FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pun Smackdown VII: A day of Rest
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Josephus records that the two thieves crucified next to Jesus were heard to sing that immortal song Tomb by ya, m'lord, tomb by ya.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so old, the copyrite has long expired.

Sing it shroud!

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two devout Muslim friends. One has a Sunni disposition. The other just doesn't give a Shiite.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Josephus write that in scrypt?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I just realized that mackillian is Mormon than I am!

[Eek!]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Hindu's where it's at, man.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Liz, Jehovah lot of explaining to do.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

As Miss Piggy might say, "vous do this so well."
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do you 'ave Maria around here? And did my friends arrive yet? Allie, Lou? Yeah? Kyrie is. His dad is so untruthful, though. He is a liar's son.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
It's so old, the copyrite has long expired.
I'm pretty sure that was the Coptic rite.

As for your "shroud" pun, I think you'd better Turin the other cheek. Maybe you should think of the impression you're making. And here I was thinking you might be a man of the cloth. I pinned all my hoax and dreams on you.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bob Dylan was recently made a Latin teacher. They call him Magister Dylan. Or, Mag. Dylan. He was very mary and joyful.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ancient embalmers were known as myrrh men.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We could all take a lesson from those fish down at the pier. They travel in large familial groups, thus leading to the aphorism: Clanliness is next to Codliness.

Of course, there's the other version about pheromones: Glandliness is next to cuddliness.

[Razz]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are getting really anointing, Bob.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Wafer it. That puns circling...landing...ah, it's just like Jesus, the man, uh, from Heaven.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

They were kissing. He nectar.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Or, as Moses said to pharoah on his 2nd through 7th visits to that game loving ruler of all Egypt, "plague in?"

<note: say that last bit with a good Southern drawl>

[ May 31, 2004, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Some of the people mentioned in Genesis (Methuselah especially) lived so long that just making a cake big enough to hold all the birthday candles was the job of scores of skilled craftsmen working for months in advance. Then, just to bring the cake to the celebration, they had to build a giant boat and float it in. It became legendary! Surely you've heard of the pastry arks of the Old Testament.

[ May 31, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I remember those guys! I read a cartoon about them, by Doctor Zeus. One of them had red hera, right? And life was free. They did not have any charges, Or Fees? And no one tells you You're a disease.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I HATE it when the other pimps puts down the other guy's prostitute so badly. They are always saying:"Yo ho's so fat!"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My dog was filthy when we got home. I said, "Get in the bath, Sheba!"
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a belief system called Monism. The belief that what people perceive as deity, humanity and the rest of the universe is in fact all of one substance - that divisions among the body, mind, flesh, spirit, material, physical are not real. All are simply aspects of one being. I'm curious if the LDS just think they are bigger and better and therefore are Mor Monism.

Or what about ascribing to Monism but trusting to your impressions of things and calling your religion Monetism.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I had a friend who was nonspiritual as a child.

But when he guru up, he decided to Sikh the truth.

sndrake
Member # 4941

I had a friend who used to hunt a lot. He had peculiar dogs. The dogs enjoyed the viscera from the kills, but they preferred them cut up into little bits and then burned.

Everyone knows that owners love to please their animals. So after every hunting trip, after dressing and preparing the kill...

My friend would give burnt offalings to the dogs.

punwit
Member # 6388

I was reviewing this thread and wanted to clarify something. Bob, you related a tale about Noah counting animals. I'm pretty sure that Noah count stories are frowned upon.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

I know a town that is proud of its history. About 150 years ago, shortly after the town was settled, they were almost wiped out by a band of marauding bandits. The town was saved by three holy men, trained in martial arts, who were armed with only their bare hands. They beat the marauders off.

To this day, the town sets aside a day each year to celebrate the Fists of the Saints.

(this is probably it for me for a couple days - I gotta go catch a plane in a few hours and won't be back until Thursday afternoon. Not much access in the meantime. But I'll make notes of any ideas that pop up while I'm offline.

