FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Breaking Bad Season 4 is starting tonight. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Breaking Bad Season 4 is starting tonight.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, that would be Walt.

While, in the first episode, I did feel for him, and understood why he did what he did... as episodes progressed and I learned more about this guy, I realized that the main reason he was in that current position was pride, not injustice.

Early in season two, when they finally got done with the whole Tuco thing, and the elaborate lies to escape suspicion... when Jesse asked him over the phone, in surprise, why he actually wanted to continue this, Walt answered "what's changed?" in a cold voice that let me know that, even if his cancer disappeared, even if something better came along, he was going to do this. He was not going to stop.

Oh, lookie, season four and his main concern is finding an excuse to kill another guy...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I just think we kind of laugh at him because Walt is right underneath his nose. Walt tells him about the money in his duffel bag and Hank laughs.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My new prediction for the climactic death:

Hank. Walt is going to kill him, to prove his loyalty to Gus (because he's too afraid of Gus to do anything to him directly, without Jesse's help, and because Hank will discover something crucial).

And of course Walt will hate Gus more than ever and continue to scheme against him (into season 5).

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Good call! Perfect for the direction they are going with Walt.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Spoiler from last week:
down below, don't look
If George R.R. Martin was writing this series, either Hank or Jesse would have been killed by the other one in that fight.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt wouldn't kill Hank.

This season has to end, somehow, with someone killing Gus. Walt has been plotting his death all season, and Jesse is an incredibly unlikely to do it, though, they do need a way to keep Jesse in America.

I don't know. Part of me thinks Hank is in trouble, but his case doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Besides, like Walt said, if Hank were to suddenly turn up dead in the middle of investigating a drug lord? Way too suspicious. I don't think anything is off limits in this show, but logically, he should be safe for awhile.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

An accident in the pool of his brother in law after all his health problems? No one is going to bat an eyelash.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

SPOILERS

I really liked last's episode. Jessie pulls off the cook, and saves Mike and Gus. Walt shows emotion and admits he effed things up with Jessie and is real with his son. Skyler got to pull the rug out from Menekie, and Bob Odenkirk is a gem!

I'm glad we are not falling flat on the face of "Walt is a power hungry a-hole who alienates everyone around him and or tries to kill them."

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That was a game changing episode in a number of ways. It seems like most of this season has been build, but this was a payoff.

I'm just hoping it doesn't lead to Jesse being alone in the deserts of Mexico.

How badass was the camera work and editing in the last few minutes when it all went down at the hacienda?

The "let's get real" moment with Walt was maybe the only time I've actually been interested in his character all season. I know the show centers around him, but he's become totally uninteresting. Maybe he's finally starting to get over his self-denial and narcissism. Hard to tell though if this is genuine remorse, or a hiccup.

How ironic would it be if after all that Walt has done wrong, Skyler, little Ms. Planner, actually undid everything with Ted? I wouldn't put it past him to extort money out of her.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing my best to ignore all these spoilery posts, I only just watched the first three seasons streaming on netflix.

I just wanted to say that as a person with a deformed foot I thoroughly enjoyed the scene where Walt was teaching Walter Jr. how to drive. I was left to teach myself how to drive, but I did have that same conversation with family members about how I need to drive with both feet. The only thing that would endear that scene to me more is if I learned that RJ Mitte had something to do with its inception.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
He hasn't been that likable (and he's been slanting this way since season 3), but he's been totally interesting.

"I am the danger." *car explodes.

But yeah, the way they kind of ensemblized this season has been really good.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Frankly I haven't found him interesting either, not this season. I'm just kind of over it. They need to change the dynamic somehow.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I wouldn't say Walt has been uninteresting, but I really have been waiting on the switch up, and I'm hoping we've come to it.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard this show was good, but whenever I hear a lot of people saying how good a show is I always skeptical and tend to make a point NOT to watch the show. I don't know why I do that, maybe because I am afraid the show will get cancelled before they are able to tie it all up.

This was one of the reasons I didn't start watching Lost until Season 6. I did a 1 month Lost marathon to get caught up before Season 6 started airing.

Last night I was extremely bored and wanted a new show to watch, and I noticed that Netflix now has the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad. I remembered reading here that a lot of people like it, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Now I know what I have been missing. This show is absolutely amazing. It looks like I am going to have another marathon coming soon.

One thing though. I noticed that this airs on AMC, but in the show I watched there were a couple of F-words. Not a big deal, just didn't know networks were able to air it. I thought it peculiar because there was one short shot of a women's breasts but it was blurred out.

