FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Call of Duty: Black Ops aka Crack Cocaine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Call of Duty: Black Ops aka Crack Cocaine
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
Tom states his opinions as facts. He's been doing it for 11 years. I can't honestly say I understand people still expression surprise at this.
I guess its just the obviously subjective nature of the word "fun" that throws me. Having someone declare their opinion as fact on something that's hopelessly subjective makes my brain seize up I guess [Smile] .
What don't understand is why so many people feel the need to preface things which are obviously opinion with "I think" or "In my opinion"? Why do so many think that failure to preface an obvious opinion with such a disclaimer is tantamount to declare ones opinion to be indisputable?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to speculate, I'd say people feel the need because it sometimes actually does distinguish between describing a subjective evaluation and telling someone else their own evaluation is wrong. Because the latter can be somewhat rude, many people err on the side of caution in order to avoid causing offense.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, REALLY miss the SpecOps missions. My brother and I spent HOURS trying to master those with the last game, and it was a blast.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
This game is made by treyarch, and while they're competent, there's no way they could od something as awesome as spec ops.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
Tom states his opinions as facts. He's been doing it for 11 years. I can't honestly say I understand people still expression surprise at this.
I guess its just the obviously subjective nature of the word "fun" that throws me. Having someone declare their opinion as fact on something that's hopelessly subjective makes my brain seize up I guess [Smile] .
What don't understand is why so many people feel the need to preface things which are obviously opinion with "I think" or "In my opinion"? Why do so many think that failure to preface an obvious opinion with such a disclaimer is tantamount to declare ones opinion to be indisputable?
Because there are lots of people out there that actually DO consider their opinions to be indisputable.

Also, lots of listeners aren't all that great at differentiating between recitation of fact and offering of opinion. Expressly identifying them can cut down on confusion a lot of the time.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I play Aliens vs. Predator to simulate being an Alien or a Predator.
I play Call of Duty to simulate being an American.

Seems like fantastical escapism to me [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
The definition of an opinion is something you think is correct, so this discussion is pretty pointless, imo.

I'll say "imo" if I'm just trying to be friendly or if I'm basing it off of a small exposure to something like having only played an RTS for a week or something.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I play Aliens vs. Predator to simulate being an Alien or a Predator.

Seems like fantastical escapism to me [Wink]

[ROFL]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

no, not surprised by that. its how reliably he doesn't understand the entertainment value of some games!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wouldn't say that's true. I understand the entertainment value of shooters, although the popularity of certain shooters compared to superior ones that are more fun surprises me; I suspect it has something to do with the "deer hunting" effect, and perhaps something else to do with people being silly enough to play their shooters on the Xbox instead of the way shooters are meant to be played. *grin* But I maintain that MMOs are popular in a way that is largely disconnected from any entertainment value at all, unless you consider smoking outside in the rain to also be "entertaining." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

Well, heck, you experience a more appropriate simulation playing Grand Theft Auto IV. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I play Bejeweled when I want to simulate being a Belgian. I've always assumed the people being hauled out of their cars in GTA who don't even try to stop me are Canadians.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Well, I wouldn't say that's true. I understand the entertainment value of shooters, although the popularity of certain shooters compared to superior ones that are more fun surprises me; I suspect it has something to do with the "deer hunting" effect, and perhaps something else to do with people being silly enough to play their shooters on the Xbox instead of the way shooters are meant to be played. *grin* But I maintain that MMOs are popular in a way that is largely disconnected from any entertainment value at all, unless you consider smoking outside in the rain to also be "entertaining." [Smile]

I play Forgotten Hope, Project Reality and Arma 2/Joint Ops high on the fun/realism list.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Well, heck, you experience a more appropriate simulation playing Grand Theft Auto IV. [Wink]

Pshaw.
Too realistic.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.