You've been warned. [Smile] )

[ June 01, 2004, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Salad lovers are more religious than the rest of us. They begin each meal with "Lettuce Prey."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

@#$@#$ hail has ruined my mothers green house. Here prize winning red flowers are now kept in a Holey Rosery.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I've got a cousin that lives in California. His kids go to a school that rasises money through a effort known as scrip. He has volunteered to help with the scrip effort. He says he is not only helping his kids school become financially sound he is bolstering his spiritual bank. After all he is working at his scrip chore.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I guess you had better start calling him "Sir," Mon.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Then there's those little kids I guru up with who liked to play "hide and Sikh."

(got a few minutes of access to play with)

sndrake
Member # 4941

Monasteries often devote themselves to one specialty. For example, "Monk's Bread" is a brand in New York that was originally baked by Monks.

My favorite is the monastery that specializes in cheese. I can't get enough of their monkster cheese.

Seriously, you have to admire the discipline at monasteries - no monkeying around allowed.

[ June 01, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I foresee some harsh pun-ishment for this grinners in the jeerafter.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

What do you use to open a monastery gate?

A Monk-Key.

What key locks the convent door?

Nun

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:

My favorite is the monastery that specializes in cheese. I can't get enough of their monkster cheese.

I've heard of them. They've spent millennia trying to emulate the cheeses of Nazareth.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Jesus' parents couldn't do anything with him as a teenager. Mary finally turned to Joseph and said "what are we going to do with him? Every day it's the same thing, he loafs and fishes, loafs and fishes. It's endless!"

"Well," Joseph said, "at least he's not out getting stoned."

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

God was baffled. He would take a girl out for a good time, show off his crappy Chrysler import from the 1980's, and BANG, she'd get pregnant. Turns out he was Omni potent.
punwit
Member # 6388

I understand there is some fella, Ben something or other, with an VoIP speech website. It's called Ben E Diction.com
sndrake
Member # 4941

These Atkins dieters are becoming almost like a religion unto themselves.

The other day, I heard one of them talking about favorite recipes proclaim "Praise the lard!"

(now, believe it or not, I'm going to attend a plenary session on spirituality in holistic care.)

I am being holy serious here.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

How did cheese get its name?

If you ever smell milk curdling what else would you scream out other than,--"Cheeeses!"

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Bill's wife asked him what she wanted on her turkey bacon sub. He yelled: "Cheese, Louise!"
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Atkins is nothing compared to the Entertainment Channels new diet. I worship my Diet-E
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, but Atkins has a great recipe for broiled mammon.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Before Jesus came of age, he was a minor deity.
punwit
Member # 6388

I understand that Lucifer has applied for tax exempt status. He claims he is a "Not for Prophet" entity.
punwit
Member # 6388

I've got a buddy that's been married for 10 years. He and his wife have been trying to have a child for 7 of those 10 years. So far they've had no luck and his wife has become a bit acerbic. She made reference to the size of his tool as being less than adequate. I believe she called him a needle d*ck and said that if they ever did concieve it would be an innoculate conception.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There was this guy who hated Rome, back in the days when the Catholic church was seated there, and there only. He HATED the idea of being immersed in water for baptism. So, long story short, he moved west, to Turkey, because he said, "I Can't Stand in No Pool."
punwit
Member # 6388

God and Lucifer were having a friendly chat about their unending competition. Lucifer had asked a pointed question about the sacrifice of beloved apprentices and if God ever regretted their suffering. God didn't answer the question directly and instead steered the conversation to New England in the late 1600's. God was curious if Lucifer felt any remorse over the loss of his witches in Massachusetts. I believe his question was, "Jerusalem?"
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Punwit, you do have a tendencey to Babylon, you know.
punwit
Member # 6388

I've been told that alot yes.

BTW I have to say I'm particularly proud of the Jerusalem pun. I was just explaining it to my daughter. I hope it made more sense to you than it did to her.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.