FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dexter Season 5 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dexter Season 5
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG OMG OMG!

This episode makes up for everything that bothered me. Great to see Aster, glad to see her interacting with Lumen in a way that established a (relatively) positive relationship between the characters, glad to see the tension stepping up.

I'm hoping that the season finale cliffhanger involves Debra figuring out Dexter's secret.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm hoping that the season finale cliffhanger involves Debra figuring out Dexter's secret.
That has been my fervent hope for a couple of seasons. I hope it really happens this time. It would just seem cruel if they dangle the possibility again and then deny it- again.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
See! La Guerta does sorta have something akin to a heart.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It does not make sense for me why she threw Deb under the bus on the club shooting. Somehow her tearful "don't be mad at me" speech seemed to persuade Deb that it wasn't a horrible thing to do, but I didn't really understand why. Maybe I need to watch it again.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It does not make sense for me why she threw Deb under the bus on the club shooting. Somehow her tearful "don't be mad at me" speech seemed to persuade Deb that it wasn't a horrible thing to do, but I didn't really understand why.
I think Dexter has started relying a little more on the "Idiot Plot" technique which I'm not thrilled about. It's not nearly as bad as a lot of other shows but still. I always hate it when situations (in any show/movie) get set up that would be resolved if the characters just explained themselves (and most of the time they're given the chance that any rational person would take) and then wont for no good reason (often "pride", but not realistic pride).

Her speech was actually kind of the opposite. It was clearing up the idiot plot problem. She explains that doing what she did will get Debra a few weeks (?) time filing and then everything will have blown over for everyone. It doesn't sound very realistic bust since it's a TV show and apparently it already has blown over I guess it works.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

My take was that Deb still thinks that La Guerta's betrayal is horrible. But Deb felt that not pursuing a murderer for political reasons was crossing beyond horrible. When La Guerta changed her mind, Deb was appeased- but only on that issue.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly wasn't that clear on Deb's reaction (she's written so unstable I can never really figure out when she'll be set-off be something five shows later) but I was confident enough about La Guerta's meaning to post something. Doesn't mean I wasn't wrong though ... [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on the internet theorized that Lumen is going to end up taking the fall for the murders, allowing her to get written off the show and Dex to maintain the status quo. This has the frustrating ring of truth to it. I really hope she stays on for at least another season.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It relies on Lumen not saying anything about Dexter. Which, if Dexter allows her to take the blame, doesn't ring true.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I forget, does Dexter's code make exceptions for murderers that he likes? Or is he allowed to kill Lumen?

[Razz]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Hmm. I think the conclusion of this episode came a bit too early. Wasn't exactly unreasonably, but I'd have preferred them waiting a few episodes and requiring a little more effort on Dexter's part. Also seemed like Lumen should have at least some mild hangups about sex in general. Dunno.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

I was happy with them getting together. I think Dexter's lack of effort was pretty reasonable given Lumen's history. He didn't want to push for it- it had to be extremely clear the push was coming from her. I expected her to have hangups about sex, but I could also see her initiating it showing her taking back over control of that part of her life and taking it away from her rapists.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I guess that does make some sense. It worked, but I do kinda feel like her character was written too conveniently to create a love interest for Dexter, rather than be the sort of character who is written for their own purposes. I'd have liked to at least pretend to keep it ambiguous for a while.

Then again, since she's probably getting written off in two episodes (cry) better make the most of it.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

Ha ha. I'll share a box of tissues with you when her time on Dexter comes to an end.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I watched the scene again and was actually really impressed with the acting subtleties. The first time I watched it I was trying to do something else at the same time and didn't get to really pay attention, but you can really see a lot of conflicted emotion in both Dexter and Lumen's face. While I still think Lumen's character is a bit contrived, once you accept the fact that her character exists, I think the way the sex scene played out made a lot of sense, and touched upon all the issues it needed to.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

GAHHH!!!!
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Alright. I am annoyed that they chose to keep the status quo, but confess that the way in which they maintained it made sense.

The part with Deb was particularly great. The suspense was real, because if there was EVER a time that Deb could have found out and been able to accept it, that would have been it. But her decision not to look behind the curtain was beautiful in its own way and I'm okay with them doing it.

Lumen leaving.... eh... okay honestly that was the right, healthy thing for her to do, and certainly better for Dexter than her getting killed. Oddly, it's a sort of GOOD version of the CDC from Walking Dead. (Spoilers if you haven't seen Walking Dead. I think if you like Dexter you'll probably also like WD, and there's only six episodes so far)

-

-

-

-

I hated the CDC in Walking Dead for being suddenly introduced and then destroyed in one episode, and for providing no new information at ALL (seriously, the dude couldn't even figure out if the plague was fungal? What the hell kind of scientist are you if you haven't at least rule OUT some disease possibilities?)

The one thing the episode DOES, but in a lame, heavyhanded manner, is it removes all hope from the show. The brightest minds in the US studying the plague were unable to come up with a cure. It creates an atmosphere of total desolation, which is important.

