FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Back at home and still no baby... was "Don't go into labor while I'm gone." (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Back at home and still no baby... was "Don't go into labor while I'm gone."
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, you will probably want a swing even with that rocker. When they're little, they can't make it rock themselves and you're going to get awfully tired doing it yourself.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives boon*

I am well acquainted with the frustration of long, drawn-out false labor contractions, if not the physical discomfort. It makes the final weeks seem like months. Hang in there! When that little guy comes out and you see him for the first time, all will be forgiven. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the Braxton Hicks contractions get more and more realistic feeling with subsequent pregnancies. I was sure I was going into labor several times with my fourth.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
that's why its got a nice little vibrator.

*grin* Now there's one for the OOC thread!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Happy due date Boon. These things are such a crock. But I'm sending you speedy labor vibes: ~~~~~~~Boon~~~~~~~ ~~~~~Boonlet~~~~~~
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
That's awesome.

Best of luck Boon. [Smile]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

Dan was 13 days early. Jen was born ON her due date.

Does this mean I have 13 days to go?!?

I just want to sleep. Rest. Peaceful, painless slumber. At least, once he's born, he won't be able to kick me while I'm sleeping. [Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Boon:

There won't be kicking, sure.

Screaming? Ah... *that's* a different story.

[Wink]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Yeah, but at least it won't hurt. Besides, nobody said I couldn't get somebody in here to help with the first few restless nights. [Razz] Just one night...just one...
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I was born 4 weeks early.

My little sister? 3 weeks late.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I'm ready to scream.

I got the crib out of Dan's closet more than a week ago. I thought that when I took it apart last time, I put the bolts into a ziplock, and taped that to one of the rails. No such luck.

I searched the toolbox...the LOGICAL place for it to be...no hardware.

Since then, I've been actually unpacking boxes full of stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since Florida, to no avail. No hardware.

I've been through every room, every closet, every drawer...no hardware. [Wall Bash]

I SO don't want to have to buy another crib when all I need are the bolts and supports for the spring. Looks like I may have no chioce, though...unless the hardware store happens to have what I need this afternoon.

Also, on the subject of baby showers...would it be selfish of me to be mad at my mother and sister? This is my third child and I've never been given a baby shower. My sister was maid of honor at my first wedding and never threw a bridal shower either. I'd feel awkward organizing one myself...isn't this something they should do? I would if it were my sister, or my daughter...or even my friend.

Heck, one of DH's friends' WIVES, who hardly knows me, offered to throw me one, but she told DH while I wan't around and he told her no thanks. He "didn't know I wanted one." I do, but I want somebody that, you know, at least knows me to throw it. [Grumble] Am I wrong? Should I say something?

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Boon))))

It must be getting really close. Hang in there, Momma.

The hardware store should be able to replace the hardware that is lost. You may have to take the crib there. Dan should take care of it. You shouldn't have to be putting the crib together now. Nagging is okay though.

Yes, it's okay to be mad about never having a baby shower. I think I'd wait a week or two to say anything about it, though, if I said anything at all. Who knows, one of them might be hit by that bright idea any minute now, and then how would you feel?

I have no idea what you must be going through physically. I can't imagine. But the frustration, yes, I understand. Screaming might help.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

quote:
Dan should take care of it.
[ROFL] Dan's seven.

DH is completely hopeless in the tool department. He has trouble distinguishing between a claw hammer and a rubber mallet. [Razz] Truly, I'll feel more comfortable if I put it together myself. It's not like I haven't done it about 6 times already, between the 3 kids that have used it and moves between rooms and states. [Big Grin]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, can you e-mail the crib manufacturer about buying new hardware?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Lack of sleep has fried my brain! Lemme go see if the manufacturer is listed on the frame. Thanks!
Boon
unregistered

Well...looks like I'm buying a new crib anyway. This one has been recalled for loose/missing side slats. My crib's slats aren't loose, but I'm not taking the chance. I guess it's a good thing this happened.

No, I'm not reusing a carseat, swing, or playpen. And I always send in those recall cards. I don't know why they didn't send me something about this crib, unless it just came between moves or something. [Grumble]

pooka
Member # 5003

Hope you find the hardware, Boon. The bad news is I think a baby shower is typically for the first baby, or sometimes the sixth or if you are having a boy and only have girl stuff. The good news is you don't have to wait to yell at your mom and your sister about it. Not that I'd recommend that. Maybe they got messed up by Father of the Bride II or something. I don't even remember what happened in that. Did the mother and daughter spontaneously agreed to throw one for each other because they were conveniently both pregnant?
Boon
unregistered

It's now the end of D+3. Still not much going on.

