FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Photoshop Phriday - not this week! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Hatrack Photoshop Phriday - not this week!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, did some quick research, this is what I found:

Photoshop:
from adobe-$649 (psht, heck, no)

Photoshop Elements:(2.0)
from Adobe-$99.00
from Amazon-$54.99
from shopper.com-$50-98
from CDW-$48
from pricegrabber.com-$45

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Best Buy might have it cheaper, though. But my cookies won't let me check the website. [Grumble]
Oh well.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using a Mac or a PC?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $400 for the entire Adobe design package, which includes the professional version of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive, and something else I never use.

That was through the college bookstore, though - so I don't know what the pro costs are.

By the way, the new challenge (if you can't read my stupid frickin' web page) is: The secret life of rock stars.

And it will soon be at a new location thanks to Hobbes darling.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Paint Shop Pro is actually capable of doing everything you need to do for this kind of contest; I use it myself for photo editing, in fact, because I prefer the interface to the cluttered, floating-toolbar approach that Adobe uses (mainly, I think, because Adobe used to be Mac-only, and Macs users LIKE lots of crappy floating toolbars.)

The trick with PSP is that you need to use layers; when merging two images, paste the layer and perform all operations there. (I like to set the top layer slightly transparent, so I can see the background below while I work.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Thanks TD! I was wondering whether PSP did the same stuff. I'd feel kinda guilty buying Photoshop since my Dad got PSP especially for me to use. I'll have to work with it some more, I'm still figuring it out.

And I have a Dell. ('cept it's not mine [Frown] )

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have used/own both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, my personal tendency is towards PSP. It is a great product.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Microsoft... (shakes head)

Just a reminder to all you fine folks that you have three days to prepare your entries for "The secret life of rock stars" edition of Photoshop Phriday.

If you're having trouble getting started, may I suggest some rock stars?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Oh, I have a great idea. i just have to find the time...... [Wink]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually used ArcSoft Photo Studio 2000, no idea how it compares to anything else but it was fun. We'll see if I have time to do this week...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Alright, friends and neighbors - the competition is piling up this week!

Remember to get yours emailed to
anniesphotoshop@yahoo.com by tomorrow!

And GOOD NEWS! The site is now being hosted by darling Hobbes, so no more obnoxious Geocities red tape to wade through!!!

So get to work! Or rather, stop working and start wasting time!

Annie
Member # 295

Bump, bump, bump!
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you should get on AIM and enliven Hatrack Chat.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

*sobs*
I don't have AIM either

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My entry is awful. It is so bad I can't ever look at it again. The only reason I submitted it is how much time I spent on it, but all that time was spent searching for images (non of which I found). It is awful. Truely terrible. I hate it. Ahhhh! [Embarrassed]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
So, like, when are the winners going to be announced?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I've emailed everything to Hobbes - he'll put them up when he gets a chance.

Antsy, PC?

[ October 17, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Annie
Member # 295

The page is kind of ready, but we're having HTML issues. It's kind of like ventriloquist web design. I cannibalized the html code of the old geocities page and emailed it to Hobbes, but I'm having issues with retarded pagemaker holdovers that are re-sizing all the images.

Anyway... hopefully I'll have it straightened out soon. I can give you the link to the retarded page, but I'd rather not while there's a chance to save my design goddess image. If I don't get it figured out soon, though, I might just post the links to the entries themselves.

Peace, love and chocolate,
Annie

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Uh, I can fix it for you. I have a hand with HTML.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, with auto-generated html, what is required is Herculean application of the delete key...

[Laugh] microsoft

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

[Laugh] one more lame, go-with-the-flow microsoft hater
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Pagemaker isn't a microsoft product . . .

But Frontpage does deserve to be ridiculed.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one more lame, go-with-the-flow microsoft hater
Didn't realize there was a 'flow.' My hate rises from a magmatic fury deep within me... Oh, wait... maybe that was lunch... [Wink]

quote:
Pagemaker isn't a microsoft product . . .
But Frontpage does deserve to be ridiculed.

I knew that about Pagemaker. But Microsoft has blazed the trail for so many 'who would be king.' [Smile]

[ October 17, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: John Van Pelt ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ok, here is the retard-o-page (you'll notice the images are all unnaturally constrained). Can you view the html on there, delete the size thingies, and email the revised stuff to Hobbes at wahra@babylonia.flatirons.org?

That is, if you have the time and inclination.

And - I just got another entry from Ryuko that is too funny to NOT post, so I'll get that in there when I get back in touch with Hobbes.

Thank you, oh techmaster!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Done, o' Queen of sarcasm.
Annie
Member # 295

Did I ever tell you you are one sexy man?

Stop by for some free ice cream at Annie's Ice Cream stand.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't do this earlier, I was taking a midterm. Glyn's htmls are up now.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Hooray!

Here it is. Thanks boys!

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmph. Not even my name on mine, much less a witty description. [Cry]

I'm going to eat worms.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh no!

It did have a witty description....

grr.

I'll try to fix that, AFR. For everyone else, meanwhile - Advice for Robots submitted Thom Yorke as Superman - quite a lovely entry if you ask me.

And Ryuko's is on the way - it was a little late, but is funnier than snot.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I don't know who the face is on the princess for "God Save the Force". But I was quite dazzled by the skin tones. It took a moment for me to recognize Tony...
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I don't know either but she sure is pretty...
Annie
Member # 295

Everyone HAS to look at this one - it's not on the site, but it's very much in the running. In fact, I think it gets 2nd place.

Ryuko

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
glynn, love the blueman mcdonalds.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I love you picture, Annie! U2 forever!
The blueman thing was good too. [Smile]
I almost died laughing. [Big Grin]

Annie
Member # 295

And yours wins for sheer brilliance of concept, Eruve. Hee hee.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Thank you.
*blushes*

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at it yet, so it looks really cut-and-pasted. But I should get better with practice. I hope. [Big Grin]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Quick question for PSP users:
When I exit the program, it merges all my layers into one. Then I don't have my layers all seperated for next time. Does anyone know how to fix that?

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It probably is due to the format you're using when you save it. (I use Photoshop and I know that with it there are only specific file formats that will retain all the separate layer info.)

[ October 17, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

you mean like jpeg, gif, etc.?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Yeah. PSP's native format should save the layer info. I'd recommend using it since some stuff doesn't transfer into the PSD format.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

what's PSD format?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

nevermind.
It's the photoshop format.

Annie
Member # 295

Or you can just follow my example and never exit Photoshop... [Smile]
Annie
Member # 295

And we've got one more late edition: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan's proof that yes, rock stars can be into higher education!
Annie
Member # 295

BUMP!

Two days left to submit your entries to
anniesphotoshop@yahoo.com
This week's theme - Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

Trouble finding inspiration? Have some mashed potatoes for dinner - I find that always helps.

Annie [Smile]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

I prefer green bean casserole for inspiration. mmmm....manna from heaven.
Annie
Member # 295

Whatever works for ya babe
Annie
Member # 295

Time grows short, mes amis - time grows short.

So put on your weird hats and get to work. (and do not try to tell me you don't have weird hats. I've seen them. All of you. Primal Curve. All of you.)

Annie [Smile]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.