FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Haruhi Suzumiya Thread [ TIME LOOP IS OVAH!] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Haruhi Suzumiya Thread [ TIME LOOP IS OVAH!]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Isn't that from... the 80's or something?
1975, but don't worry, it's the kind of pretentious hipster ejecta that it is already becoming cool not to like, as it has long been adopted by the pseudo-scenester wannabe high school drama nerds, leading to the inevitable double hipster backlash. Needless to say it is better avoided, as it is in all actuality a tedious and incomprehensible pile of excrement that is too bad to watch alone, and too grave a social statement to watch with friends.

It's one of those weird pieces of Americana that teeter precariously between "so bad it's good," and "so bad it's awful," with successive generations of impressionable teens being confused as to whether they are meant to love it for its representation of all that is wrong in art, or because it actually *is* art.

You stole that from Tv Tropes and didn't source it, your a monster.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just socially awkward, but I couldn't possible disagree more. There is little I would not choose over a screening of that film.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

You stole that from Tv Tropes and didn't source it, your a monster. [/QUOTE]

Check and see if I copied a word. I didn't- in fact I disagree with the TV tropes article on it, and I just checked to see what that had to say.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's the kind of pretentious hipster ejecta that it is already becoming cool not to like
You're about twenty years too late. RHPS was uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then kind of awkward, then cool, then uncool, then cool again.

What can be said for it is this: it is a fun way to spend an evening. Trying to figure out whether it's currently cool or not is left as an exercise for the reader.

You can argue that the only thing it's safe to like as a pretentious hipster is something no one has ever heard of. To this end, it's probably best to make something up, and then act all smug and superior when people ask what it is or where they can get a copy. "Oh, you can't. I had to bootleg a copy in the original Russian, but really you can only get the full experience when you've got the whole troupe of mimes and a bassoon, as per Volskievchi."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
And Blayne: just like the words "plot hole" weren't invented by tvtropes, neither was a lot of things, including the term "so bad it's good."

I was gonna go over this sort of thing at length yesterday, but I didn't get to post my silly, lengthy post, due to computer issues. Such is life.

But anyway, as I would have said: tvtropes is no Bible, and get over your obsession with it. Describe things without referencing it, use your own opinions, ironically enough, like Orincoro did.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No. I like Tv Tropes. Its funny and awesome, I have few things to get obsessed about this is it.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

O...kay.

But seriously. You should use your own words, at least.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So anyways Lucky Star:

Lucky Star strikes me as a very fun Anime to watch, fun in the way that you can almost feel yourself havng fun with the cast, this is compounded if you can get some of the injokes like Aye Hirano Adam Westing as herself and her being the voice actor for Konata who cosplays as Suzumiya Haruhi who Aye voice acted as well!

Then there's the fun Otaku filling where Konata is a video game and MMORPG fanatic displaying many of the characteristics of the North American geek and with said groups study habits as well.

Where this goes from funny to awesome is how the writers really really really!! Did their research, sure some of the description shots of them "playing" an mmo seems incorrect the dialogue between the characters is spot on!

That and this series seems to thrive on seinfielding conversations and pulls it off pretty well can't judge it on the actual standards of Seinfield as after all its been a while and 90's humor wears off for a while, so as a refreshing difference for example having the principle cast talk about the proper way to eat a chocolait filled pastry seemed downright hilarious as you only expect it to last 5 minutes but goes on for about half the show! In different ways with minor breaks for other jokes.

Its almost like watching an animated version of your own life in an anime club but rather then say in my life experience which had 40 people here we have a situation where its more like 4 to 8 people so you got a more close knit character dynamic.

So you have Konata whose your standard video game otaku, then we have Kagami who does like games but not to Otaku levels preferring side scroller shooters and apparently the fans see some les Yay subtext between them though I haven't found anything yet. Kagami is pretty cool shes a tsundere but probably the more complex character of the four, Miyuki is the standard aaah moe cute girl whom I don't particularily like so far she just exists to explain advance concepts shes basically foil for the other three and then theres the fraternal twin of Kagami whom I forget her name which says a bit she seems a smaller version of Miyuki and just exists to soften the atmosphere and provide cheap laughs.

