FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Mafia Ghost Lounge (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hatrack Mafia Ghost Lounge
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless one of the mafia comes out and proclaims that they are a policeman as well...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes but that give the police and citizens an obvious target. A real police should still identify themselves and say that the other person is mafia.

When the police do not vote for lynching, and a citizen is killed, the person who put themselves forward as police is then identified as mafia and dies the next day. The police do not even have to check with the moderator about the guilt. All they have to do is look at any one who voted with the mafia. Again, for just one day two citizens are killed, but a mafia is put forth. The next round the mafia will be lynched.

Overall, I think this strategy leads to better chances for the citizens.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very intriguing and clever plan. Trouble is, it only takes one townie who is unwilling to go along with it, or doesn't pay enough attention to realize not to vote. And sometimes there's no doc to save the cop(s). [Cry] [Wink] But the idea of lynching NO ONE the first day or two is great. [Hat]

I can see some possible work-arounds for the mafia . . . but perhaps I'll save them for the next time I end up mafia. [Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

The rules do change a little if there is no doctor.

My biggest problem is figuring out a way to let people know that the second and third cop are for real.

My basic premise is that the mafia need secrecy and quite. The more info that is out there the harder it is for them to work.

Of course this only works with citizens who are willing to die to protect the group; to help the group win. Such selfless sacrifice. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The other problem is that the mafia has voting power -- so they could choose to lynch anyway, making sure that it was a citizen they voted for. With the citizens abstaining, there would be nothing to stand in the mafia's way. Just a single vote would do it.

And btw...the doctor in this game has rules to the way he can choose a save. I restricted him to only being able to save a person once. Once chosen, he cannot choose that person again at a later date.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Jeni,

But the problem would be unless there was an idiot in the game the fact that they voted to lynch when every one else was not voting would make them a target.

I did not know about the save only once. That would put a small crimp in things.

I still feel that not lynching the first round or two is a good idea and lettinig every one know that if you vote then you are saying you are mafia would be enough to keep them from voting.

msquared

jeniwren
Member # 2002

No one knew about that except the doctor.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh and in a small game, by none of the townsfolks voting for the first two days, you'll end up with five folks dead before the townies ever take a stab at it...

The mafia could just have two of their members vote to lynch, saving the rest for behind the scenes work.

Try again M2, you haven't beaten the system yet...

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I don't know Sop. If the mafia vote to lynch someone on Day 1, one of their number gets lynched on Day 2.

Lets talk time line.

Day 1 a Citizen gets killed. No lynching by townies on day one.

Day 2 Possible lynching by townies from Day 1 and another Citizen dies by Mafia.

Day 3- repeat.

If all the townies agree(and the mafia have to act like townies or they become suspect) then only the one Citizen dies on Day One and one Citizen on Day 2. Any one arguing for lynching or who actually votes becomes suspicious, becuase early on with no info to go on, random lynching mainly helps the mafia by reducing the number of Citizens. If the townies make the mafia do all the work then the townies last longer.

Remember the lynching is not secret. People see who voted and who they voted for. If all the townies are told do not lynch on day one or wait until the cop says who is mafia, then the mafia can not use the lynch to get another townie with out exposing themselves.

msquared

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I love all the conjecture in this, but how much application could we actually see. Just discussing a strategy openly allows others to look for the loopholes. These strategies are all well and good, but humans will surprise you. They don't act rationally.

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
The best laid plans of mice and men
Are doomed to failure before they begin.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
"Four things better than all things are
Horses and Women and Power and War"
-The Ballad of the King's Jest

I've got ten bucks on the townies! Any takers?

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

I did not say it would guarentee a win, just increase their chances becuase the townies would die at a lower rate. The longer the game goes on the better for the townies.

msquared

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
HDD:

Have you ever SEEN a well laid mouse plan fail? HUH?!?! HUH?!?!

Yeah...I didn't THINK SO! [Taunt] [Laugh]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ok from the other thread I was haunting.

Well SirReal is a townie and Damander is police. That leaves 4 and at least one of those, I think is a cop. Fugu is probably a townies since he was also a temp police. That leaves three AFR, Avadaru and Dead_Horse. Well does the other cop want to come out in the open? Damander should be able to use the process of elimination to let us know who the other two mafia are.

msquared

Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, how I missed the sarcasm that is Hatrack. Thank's Evie. [Hat]

[ September 02, 2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Head Ditch Digger ]

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

No problem.....anything to prove that i am superior...

btw, there's an AWESOME bit by Eddie Izzard about "the best laid plans of mice and men." I think it's on his "Definitive Article" show. I would highly recommend checking it out, as it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

:Swish and flick:

:Apertifs appear before each ghost and guest, or are refilled as needed:

:Thinks-- This magic stuff is pretty cool indeed:

Everyone, a toast.

