Especially when they compared his numbers pre- and post- 100.

Then again, I don't know that I would have taken out Lieber after a leadoff single in the eighth when he was pitching a 3-0 shutout. I think I would have waited at least until someone was in scoring position. But maybe Torre was running scared after how close you guys made it the night before last.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think they would've learned from the last time...

edit: to mack

[ October 14, 2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I think Torre was scared. How quickly Mussina got broken down by the Sox had to affect his decision to take out Leiber when they got the first sign of a rally.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read that Schilling probably won't be able to pitch the 5th game [Frown]

That's always hard when you lose a pitcher in the postseason... I think part of the reason the Yankees lost last year's World Series was that David Wells's back went out on him in game 5...

(But if the Red Sox can still win without Schilling, that'll be WAY impressive)

[ October 14, 2004, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Nah, it's hopeless. They should hang it up now.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Doesn't matter. The Cardinals will sweep up whoever is left.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Please. They could barely handle lowly Houston. At home.
mackillian
Member # 586

Boston will never hang it up. I figured out, they're the Goonies of baseball. And Goonies never say die.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*yawn*

Looks like Yankees will win it again this year.

*another yawn*

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Again? They didn't win it last year or the year before, or the year before that.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Hey, whaddya know? Houston has snuck back into their series!

::claps::

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoooeeee, stros win it.

By the way, that one pitcher for the cards is so ugly I felt bad for him.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oohh...It will be craziness if the yanks have to face Clemens.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Does anybody else watching the playoffs despise "Scooter" as much as I do?

[Roll Eyes]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.