I just thought it was kind of strange that they would edit out the breasts but not the F-Words.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

They do edit out the f-bombs for TV, it must be the "dvd" (streaming) versions which induce the rude humping word.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
How did they work the nudity? There was a guy (I forgot his name, he is Walt's partner) that was coming out of a woman's house and she was nekkid. I assume they just blurred it out or edited the scene, but I found it peculiar all the same, especially since it was blurred for the netflix version while adding back in the profanity.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I don't remember specifically, but I'd bet that the blur was there for broadcast as well. I don't remember any nudity ever actually being shown. If yo tell me the episode, I'll look for it though, as I have every single ep on my dvr.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was just one episode (the first?) that had some nudity and it was blurred out on TV. I haven't seen the DVD version.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The strip club flash back scene, but all those women had pasties on.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Dude, I can't wait for next week's episode. I'm depressed I can't watch it now.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The camera work in this episode, and some of the imagery, was the strongest I might have ever seen on television.

SPOILER

How about the scene in the desert with Walt and Gus where the clouds constantly bathe the two of them in shifting patterns of darkness and light?

How about the very last scene where Walt is depicted as almost literally laying in his own grave, and the fact that he was pulled there by a desire for money! Many, that's powerful symbolism, especially the way the camera sort of broke the fourth wall to pan up and away from him. Very interesting.

That episode was season finale quality. I can't imagine what they do in the next two that still produces any sort of cliffhanger. Near as I can tell though, Walt just crossed the Rubicon. He had Saul call the DEA, and there's no going back from that. Saul might get out of it, but they'll know that Walt was the tip off. Gus already leveled his threat, so it remains to be seen what will happen, but something has to give.

Also, did anyone notice how happy Jesse was in this episode? And did anyone notice that in order for Jesse to be genuinely happy, literally every other character in the show had to be suffering. I found it fascinating since he's suffered for so long, and the writers chose to literally place every character in the show in turmoil except him. The contrast was startling.

For a season that has had a lot of let downs for me, this was an amazing episode.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

SPOILER(everything)

What if Jesse contaminated Gus' water when they were walking through the border/

My only complaint is that I hated the end of the Ted thing. It was just loopy and it's the same act of god shit they did in Season 2. Otherwise, this season has been amazing. Love the part where Walt uses that dude's dollar to buy a soda. It was so awesome. It's gonna be a bummer when this show is over. But we'll still have Mad Men and Game of Thrones.

Also, more on the last shot. The show begins with a shot of Walt's head framed through a video camera. This episode ends with his face framed through that opening in the floor. Also Cranston is amazing.

It's weird. I was rooting for Gus and episode ago, and now I want to kill him again despite how awesome he still is.

[ September 26, 2011, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: umberhulk ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If his water was contaminated, he'd already be dead.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

It's been 4 1/2 days. He would die that night. It was also a lower ammount that what they tried to use on Tuco.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I have to disagree about Jessie...it isn't in anyway required for others to suffer for him to be happy. He is happy because he has a place where he is needed, got to be the hero, support his partner, get the girl, save her son, make money, not be hooked on drugs, got over killing Gale...he has stability, prosperity, respect, righteousness and purpose, who wouldn't be happy?

I don't think for a second he poisoned Gus, by the by.

I have to agree about the camera work...top notch. This show as really accepted the challenge of great story telling that elevates the medium and makes me feel better in a day and age of "Jersey Shore" and "Dancing with the Stars".

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying he's happy BECAUSE the others are suffering. I'm saying it was an artistic choice by the writers, to juxtapose his happiness against the suffering of every other character.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ahhh...gotcha.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I don't think so either.

BUT WHAT IF HE DID?

scifibum
Member # 7625

Well, my last prediction seems to be dead wrong at this point. [Grumble]

I'm not sure I understand why they didn't have more money by now. Back when he first dealt with Gus, Walt got a million dollars for a couple of trash bags full of drugs; he's made a hundred times that much by now. Is he getting paid so much less? I suppose he isn't paying for materials or equipment at this point, so it makes sense. I can't remember the agreement he had with Gus.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He's being paid fairly well, but losing $800K to buy the car wash and $600K to pay off Ted pretty much zapped what they had saved up.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Yeah, I was always thinking, man they're spending their shit fast. There's also the two cars. Hank's and Walt's medical stuff. Saul's cut. And fact that he splits his salary with Jesse (though there was also Gale's former salary). And some other bullshit Walt bought. Like buying extra for his model house.

The agreement was three million every three months. But Gale gets fired, so Walt and Jesse would pool the overall salary and split it.

scifibum
Member # 7625

I'm not sure if there's anyone left to root for. Gus isn't just a hardcore businessman who missed his Ethics class, he's apparently pure evil. Walt alternates between extreme hubris and trembling. It's nice to see Jesse find a backbone, but he finds it in gaining the respect of Gus and Mike, who are not very nice.

Skyler's turning out to be just as impulsive and arrogant as Walt once she has a sufficiently ugly dilemma in front of her (maybe there's something there that will help fill out the remaining seasons), Hank has always been too smug to be sympathetic, and pretty much everyone else is either pathetic, ridiculous, or a stony henchman.

Weird that I still like the show. [Smile]

I don't think the writers like people very much.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I remember Walt telling Skyler that he makes 7 mil a year.

I think the point of having all the characters have negative traits isn't that the writers don't like people, but recognize the truth about people, that is, that we are flawed but still loveable despite our flaws. I think in this way, the writers have succeeded spectacularly.