Warning: novel-length rant ahead!

I'm rather peeved at my sister. She came home (to my parents' place, about 45 minutes from here) on Wednesday, and I've yet to see her.

I'm on strict orders not to be more than 1/2 hour from the hospital, so I can't go visit.

While she's on the road, she complains about how lonely it is out there. She whines about how much she misses my kids. Her cell bill comes to me, and she spends about 7000 minutes a month on the phone, less than 100 of which are to me. I invited her to come spend the night here Friday, have dinner, and go shopping Saturday. She declined, saying one of her trucker "boyfriends" had invited her to go spend the weekend with him in Arkansas.

Then, when I called Mom Saturday morning, she said Sis hadn't gone to Arkansas, but had spent the evening "out" with one of her friends bar-hopping.

Yesterday, when I realized I had to buy a crib, I called...and called, and left messages and called all afternoon and couldn't reach her. First she was in the bathroom, then she was outside...I even paged her cell. It wasn't until I told Mom why I was calling that she told me Sis was taking a nap! It's a good thing I wasn't in labor...she'd have missed it!

When I finally talked to her (after 7pm) she said she couldn't come up this morning, but would call this afternoon and we'd go then. She wouldn't say why she couldn't come before noon...

Have I mentioned that my parents live in a tiny travel trailer parked next to the bar my mother manages?

Turns out, she spent last night tying one on again, slept 'til 3, and then left again. She didn't bother to call me and say she wasn't coming, and still hasn't called.

She was at the hospital when Dan was born, but policy only allowed 2 people in the room, and both of my parents were there. She was at the hospital when Jen was born, and was supposed to be in the room, but my mother wouldn't leave so she could come in. She says she really wants to be in the room for this one...but she's leaving Wednesday.

I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon. Frankly, even if he wants to send me to the hospital then, I'm tempted to ask him if we can wait until she's gone. I've already told my parents I don't want them in the room this time...not that I think my mother will listen, but my doctor knows too and will kick her out for me. [Big Grin]

I don't want to be angry with her. I know my hormones are screwed up, but I think this is extremely inconsiderate of her. I don't really blame her for not wanting to come up here...I've been rather a b*tch lately, but she could at least call. Right?

/rant

Judging from his activity, Thomas is still fine. DH picked me up some mexican for dinner....yummy! and I'm trying to just rest as much as possible, in between putting furniture together and folding baby blankets. [Razz]

Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Boon))) It's not just hormones, you have a perfectly rational right to want her to call.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What Lara said -- hormones or no hormones, she's not behaving much like someone I'd want around either. [Razz]

(((((Boon)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
When are they going to induce?

My other friend is going to be induced in a week on the 24th, if her little boy Shawn doesn't decide to come earlier. I think technically she was due on June 2nd, but they are already estimating the kid is 8-8.5 pounds, hence the early induction.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't let my mom come in when I had my kids. She would have talked the whole time, and I would have been forced to kick her in the head to shut her up. I had to avoid getting violent, so I did the best thing I could. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

D+4...

My appointment is tomorrow afternoon. Maybe he'll induce then...if not, I think I'll shoot him! [Razz]

Still haven't heard from Sis. DH is going to take me shopping this afternoon...I guess he knows how upset I am about this, 'cause he HATES to shop.

When Jen was born, DH, his mother, my sister, and both of my parents were at the hospital. At one point, I was really getting stressed out and asked everyone but DH to leave the room for a while, that DH would come get them in a while.

I suppose it didn't help that our mothers first met at the hospital, but I could definitely feel the strain between them, and it didn't help me relax. SO I kicked them out.

Well...I had told his mom and my sister they could be in the room when Jen was born...but my mother came back about 10 minutes after I kicked them all out and didn't leave again! By then, I was mostly incoherent, but every time I became aware, she was talking about how I should "think about what Sarah (fron the Bible) did, you can do it!" I kept asking her for quiet, but she just can't control herself.

DH told me later that at one point I told her to "shut the f^%k up!" I also told her specifically to get out and send Sis in. She refused. Apparently, she didn't think it was right that DH's mom be there and she not.

