FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Objectivism not so crazy afterall. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Objectivism not so crazy afterall.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if you take that POV, you can get used to dismissing anyone who brings up ideas that are widely deemed as ridiculous without even addressing their arguments. And most of the ideas we view as great and revolutionary today were deemed ridiculous and clearly false at some point, so.
True. But there is a kernel of genuine truth behind the internet logic of not feeding trolls; Rand is a troll in the philosophical world, just like creationists and birthers are elsewhere. They'll never shut up, so best just to ignore them.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
I've really only read The Blank Slate. I'm instinctually sympathetic with neurological reductionism, but Pinker's not a strong enough philosopher to avoid falling into the same sort of idealism that the Churchlands do.

ehh...even Dennett surprises me with his compatibilist take on free will.

[ March 10, 2010, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's quite right to say that Rand didn't follow the rules of philosophy. Rather, I think its more fair to say she didn't follow the rules of analytic philosophy. She's not a philosophical troll, but she does approach philosophy in a way that's inconsistent with how most current academic philosophers approach it.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Questioning multiculturalism is seemed as a kind of crime in Canadian intellectual circles and depending on context enough to get you hauled up in front of a human rights tribunal according to my professor.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it isn't.

For example, the actual federal minister responsible for multiculturalism is campaigning for pluralism over multiculturalism.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tresopax:
She's not a philosophical troll, but she does approach philosophy in a way that's inconsistent with how most current academic philosophers approach it.

Well, the conflict more comes from the fact that an academic philosopher who has the capacity to pick out logical flaws is in a perfect position to needle the holes in rand's claims and clearly demonstrate where she goes wrong.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
No, it isn't.

For example, the actual federal minister responsible for multiculturalism is campaigning for pluralism over multiculturalism.

According to my political science professor it is, multiculturalism as defined as "letting immigrants moved with no expectations to forget about their prior roots or expected to assimilate" as opposed to having them work to become Canadians and expect their children to be loyal Canadians with no ties to their former homeland.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
And you seriously think that there are not Canadians, especially Conservatives that question that idea of multiculturalism? (Or Liberals that question that definition for that matter?)
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.