FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC recognizes same-sex marriage (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DC recognizes same-sex marriage
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
As a side note, I don't have any trouble with bestiality being made legal, on the grounds that I don't give a damn what happens to a horse. But it seems to me that even if marrying a horse were made legal, there would be some issues with the oath:

"Do you, John, take this horse, Dobbie, to be your lawfully married partner, to have and to etc?"

"I do".

"Do you, Dobbie, take this man, John, to be your lawfully married partner, to have and to etc?"

"Neeeeiiiiighh!"

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and if we are closing down bad logic arguments, let me see if I have this one right:

Gay parents may have children who are more likely to be Gay.

If they are more likely to be straight, that's not a flaw.

However, if they are more likely to be Gay, then they are producing flawed kids.

Gay kids are flawed, in the eyes of the state, because when they grow up they will produce Gay kids.

So since they may produce Gay kids, Gay couples should not be allowed to have/raise kids.

Circular Argument anyone?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
And of course many same-sex couples have biological children of their own, either their own from previous heterosexual relationships, sperm donation or by surrogate parents.

Of course the state has an interest in encouraging committed couples to marry. As Rakeesh said, stability, pooled resources, and increased responsibility are all worthwhile results. The inclusion of homosexuals into a social framework may encourage more commitment and less promiscuity among the gay community. And the Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide suggested that suicide rates are highest for gay, lesbian, and transgendered teens. The existence of a valid social framework, and the (hopefully) increasing acceptance of homosexuality may help lessen that rate.

Personally, I see this as potentially a strong aid to marriage itself, as many heterosexuals have been treating marriage rather casually for quite some time now. Divorce rate is, what, 50%? And here we have a class of people who see the institution of marriage as being so important, so necessary for a lasting relationship, that they are willing to undergo ridicule and abuse to achieve it for themselves. The idea that two gay men who have been together for 20 years have less of a valid relationship than Britney Spears' famous 55-hour marriage is a sad one indeed.

I would like to see marriage once again considered to be the joining of two people for life, and it matters little to me what the genders of those people are.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Eugenics people, think of the eugenics!

Arguably KoM you could ethically argue against Beastiality under the grounds of animal (accidentely wrote that as "anime") cruelty.

However between two consenting and sentient human adults the same argument can not be made.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Here in the US the purpose of the state is to help the people. All the people. Even the minorities. Even the gay folks.

While I agree with the general thrust of Darth_Mauve's post, I think this part is so horribly wrong that I have to object. The purpose of the state is to prevent harm; not to help.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"The purpose of the state is to prevent harm; not to help. "

The Constitution disagrees with you, rather explicitly.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Arguably KoM you could ethically argue against bestiality under the grounds of animal (accidentely wrote that as "anime") cruelty.

Yes, someone who cared about animals might do that. I explicitly explained that I do not give a damn what happens to a horse.

As an aside, it's 'bestiality', from the adjective, 'bestial'. Not from 'beast', although the root is presumably the same.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
In neither case is the purpose of the state to do what is good for the state.

Nor should people give up their happiness for the good of the state.

Someone made an argument that Homosexuality to the right is what Communism was 30 years ago--a rallying point. It was the devil we could all get behind and destroy. It was the threat so scary that true and good folks would obey their leaders blindly to be saved from it.

It is/was the devil that only with Christ-like striving could it be defeated.

Communism was defeated.

Faced with Homosexuality defeating them, they claim that for the good of the state---the happiness of a few must be denied. This is the same message that goes out daily on North Korean radio, that went out in each issue of Pravda.

To defend us from the new threat, they are becoming the old threat.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I do think there's a bit of nuance to be had here. There is a difference between being denied a marriage license, and being systematically starved in a gulag. Do try not to go totally overboard on the rhetoric, eh?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
Here in the US the purpose of the state is to help the people. All the people. Even the minorities. Even the gay folks.

While I agree with the general thrust of Darth_Mauve's post, I think this part is so horribly wrong that I have to object. The purpose of the state is to prevent harm; not to help.
This ain't even a matter of opinion, it's just straight-up incorrect. :/
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
As you said in the IOWA SC thread, Samprimary,.....
homomentum
[Kiss]

haha yesssss

HOMOMENTUM

Really this is all gaining speed really fast.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This ain't even a matter of opinion, it's just straight-up incorrect. :/
No kidding. Both Lisa and Darth Mauve's absolute statements are equally incorrect.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

KoM, I'm not comparing SSM-denial with Gulag. I'm attacking the argument that the state's purpose is to do what's good for the state.

The state's purpose is not to do what's good for the state, or to prevent harm from occuring to the state.

Its purpose is to do what's good, or prevent harm from or for the people.

It is supposed to serve the people, not the people serve the state.

King of Men
Member # 6684

"The state" is an organisation that exists in the minds of human beings; its purpose is, in effect, whatever those humans say it is. I suggest you qualify your statements a bit, so they no longer refer to some non-existent Platonic ideal of The State, but the actual organisations that we deal with in the real world.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
As for a man marrying a horse, it's already happened was was perfectly legal.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2004/04/startracks/040927/sjparker.jpg

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

rofl.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

What a hateful thing to say. Ugh.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure she'll be crying into her feedbag tonight that an unimportant nobody made fun of her on a webforum while she has to go home and snuggle Matthew Broderick. Her life must be hell.