He's right, because she was hurt and angry for weeks afterward.

This time, his parent's aren't coming to town, and Doc and DH have strict instructions. Mom and Dad have both been told, and I even told Mom (nicely) that we'd have her removed from the hospital if she didn't listen to me this time.

Anyway, gotta run, almost time to pick the kiddies up and go shopping!

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the crib was recalled.

Y'know, when I had my kids I was so happy I lived on a different coast than my mother. I truly think having her at my births could have ended in violence. I don't hink it's hormonal, I think you're wise.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
What never fails to amaze me is the fact that some women who have given birth could be so inconsiderate of the feelings of other women who are giving birth. Did they forget what it was like? Far more important than making sure a wedding pleases the ones getting married is having the birth experience be exactly how the mom-to-be wants it. (As far as that's possible.) When you are in labor, you call the shots. If that means someone's voice is grating on your nerves, get rid of them! If someone is wearing squeaky shoes, make them take 'em off! I don't know how a mother could be so rude as to ignore the requests of their child when they have suffered the same torment and must surely understand what it's like. It's baffling, and yet they do it, generation after generation.

I remember being in the hospital the day after having a baby, and getting phone call after phone call. Each person would advise me to "sleep when the baby sleeps". I'm thinking, "No kidding, I'm trying!" Now that I've been there, I never directly call the room of a new mom. Why is it that other women never learn from their own birthing experiences, and try to make it as comfortable as possible for the new mom? It's so aggravating.

I know that some moms may have enjoyed getting the calls, and that each person's experience is different. The point is more that it's very important to honor their wishes.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Oh, dear, I really didn't know Dan was not your DH. But apparently I did instinctively pick the one who was more mechanically inclined. [Big Grin]

Your sister is behaving pretty rudely. I'd have given up on her already.

And no way would I have ever let any friends or relatives in my delivery room. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't invite my husband, either. For that matter, the minute I found out I was pregnant, I would have disappeared from his life altogether. He's not a very good father.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I let me husband come in, but only because he's the only person I know that can remain perfectly quiet. And my mother-in-law was there, but someone needs to hold the barfy basin.
Christy
Member # 4397

Boon, you have every right to be mad at your sis!! That's downright rude, pregnancy hormones or not.

We were able to find the screws to our crib at the hardware store -- good thing because we got a used one for free and it came minus one screw! That's a shame yours is being recalled.

It seriously took us three hours to figure out how to install the kick panel on the crib. *blush* We didn't have any directions (and couldn't find them online) and kept thinking it should go on backwards (to step on it rather than kick it). It was amazing how quickly it went together once we finally figured that out!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom not respecting your wishes with your labor as well! Good for you for asking your doctor to take a hand this time.

I felt pretty guilty telling my mom that I didn't think I wanted her in the delivery room, but made it up to her by saying she could come as soon as she wanted after that, which seemed to be an acceptable compromise. She was ready to camp out here in Madison and be there when I delivered. I love my mom, but she tends to get a bit hysterical and is definitely not good with doctors and I'm sure I would be more upset with her than comforted.

*sends relaxing thoughts Boon's way*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No mother should ever feel guilty about anything she wants during delivery.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

My mom told me a grotesque story during my last labor that is one of the reasons I wound up getting an epidural (also I had a headcold and DH tried to sneak a couple of cookies into the room). I was glad to be there during my sister's delivery but I caught myself almost saying a couple of really bone headed things.

So when you say the cell bill comes to you, does that mean you pay for it? That was the main thing that caught my attention.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I think a good plan of attack if you are in the delivery room is to stay quiet unless they are talking first, and sound like they want a response. Then, if they beg you to talk, you can.
Boon
unregistered

[ROFL] No, I don't pay her bill! It comes here because she doesn't have a permanent physical home address, and neither do my parents. The company she went with required one, therefore her bill comes here. I open it and tell her how much to pay, and she stops at the next store and pays it.

Anyway, turns out I don't have to buy a crib. [Big Grin] DH's friend, the one who's land we live on, who threw that amazing 4th of July party last summer...he and his wife are loaning me thiers. They have a HUGE house, and keep one of the bedrooms set up as a nursery for when their grandkids come to visit, but none of them are that age right now. And, since none of their kids are expecting, they won't be needing it for a while.

