FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American vs. European "looks" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: American vs. European "looks"
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be careful. "The vapors" can deteriorate into a "brain cloud" if you don't watch it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel really bad for my mother. Not only had she gotten kidney stones when she was pregnant with me and had to deal with no medication for them, but she in labor with me for 25 hours (I had gotten my chin stuck in her pelvis bones and the doctor had to push me back in and wait for me to turn over), and both my brother and I had nice hard (and round) skulls (no squishy coneheads here).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't think you can rerail this thread *that* easily, jexx!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

After a hard day's work, the man comes home and is anxious to see his favorite thread, thinking: "Hey, maybe someone put some European looking pictures (of girls, duh !) in there !"

So... I open in, and... "Wow, Madame, I'm glad to announce you that you have twins !"
I mean, this in not derailment, this is high-jacking !

[uselessly trying to disarm the high-jackers and put the thread back on its course]

Anna, looking European is being overrated. But as I can't say you look pretty American (don't have a clue about what the last part should mean ?!), I'll say you look pretty, period.
    [question for mack]
      Was it or was in not a pick-up line ?
      You have 5 sec. 4. 3. 2. 1. 0. The answer in the next episode of THE PICK-UP LINES
    [/question for mack]

ludosti, I don't *remember* your landmark thread, I just went through about half of them on Sunday, so they're all fresh in my head. Btw, have YOU ever re-read it ?
  I know people probably thought of you as being European because of your short hair (kind of like this guy's ? [Hat] ), but as you said you really liked it there, some of the Bulgarian attitudes might have gotten imprinted in you...

[/uselessly trying to disarm the high-jackers and put the thread back on its course]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Me

And I hope the labor derailment isn't a hint for something. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Big Grin] [ROFL] so hard, am now [Cry]

You ladies are great!

We ought to just have the pregnancy, labor & delivery thread . All you ever needed to know - the collective wisdom of jatraqueros dispensed in humorously accurate fashion!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the fun in that, Shan? [Big Grin]

Nah, much more interesting to keep derailing threads (oops, the other one was one of mack's too) with snippets here and there.

And I was hinting nothing, mack. Hatrack threads simply wander in unpredictable directions . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right, rivka!

*Blows a choo-choo sound through pursed lips and keeps on chugging*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*winces*

You guys have managed to really really put me off child birth. There will be less Hatrack babies because of you!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and 'squish'.
What do you mean? Jexx made it sound as easy as squeezing toothpaste. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you mean? Jexx made it sound as easy as squeezing toothpaste.
[Big Grin]

*applauds Belle's doctor* That's really amazing!

Epesiotomies scare me, but then again, I'd much rather have one with foreceps delivery than a C-section.

You know, its really amazing what most books DON'T tell you about birth. Its hard to be an informed mother.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I was scared to death of having a c-section with my first kid.

After one labor with no meds, I changed my tune.

I ASKED for a c-section.

With general anesthesia. [Big Grin]

She wouldn't give it to me, though. I think that anticipation is just as painful as the pain. I'd rather be knocked out.

Of course, I'm kidding to some degree, I'm actually really squicked out by unnatural medical things...ie IV's, etc. I'd rather do it nature's way. (This coming from a chick that drinks like fifty soda pops a day.)

Unfortunately, I had to make a decision. Either do it nature's way with a midwife, but not be in extremely close proximity to all medical advantages, or get the bleeping IV and feel safer in a hospital.

I picked the hospital, but luckily my doctor ROCKS. No episiotomy, no shots, nothing except saline in an IV drip with the first child. (Of course there is also the pitocin they put in after you have the baby, but I didn't mind that unnatural stuff as long as the baby was out of me.)

And my doctor was so cool with the second baby, and knew I have simple deliveries, that she let me skip the IV in spite of hospital policy. I ended up getting a shot of pitocin because I didn't have the IV drip, but it seems like a fair trade-off to me. IV's are terrible.

OH and one tip for any people who may get IV's.

Request an anesthesiologist (sp?) to do your IV rather than the nurse. In many places, the nurses can't use the same kick-butt painkiller that they give you before the IV, so it hurts TONS more when nurse does it. The anesthesiologist will numb your hand much better with his meds, you won't even feel it.

Long live Dr. Chin and Dr. Wall!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time anyone complimented my rear, it was in England. I was told that I looked more European than the other American girls I was with. I took it as a compliment.

If you want to talk birth experiences, I'd love to! But I'd rather do it in another thread. I had no drugs, and I didn't go to a hospital. I had an awesome birth experience.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.