FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: WMASS Picnic: We had a blast, despite the rain!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama-YAY!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
And I will also have another guest with me, my fiancee.

Psst- Hey Kama, let me know what your schedule is soon, so I can plan accordingly. August is going to be busy, busy, busy...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Yessir. I'd be coming to you probably in the middle of the week (around Wednesday the 18th? - might be Tuesday, though, dunno yet) and stay until the picnic. Then on Sunday (22nd) it'd leave for Strider (if he still wants me).

Sounds OK?

[ July 07, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds peachy!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Cool]

(I'll e-mail you later in the month to discuss details.)

[Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, you need to get her on hatrack ASAP, so she can get a silly screen-name like us....

Kama, you are already on the list, Bok's guest will be almost-related at that point, if you catch my drift... [Razz] Also, I'm glad that you are going to be here, but I refuse to re-name the picnic in honor of you. Just because you have one named for you in Chicago doesn't mean that we will coddle to you here in MA.... [Taunt]

I'm not sure you will want your children to see such sights, Elizabeth, it might warp their fragile little minds past repair...

Mack, is Nate going to be here for the picnic? I know he lives a bit far from NE, right?

Kwea

[ July 07, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

but... but... doesn't KamaPicnic sound nice?

[Razz]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Not really...what would we eat?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
He is. He's out visiting me that week, so we figured he could go to the picnic, too. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good timing...I aim to please.

I usually miss, but... [Razz]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Still waiting on a few peole who expressed intrest.....anyone?

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, it is:
Kwea and Jeni
Mack and HotN
Kama
Liz, Aidan, and Alyssa
Bok and Fiancee
GradStudent?
Myr?
Others? Who were they, Kwea?

Edit: I am going to be SO real!

[ July 08, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Myr is a definate, last time I talked to her. Suneun is a maybe/probably.
I still haven't hears from Martha, Kale, Beca, or Mike....I met them in Boston, so I hope they are able to come out here, but I haven't heard a thing yet.

Javert and sarahdipidy said they could come as well, I believe.

Dragon asked about it, but she has been pretty busy with Smirkus, and hasn't mentiond if she will be here.

As far as my family, my parents and sister, neice and brother-in-law will be there, and some of my in-laws from Jenni's family will be there as well. Charlotte and the three evil ones (2 neices and a nephew).

I have told a few of our friends, and some of the prople from our wedding party will be there as well.

Anyone else?

[ July 08, 2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be picky, but it spelled JenniK - 2 n's [No No] ( I do tend to be anal about that ) several of my friends and family members will be there on August 21st. My sister and her 3 kids, my mom, maybe my dad (questionable), my 3 best friends, and some strange relations may show up too. It sounds like it's gonna be a lot fo fun. [Party] I can't wait to meet people that I only know by unique names. For those of you who confuse me with JeniWren... that is my tribal name because I love to sing, and pretty much sing all the time, everywhere; but we are 2 very seperate people here at the River....and I don't share my toys, so I definately wouldn't share my Kwea! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I know, she's weird. Good thing I like that in a woman...

I don't know who is more relieved at hearing that, me or JeniWren....OK, so we all know it's JeniWren...lol

Sounds like at least 30 people, weather permitting.

Does anyone have any tarps or large screen tents we can set up in case of rain? The picnic will go on, one way or another...

Kwea

JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it good that he said that. He's just as weird as I am if not more so. Can't wait to meet everyone. Happy Summer! [Party]
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Anyone?

Bueller?

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a one-person tent. I don't think that'll do much good.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have a screen house. I will bring it.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well mack, with both you and Nate in there......

Anyone else have a tarp tent, of anything we could use? I can always rent one...actuall, I think one of my friends has one I can borrow....I'm not sure though, I'll ask.

Anyone else interested in going to the picnic?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Were getting colse!

Mack might be moving that weekend, but she said that if she can still be there she will.

Kwea

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So if people need a place to stay my landlady runs a bed and breakfast. I think she charges about 70 a night. If you're thinking of staying in Amherst you won't find a room too much cheaper. And you get breakfast and a nicer place to stay. I know Kwea mentioned the Knight hotel but I dunno much about it. I just thought I'd mention the idea for those who aren't strapped for cash. If anyone's interested let me know. I should have a website up for her soon but it's not ready yet.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That is a very good price. There is also a Quality Inn on Route 9 in hadley that is very reasonable and pretty nice. I think it was 60 bucks or even less.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We were hoping (maybe) to surprise everyone by showing up, but I'm afraid it's just too far away (6 hrs each way), and we fly out early the next morning. Ah well, hope you folks all have fun.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...

Hmmm, what time do we plan on meeting? I'm trying to think if I'll need to stay overnight (because of curfew and all >.<)... And wow, this is gonna be so much fun. I LOVE kids, you guys are gonna havta drag me away from them every once in a while so I can talk with the adults [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Papa, that would have been great, but I understand that it is a long way. Where do you folks live again?

Too bad, I would have loved to meet you IRL....even if I did duck my first Landmark on you... [Big Grin]

There are quite a few places to stay in the W.Spfld area that are all about $50-70 a night. The route 5 coridor is filled with them, and it's only 20 min from the park. I go right past there, so anyone needing a guide could follow me down.

Myr, I would recommend staying over if you can at all. If I have the day off, perhaps we could go to Six Flags on Sunday....but I doubt I will, as I am taking Sat off for the picnic. Still, maybe others would like to go....