It's a very, very nice solid mahogany peice of furniture, and I'm very grateful.

So, the big shopping trip turned out to be dinner and groceries, but that's okay.

DH is really trying to be sweet. Funny story, he climbed into bed last night rather late and I was already alseep. He forgot, momentarily, that I was pregnant. [Big Grin] I'm not sure how that happened, but...

So he put his arm around me and rested his hand under my ribcage...Thomas chose that moment to give me one of the hardest kicks yet, right where his hand was! [ROFL] Poor guy jumped out of the bed!

Boon
unregistered

The end is in sight!
[Party]

I can't post too many details, though, 'cause that might screw up some of the baby shower games...

But at least now I know for sure that it will all be over by a certain day...
[Party]

Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Boon and the baby finally coming!
[Party]
And poor Boon's DH! [Wink]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

D+7...

I keep hoping we'll pre-empt the induction, but it just ain't happening.

That's okay, though...not too much longer.

At this point, I'm mostly just grouchy.

The kids keep saying how much they'll miss me when I'm in the hospital, but at the rate I'm going, they'll be glad to see me leave for a while!

Seriously, I catch myself yelling at them for stupid, insignificant crap that just irritates me. I've apologized to them many, many times over the last few days, and explained to them that I'm tired and grouchy, and I still love them, and all of that, but I feel really, really guilty about it.

I've never had this much physical difficulty with a pregnancy before. Then again, according to Doc, I've never tried to carry quite this much extra weight before either...or for this long.

Heh...while grocery shopping the other night, DH spotted some Dreft and wanted to buy it. [ROFL] I had to remind him that I've never, ever bought special detergent for baby stuff, I just turn on the machine for a second rinse. I'm realizing every day how much he's forgotten. I'm not sure that's a good thing... [Big Grin]

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for A Certain Day! Keep up the good work [Smile] !
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmm I can't help but wonder what the induction date is. I think my friend Ellie's is next Monday. I'm guessing yours is tomorrow...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Not tomorrow, but I still may win the race! [Razz]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

lol, well I was thinking the doc wouldn't want to induce on a weekend if he could help it. That was Ellie's doctors logic...

AJ

Boon
unregistered

[Big Grin] The hospitals are quieter on the weekends, because most doctors use that logic. Not mine, though. I'm to be in L&D at 6am Saturday. [Razz]
romanylass
Member # 6306

Yay for the loaner crib!! Sounds very pretty, I'll bet buying a mahogony crib would have cost a fortune!

I'll send you happy labor vibes on Saturday morning!!!

Christy
Member # 4397

Yaay for Boon all around! We'll be thinking of you Saturday as well.
pooka
Member # 5003

I don't know what the water is like where you live, but in UT those special baby detergents are better at getting out those special baby stains. But our water is pretty hard. Still, if a second rinse does it, more power to you. I'm sure that's healthier. Oooh, laundry... gotta go! Glad you have the date in sight. My sister just announced today she is expecting her first in December.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon...are you sure you're pregnant?

This is taking an awfully long time, you know.

I've seen civilizations rise and fall in less time (take Troy for example).

Anyway, have a great delivery! Be safe & have a very healthy child.

- Bob

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, I suspect that were you in easy reach, you would soon regret that comment.

But since most post-due moms are doing their best to conserve energy, you may be safe.

For now.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Momma-Boon and Baby-Boon having a set day!

Early congradulations for both as well!

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

LMAO Ellie is going to beat you to delivery by a hair. She had an appointment today, and the doc doesn't like how her bloodpressure has been steadily rising over the last week. (Gone from 120/80 a week ago, to 135/80 and now 135/90) She is 2 cm dialated. Anyway he told her to go home and pack a bag, and check herself into the hospital, today. She's been wanting to have her baby just as bad as you, but the shock of NOW? Today? has her reeling. She just called me!

So good luck on your baby tomorrow Boon! Maybe yours will come today too.

AJ

[ May 21, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, and I thought my weekend was going to be tough because I have to cut the lawn.

On the positive side, they just announced that the elephant at our local zoo--Raja-- will be a father. He succesfully impregnated a female elephant a few months ago.

The deliver for the elephant is in November or October....

of 2005.

See, compared to that, this should be a cake.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*pies both Dan_Raven and Bob*

This pregnant lady still has the energy!

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmm pie.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.