So we come back to Konata and Kagami whom have the better dynamics.

Then in the 4th wall segments "Lucky Channel" that plays at the end we have Akira Kogami and Shinsui or something or other, a standard strait man to be victimized by Bitch in sheeps clothing Akira which is an interesting dynamic and extremely funny as its a satirical poke at Japanese pop idol sensations as Akira "on screen" is this cute genki girl with a high pitched voice persona but "off camera" shes apparently a chain smoking deeper voiced jerk who feels threatened by anyone "cuter/more popular" then her whose been in "showbiz" since she was 3. She gives off the Woobie vibe for me and I have the urge to give her a hug when she gets bitchy dunno why, probably because shes only really like that because shes essentially been abused and possibly her life ruined to provide cheap entertainment to the masses so she'll probably be burnt out soon.

Though the Anime seems to if I read correctly understate her popularity, the manga apparently treats her a bit better.

The shows opening theme is completely nonsensical lyrically but is nice to listen to seems to be the next hare hare yukai in terms of its dance.

The only thing I dislike about the show is its animation style which i dislike on principle in any anime as it feels like a shortcut, a way to cut corners and save money, they can do better!

But for once I will not begrudge them points for it and will give Lucky Star 5/5 for being so good IN SPITE OF its animation quality that it deserves the extra mark.

Then again there's an argument to be made had it been a more detailed animation style might have been 6/5 [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Woops wrong thread [Big Grin]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have few things to get obsessed about...
That does not seem to be the case.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much the only times I've watched Rocky Horror, it's been in a cabaret house.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
You stole that from Tv Tropes and didn't source it, your a monster.

You know what was a monster? Frampton Comes Alive, 1976. Is there anyone you knew who didn't have that record?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
it's the kind of pretentious hipster ejecta that it is already becoming cool not to like
You're about twenty years too late. RHPS was uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then uncool, then cool, then kind of awkward, then cool, then uncool, then cool again.

Why wasn't I not misinformed?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:

But anyway, as I would have said: tvtropes is no Bible, and get over your obsession with it. Describe things without referencing it, use your own opinions, ironically enough, like Orincoro did.

To be fair, "so bad it's good" juxtaposed with "so bad it's awful" was indeed something I picked up on TV tropes. Still, the opinions stated are entirely my own.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Bah... but how can I tease Blayne about his over usage if you say that?! [Big Grin]
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another Downfall sub: Hitler learns that Endless Eight will continue for another episode. (warning: language)
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

This had better be a freaking joke.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

However, that was nevertheless hilarious.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

8 Episodes itll be won't it? we're on 7 going on 8 this week.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah wikipedia says its finished tomorrow.
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Episode 9 ends it
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Anyways just watched the OVA of "Read or Die" looks interesting its like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on.... something except the league are evil and clones of historical figures like Beetoven and Tesla.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes! Finally! Its over! And the last moment was so well done that I feel it was all worth the wait, hopefully there is the episode now where nagato snaps.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, it's done? Okay, now I should go watch it. Where are you getting it from? Reality lapse?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

www.mininova.org
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Torrents! I want my anime now!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Four episodes through the loop and wanting to stab my eyes out.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Isn't it annoying?

I mean, I gave my opinion earlier, and my opinion stands... but man.

At least we can feel for Yuki. Imagine being in her situation!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

600 years of doing the bidding of someone who based on the light novels is an asshole not that Yuki necessarily appreciates that.

In hindsight I think I like what they did ultimately with the loop on creative basis, its just really hard to sit through.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I occasionally have these flashes of, "Oh, hey, that's cool," or "Poor Nagato," or "Why is Koizumi the only one that says literally the exact same thing every single time? Is he a robot?" But most of the time my husband and I are drooling on the keyboard.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.