In this case, Dexter thought he found his soulmate. He literally is never, ever going to find a woman who can come close to Lumen's ability to look him in the eye and understand him. And even understanding and loving him, Lumen STILL could not stay with him. Rita's death left him alone, but Rita never truly understood him. Lumen gave him enough genuine hope for the future that losing her means basically losing everything. It was incredibly sad and poignant.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
The part with Deb was particularly great. The suspense was real, because if there was EVER a time that Deb could have found out and been able to accept it, that would have been it. But her decision not to look behind the curtain was beautiful in its own way and I'm okay with them doing it.
I am not okay with it. I'm not even sure why I watch this show. No genuine risks are ever taken and the status quo always remains. What's even worse than the Deb thing, is the Quinn thing. He's got to know Dexter killed this guy and was Kyle Butler and yet he's going to keep his mouth shut and be cool with it? Ludicrous.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of sick of them dangling the whole "is Deb going to find out" nonsense. Can she please just figure it out already!

I think the show is doing a decent job with storytelling and developing Dexter's character, but it feels like they're missing so much potential. Its like the writers are putting forth 70% in their efforts, and while its not bad, it could be so much better.

I went into tonight's episode hoping Deb would find out, waiting for the whole Quinn thing to explode, and looking forward to the showdown with Jordan Chase. But Deb didn't find out, Quinn was arrested and then released almost immediately, and Chase was ridiculously easy to kill. Yeah, the scene with Deb and the plastic sheet was intense, Lumen on the boat was a lovely scene, and Michael C Hall had some amazing scenes as Dexter, but it was a finale that played out with a fizzle when I usually expect them to go out with a bang and an amazing cliffhanger or something.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

It comes down a lot to expectations.

I DO strongly prefer shows that have strong, forward moving dynamic storylines. Most of my favorite shows are like that. And most of my favorite shows have another quality: they have been cancelled.

quote:
No genuine risks are ever taken and the status quo always remains.
When shows take risks, the results are often more dramatic and interesting. But "dramatic and interesting" is only one half of the equation - the other half is that a risk is an actual risk. It can cause a show to jump the shark if done wrong. And even if its done right, it can cause people to get confused and lose interest. There's a REASON most shows don't attempt to do it at all.

Dexter is fairly unique in that even though the status quo never changes permanently, each season is a single, forward-moving storyline. As far as formulas to stick to, it's not that bad. I agree that they missed out on a lot of potential this season, but the show is still among the best out there.

I think Dexter IS popular enough that at this point they can really afford to take some risks. But also bear in mind that Dexter's status quo has an EXTREMELY narrow margin of workability before the whole situation falls apart. In this case, Debra finding out probably also leads to Quinn finding out pretty quickly as well.

Right now, Quinn's actions are not logical, but they WERE feasibly in character. He doesn't actually know anything about Dexter for sure. He also doesn't want to antagonize Deb. (This feels a little off if you assume that he just started having feelings for her, but if you assume that there's been some chemistry all along its not unreasonable).

He's being deliberately delusional - choosing not to think about Dexter because he knows that if he does, he's likely to find out things that are going to ruin whatever he has with Deb. But as long as he DOESN'T think about it, he has plausible deniability, not only for the police but for his own conscience.

Rational? No. But people do irrational things like that all the time. It's a little contrived, but it's not unrealistic.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Deb knows.

Come on, she isn't stupid. She knows. She's seen Lumen, and she can see the resemblance.

"I am. I'm happy. You must be, too. Now that this is all over, I mean."

And the way Dexter looked at her, I think he may have a glimmer that she knows. And yes, that line is ambiguous. She could be referring to Aster and Cody being back in his life again. But I don't think so.

I don't think Deb has any idea that Dexter has killed anyone other than Jordan and his gang. I don't think she'd take that as well.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Hmm. I wouldn't be surprised if they went that route. I do hope that by the end of next season, the thing with Deb and Quinn and Dex has been resolved more definitively. After the way they ended this season I wouldn't bet on it, but could see Quinn and Deb both "knowing" without really admitting to themselves that they know.
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Deb knows.

Come on, she isn't stupid. She knows. She's seen Lumen, and she can see the resemblance.

But that still seems unlikely. Deb would almost certainly know multiple women who fit the type; why would Lumen stand out to her as a likely victim of the Chase gang?

I'll have to re-watch that part you quoted, about things being over now. That does seem like a clue that Deb is supposed to know. It just doesn't seem like she should.

Perhaps if I take into account that Deb found out that Dexter was personally involved with Chase, Lumen's connection to Dexter might then link her to Chase. Hmm.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Been watching some Julia Styles interviews. It seems like she was open to doing additional seasons. (She said "she kinda expected Lumen to get killed, but was shocked and saddened when she found out how she breaks up with Dexter, essentially rejecting him completely as a person").

I'm finding myself more and more wishing/hoping that she stayed on the show, not only to give Dexter a happy ending, but to give her some time to develop as a character in her own right, beyond being a plot device for Dexter's development. So far we've only seen her basically be portrayed as the perfect companion for Dexter, and if she's gone for good then she remains a perfect idol on a pedestal that he will always compare is life to. Whereas Rita had some plots that were unrelated to Dexter (getting a new job), or places where she was frustrated with him.

I really don't expect her to return. But since we DON'T have any cliffhangers whatsoever for Season 6, I can at least pretend for the next 9 months.

scifibum
Member # 7625

I think the "what will Quinn do" question is sort of an interesting tie to next season, if they use it (given how thoroughly they ignored Trinity this season, maybe they won't). Quinn's own character has always been sort of shady, and now he's in cahoots with Dexter, to some degree (the two might disagree on how much). That'll provide some interesting tension.
Lisa
Member # 8384

I like Quinn. But I don't see him accepting Dexter's hobby even if it means losing Deb.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.