FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hulu to start charging (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hulu to start charging
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they really haven't been paying attention to this whole "Web" thing.
I still say it's just a fad.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Live Journal went from all free to some paid. Napster went from free to paid. The Wall Street Journal charges for access to online content. It can work.

If it means better selection, it will work GREAT.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Live Journal went from all free to some paid. Napster went from free to paid. The Wall Street Journal charges for access to online content. It can work.

If it means better selection, it will work GREAT.

That's how I feel about it too. If they want to start charging they have to offer something that television does not. Choosing when to watch your shows is nice, but I don't think it's enough. Exclusive quality programming would be a possibility, or if by paying I can watch things commercial free.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
If it means having more than 4-5 episodes at a time of any series, I'd be willing to pay.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
They'll eventually degenerate into being commercial-funded. Remember, cable TV originally boasted commercial-free TV.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wall Street Journal existed in a non-digital pay-for-content form long before it went online, and said content had a significant non-digital audience. Napster was illegal; turning into a legitimate service cost it an enormous portion of its user base. ITunes has the advantage of a professionally designed user interface, brand name, hardware tie-in, and being one of the first into the legitimate digital music market. Most services that have gone from free-to-paid-subscription continue to offer a "free", usually commercial-driven model.
I'm just saying that Hulu cannot afford to offer the same service, only to charge a fee for it. There are too many alternatives, too many ways to get the content they offer without jumping through hoops. Cost and convenience brought them their audience; I really don't think they'll continue to thrive without them on brand name alone.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my question:

At what point does Hulu then become Netflix but without the massive borrowable library?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.