The bed and breakfast thing is a lot of fun if you have never done it before, and $70 isn't a ton of cash for one if you can afford it. Also, there are some campgrounds around here, not too far away I think. I know there is one in Agawam, and some in Southwick, but I don't know the names of them. Does anyone else from here know any in case some people want to stay over?

I can't wait, this is going to be so much fun.

And Myr, we would set you a place at the kiddie table, but you are just too damn tall!

Kwea

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we live in SoCal, which is a few thousand miles too far. But we'll be in Fillmore, NY from the 15th to the 22nd, which is only a couple hundred miles too far.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Damn, that would have been way too cool....oh well, maybe I can visit you when i go to see my parents in AZ.

Jenni and I might go there next winter, if we don't move to FL, which is the plan right now.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Has anyone heard from the rest of the Boston clump?
Kwea
Member # 2199

???
Beca
Member # 4340

- posted      Profile for Beca           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there - I've been out of the loop recently.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this time. [Frown]

Posts: 188 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hi Beca..why not?

You better have a good excuse, Miss... [No No]

Sorry to hear that, Jenni is really looking forward to meeting the people I saw in Boston...she is still jealous that I got to go and she didn't.

Kwea

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh guess what, Kwea? I found an incredible looking coffee/chocolate store in Northampton I really really want to visit. It's called "Culinary Specialties Coffee Gallery" on King Street.

I definitely want to go that day. Hey Miiiike! Doesn't this look awesome?

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dabbler,
Forget that place and go to Ben and Bills Chocolate Emporium. Their truffles are to die for. Another place is Sweetie's.
(I have not been to the place you mention, but feel compelled to push ben and Bill's)

I would offer our place as a sleepover place, but we have Aidan's b-day party the next day, so I can't.

Kwea mentioned some hotels, but thereis also Qualty Inn on Rte 9 in Hadley, about ten minutes from Look Park. Also, if you are staying, check out www.masslive.com for happenin's in the area.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems likely we'll just make a day trip out of it. It's about a 2 hour drive for us. Not unreasonable for a day trip.

Does Ben and Bills have gourmet foreign chocolates? Mike's a gourmet choc freak and the one I linked to carries lots of european stuff. I'm looking for some cocoa nibs (the Whole Foods near my house stopped carrying it).

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

D,
They do all their own chocolate. There are three big vats of it in the window which make me drool just thinking about them. So, the other place is probably more your cup of, um, chocolate.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I have stayed at the Quality Inn and it is really nice for one of those places. Pretty inexpensive, if I remember right.

Suneun, there are a ton of really cool places in Northampton...it is a really cool city. It's very liberal, and bills itself as the "the city that doesn't need men".. [Big Grin] There are a few really great used book stores there as well, including one that specialzes in fantasy/sicience fiction. I belive it is called "The Space/Time Continum....

It is a great place to walk around and see the sights, as long as you are tolerant of other lifestyles. I don't think that would be a problem, the only reason I mention it at all is that I failed to mention it once to visiters, adn they were freaked out by it a bit. Then again, they were older, more my parents friends than mine really.

I like NoHo a lot, but wouldn't want to live there myself...I am, after all, a guy... [Wink]

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Also, the park is only 15-20 minutes away from downtown NoHo, so it is a really easy trip. Once you pay the $4 admission you can leave and come back as many times as you want to (for that day).
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,

Noho is really only Noho for the lesbian-friendly-liberal locals.(NFLL)

The real locals(as in generational locals) refer to Northampton as Hamp. If you want to be manly, just refer to the town as Hamp and you will be fine.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"the park is only 15-20 minutes away from downtown NoHo"

More like five minutes.

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Martha hasn't chimed in yet on whether or not she can go yet has she? She went to Smith!
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

No, she is one of the people I haven't heard from yet, but that I hope is going to be there.

I am manly enough no matter what I call Hamp...or so I tell myself... [Big Grin]

Elizabeth, do you know where that fantasy/sci fi book store is in Hamp? I have never been there, and have tried to find it a couple of times with no sucess. I just found out the name of it a few weeks ago, but i have been hearing about it for years. I want to go there, just to browse....but not on the day of the picnic, or I might never make it to Look Park...lol

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Countdown beginning!

21 days left....

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

20 days!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yay!

I will bring my daughter's boom box and play Donna the Buffalo all day long.

Mwa ha ha ha.

Kwea
Member # 2199

19 days...

Elizabeth, Donna the Buffalo (and about 15 other groups) are playing somewhere near Westerly, RI on Labor Day weekend. Jenni and I were at the beach ( [Big Grin] ) this weekend and I saw a poster about it.

My parents live down there, and we will probably be there for Labor Day weekend, unless I am working. I doubt we will make the concert, but we will be in Westerly....

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

14 more days!

I need to start a list this week for things that we need...so we don't all bring the same stuff.

Jenni will probably make some cookies, and I am buying a box of burgers and a box of hot dogs. We also have some chicken because a friend of ours is allergic to red meat. i will also bring buns and condiments...or at least ketsup and mustard.

That won't be enough for everyone though....so let me know what you would like to bring, and I'll post it here.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
That is the Rhythm and Roots festival. You should come for a day. Lots of different roots music, and DtB is the host band. If you like to dance at all, there are some serious zydeco dancers who go there with their polka dot skirts and little black boots. It is fun to watch while I do my usual head-bob.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Where is it being held? I saw the poster down in Westerly, RI.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.