FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Death to terrorists! (a news link and rant) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death to terrorists! (a news link and rant)
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though in Iraq, the perception may be different. In the case of the prisoners of Abu Ghraib. Maybe. No way all of those prisoners were zealots who would happily die for the faith.
...or dignity, or any of those words that no small amount of Americans signed up for the military to pick up. We don't need all the prisoners to be zealots who would happily die for faith, just one.

[ May 12, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Be fair - I derailed the thread as much as anybody. The 2000 election is an obvious counter to my contention that there is a qualitative difference between the U.S. and former Iraqi governments. Not a valid counter, but obvious.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find it somewhat irritating the way the President- not this particular President, but Presidents in general- get the credit, or the blame, for whatever happens to be coming down the pike. The President is neither dictator nor omnipotent, people. Everything bad that happens is not his fault; everything good that happens was not his doing.

The economy, for example, is almost totally out of the President's control. To that extent that he *does* have any influence, it is shared by Congress, the Fed, and a gaggle of unelected Federal officials sitting in cubicles in really ugly Downton D.C. buildings. The same thing goes for the war or anything else. The President makes a good target because he is obviously the most powerful man in the system, but that does not mean he has all the power or even a majority of it.

Truman may have said that, "The buck stops here!", and it was classy, but not entirely true. The buck is divided to the point where you can get ha'pennies out of it.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.