I watched the Expendables on netflix while folding laundry the other day and found myself longing for Breaking Bad. All the characters in the movie were stereotypes, written without depth or any kind of thought to making them well rounded. The dialog also made me pine for Breaking Bad, as it was entirely situational and catch phrasy, not honest and character illuminating as is with Break O' the Bad.

Yes, they have pushed Walt to the edge of likeability, but I feel (hope) that his journey isn't a two dimensionally linear one and he will grow into the kind of complicated human we can be entertained by and enjoy as well as relate to and admire.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hank, while flawed, is by far the most virtuous character left on the show, if that's the sort of thing that matters.

In terms of who you WANT to be happiest though? Has to be Jesse.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Skyler is more likeable now than she was before. She used to feel like a plot device. Hank is a baller. The only real way hes flawed is the one time he beats the shit out of Jesse. He's breaking the law right now, but whatever. Either way, I think people are too binary with characters. It's more complicated than well ya like them or you don't.

Expendables was alright. Gonna watch Killer Elite.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
So that was quite a finale. What did you guys think of it?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That was probably the most badass season finale I've ever seen.

Though I have to say, the last 30 seconds had me shaking my head in frustration. Walt is irredeemable.

How great was the face acting from Salamanca?

The Skeletor moment was pretty sweet.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

I went into this episode thinking that Walt had poisoned the kid. Also, that last image of Gus I think might have been burned forever into my brain. I think this episode had one of the two most frightening lines in the whole show- one being "I am the one who knocks" and the other being "I won".

My prediction for next season- I think Jessie will find out about Walt poisoning the kid (and possibly Jane too). And then it will end up being Jessie vs Walt, and Mike will come back to ABQ and possibly help out Jessie. Hank will find out that the laundry fire and the assassination of Gus happened on the same day- leading him even closer to Heisenberg.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm sure Hank won't miss that Gus is dead and the laundry burned. He'll be all over it. But where does it lead to from there?

The only way Jesse finds out about Jane and the kid is if Walt tells him. I mean, maybe he'll see the flowers at Walt's house, but if Walt was smart he'd just get rid of them. Only Walt knows about Jane though, why would he say anything when they are finally back on the same page?

Shawshank
Member # 8453

He nearly told him in Fly if you recall. I'm not sure why that would come up, but I mention it could happen.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It was one heck of a season closer, but I totally disagree about the Skeletor moment, it sucked so hard that it nearly ruined the whole thing for me. It was cheesy and unrealistic, looked stupid and was plain dumb as a "gotcha" moment where we are lead to believe that Gus lives and then we find out the "truth". Half my head is missing (therefor half my brain) I'm gunna walk into the hall way and straighten my tie. Bull hockey! They tried to be famous and fell flat on their face.

quote:
Walt is irredeemable.
+1
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Half my head is missing (therefor half my brain)
Actually, it looked to me like it was just the flesh from that side that was gone and his skull was still intact. Pretty far-fetched, yes, but I still thought it was awesome.

EDIT: Found a screen shot. Upper scull intact, minus right eyeball, lower right-hand jaw gone. It's plausible that he could stand up, take a few steps, and straighten his tie.

Screen shot and Gus' death scene here (warning- not for squeemish): http://starcasm.net/archives/123597

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Okay, no brain missing, but still stretching and failing in my book. On a show so grounded and plausible we have a move straight out of a B action flick.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I liked it. You're right when you say it was an unrealistic move, but I think it was the right move aesthetically.

The other move that would have worked really well is to see Gus's reaction to Hector's bomb. Then cut to Walt in the car listening to the radio.

scifibum
Member # 7625

I think the plausibility has taken periodic vacations anyway. What makes the show strong, for me, is not consistent realism. I don't really buy some of the central premises anyway. It's the character development. And Gus's character was fussy, precise, and inhumanly disciplined. I loved the idea that those things were so ingrained that when he's in shock and dying he's still expressing those traits.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I could agree bum, if the damage had been more realistic and less Terminator Two.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

What central premises do you not buy?
scifibum
Member # 7625

I guess "central premises" was a hasty and inaccurate phrase.

One thing I don't buy is Walt's ability to make nearly pure meth in a home lab, especially because it's portrayed as a unique method that he perfected more or less instantly. To me that's like the hacker who's in the DoD mainframe in a matter of minutes.

Other ongoing plausibility busters: miracle cure from cancer, dozens of narrow escapes, serial murders with no apparent investigative pressure afterward.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sitting there going "THAT IS NOT REALISTIC AND I CANNOT ENJOY THIS". It's probably the best show around right now. I enjoy Dexter about equally, and it commits the same reality violation sins, only much worse.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Great Season.

I hope enough time passes in season 5 that Walt's daughter is a little grown up. That could be interesting.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think we're going to get that far. Only like a year or something has even passed since the show even started. It blew me away when I was reminded that.

This show moves through time very slowly.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.