:Foists a snifter of Brandy:

To jeniwren, author of us all!

:Takes heavy swig, but cannot down it all:

[Cool]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Hear hear!

*chugs entire contents of drink*

ah.......thanks Erik

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

:Has trouble catching his breath:

That's really good brandy!

Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- Is thoroughly confused [Confused]
can anyone tell me what this post isabout?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

You're not dead yet!
Evie3217
Member # 5426

We are the dead from the Mafia game that's going on now. When we die, this is where we come to hang out and eat to our heart's content
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in life I have the curse of Tantalus (a.k.a. am taking Prednizone) I can eat all day and never sate my hunger
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Is it contagious?

And if it's contagious, how bout hanging out!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
*floats in*

Bartender...I need a Manhattan.

*sheepish laugh*
I can't be lynched twice can I?

Hey Ryan...just so you know, I never said I wasn't mafia and you never asked. What's the Pred for? (Or no telling?)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Ah, time to relax. This place hasn't changed a bit.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
You evil mafia.. why did you vote for me:'(
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

Youth, don't ask what you don't want answered.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please tell me! [Hail]
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Please oh please, tell me! [Hail]
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

I don't know. I was not privy to the reasoning.

I was just making a statement.

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Still hiding the truth after death... I see how it is. So, you think it's gonna be the mafia or townspeople who win?
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

I hesitate to say anything, or to speculate. I do not want to be accused of revealing anything.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

The suspense is killing me. Is there any immunity for second person killed by mafia?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

*ponders the implications of suspense killing someone who is already dead*

Youth, sorry, but first day immunity just goes to first day Mafia hits. Better luck next time!

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

But... I'm too young to die [Cry]
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

You're already dead.

Make the best of it.

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Yeah you are right! Hello evil demons!! [Wave] [Evil] [Evil Laugh] Dead people party! I don't have to follow the drinking laws now that I'm dead do I?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I was too smart for my own good...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you believe this?? After all the ^$(#%^ evidence I set before everyone, they STILL believed jamaha (aHEM!!) and turned around and voted for me!!! And she DID turn out to be mafia!!!! I'm just glad I was RIGHT!!! I may be a ghost, but I'm a gloating ghost. [Wave] We need Erik to kick the bucket and start making chocolate shakes. Where is he?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Yeah! Yesterday I wanted Eslaine to live, so that he could play, but today he needs to die, so I can hang out with him.

Die, Erik!! DIEEE!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

We better not clamor too loudly. What if he isn't mafia and we just kill him so he'll make chocolate shakes? [Smile] That could be bad.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I suppose... But still...
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Each day I get more and more confused!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow! [Eek!] I just now found out I'm supposed to be dead! Does anyone know when that happened? Oh well, I guess that's a good thing, I don't really have 'net access right now. [Frown]
*telepathically kicks computer at home*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

How about some ghost mafia!?! Can i be the Godfather?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Eruve, you didn't post for two days running. Sorry...I'd be willing to reinstate you, but since your role is now known, I can't. [Frown]

Perhaps next time. [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ah, soon to be joined by hansenj...the two roommates were MAFIA! Go rivka with your suspicious self!!

Dang. I guess that means we won't have Erik for another 2 days. *sigh* [Wink]

Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I said I wouldn't post on the other thread, unless, of course, it's entirely fluff....rivka, I did tell you hansenj's posting style changed, not that everyone's did. You had never seen mine as a citizen, only as police, so how would you know about mine. And the difference in hansenj's posting style is slight enough that I probably am the only one who truly can recognize it. I have lived with the girl for two years now.....

Dang, too bad jeniwren gave the police another guess. In a real live game of mafia the police guess before they find out the kill, during the night time. I think it would be a good change in rules for next time, jeniwren. And m2, you didn't flush the mafia out, we were opposed to it even before we became mafia. There are many others who are opposed to it and said so and you don't seem to be suspecting them...I can't stand when people think they are so clever.

(Wow, I really do get way too into this game. It's nothing personal to anyone playing, it's just all in good fun. But if you think I've taken things too far I truly am sorry.)

Now I'm just going to relax and watch how the game play out, and await the arrival of my wonderful roomie. [Big Grin]

*whips up a bowl of double noodle soup to nurse her cold, realizes she's dead so she can't be sick any more*

Gee,this dead thing definitely has it's positive side [Big Grin]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.