I understand she and Matthew are having twins by Surrogate as well. I guess she didn't want to ruin her body by foaling.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad that in your world nasty, personal insults based on a person's looks are okay.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Usually I make fun of myself, but I look like an old crone, not a horse, so the joke wouldn't work.

I'm sorry you have no sense of humor.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no sense of humor. That is definitely my problem.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Apart from the unkindness of the joke, I must say I don't see the supposed resemblance to a horse. Which makes it fall kind of flat.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

uh
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I came out of lurkerdom to ask this question (and voice some opinions), and will probably return afterward, but why are conservatives in favor of banning gay marriage?

As a conservative, this bugs me, because both opponents and proponents of gay marriage are seeking for the same amount of government regulation and intervention in the form of constitutional amendments.

I am in favor of the government butting out and leaving the matter entirely in the hands of the cultural institutions. If the government wants to give tax incentives to people who form partnerships, then civil unions are the answer and should be available to anyone, even beyond homosexual couples.

For instance, if two single moms wanted to combine their households, they could get a civil union. Such an arrangement would be good for "the state" because reducing two households to one reduces things like carbon emissions and sprawl. Housepooling right along with carpooling.

The only reason I can see for gay marriage to be a partisan issue is that the republican party has moved so far away from small government that they have to make non-issues into hot topics because otherwise no-one would vote for them.

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

uh
I thought it was funny.
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Well, your 'joke' was effectively: this lady is really, really, really ugly.

Yeah, Pix, you're gonna catch some flak for that, because it's just a nasty thing to say - even if the subject of the insult probably wouldn't give a sh@#, and that's even if she ever heard about it, which is of course extremely unlikely.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, Jamio. I concur with your idea of expanding civil unions beyond the basis of romantic connections.

However I wonder how boundary conditions would be set for establishing such civil unions. As a case in point, I refer back to a situation I posed in a thread discussing Proposition 8 in CA. I believe the idea posed by the situation can easily be generalized to a multitude of cases.

Suppose I have just started university and live in housing with roommates. To gain eligibility for higher Pell grants and for other tax benefits I establish a non-romantic civil union with a roommate.

Should such a situation be sanctioned? I honestly have no strong opinion one way or another here. I don't know what conditions would be requisite for civil unions. The purpose of the example is to illustrate that some kinds of conditions may be required.

**Post edited** Change in bold (from definite to indefinite).

[ May 06, 2009, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Anthonie ]

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i thought the joke was we expected it to be a legitimate news story but only found a normal human couple with the implication that she is ugly, its the betraying of our naive expectations thats funny.
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Anthonie- what is to stop two roomies of opposite sex from doing that now?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

Nothing is, Scholarette, nothing at all! Good point. Sure enough, opposite gender roommates can now. And, maybe they should?! Tax breaks and financial benefits are there for the taking provided requirements are satisfied. Thinking about it in that light, I am surprised that opposite gender roommates don't do it much more often than they do.

As I said, I don't have any firm stand or opinion on the particular situation. I am just trying to posit circumstances where society may want to "define the line" about how/when civil unions apply, other than the current inferred basis of romantic partnership.

Perhaps there don't need to be any lines other than the approval of the mutual parties involved in a civil union?

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It apparently grants every right except the actual word "married" to same sex couples, but once it's passed, it's only a matter of time before the word follows.

See, I don't think that follows. I think that states which do what Washington is doing will be among the last to allow it to be called marriage. The average voter simply won't see the importance of a word.
Yeah but, that isn't the case at the moment. Right now, a lot of people DO have a problem with the word, which is why it isn't an out and out gay marriage bill. If it wasn't important, there wouldn't be a necessity to specifically exclude the word.

But when it is acceptable, there will certainly be people there to agitate for change, and if it really isn't a problem, then it'll go through. I don't think they'll be the last because no one care so it won't be an issue.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

Lyrhawn, I forgot to thank you earlier for your very informative wee-hour-of-the-morning post about the status of SSM debate in so many states. It was very helpful and interesting. Just want to let you know that your time spent researching and consolidating information is appreciated.

[Hat]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, and as an update, New Hampshire's legislature pass their gay marriage bill today as well.

Governor Lynch will have five days from the moment it reaches his desk to veto or sign the bill, or it becomes law without his signature.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At present there is a crusade to have them treated exactly the same as the majority group.
Shock horror! Treating a minority group as human beings with the same rights as normal people, good white protestants that make up the majority of the wor- oh, I mean, wait a second, hang on...

Give us a break. People are people. You're gonna actually start the "majorities deserve less" argument?

Please, think it through.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Usually I make fun of myself, but I look like an old crone, not a horse, so the joke wouldn't work.

Don't worry Pixiest, I found it funny. Unfortunately this forum has SERIOUS people who are SERIOUS. And while they can make fun of people like Blayne Bradley to his face whenever they want, posting a random comment about a celebrity's looks on a forum that the target is never, ever going to see is totally off-limits.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Don't worry Pixiest, I found it funny. Unfortunately this forum has SERIOUS people who are SERIOUS. And while they can make fun of people like Blayne Bradley to his face whenever they want, posting a random comment about a celebrity's looks on a forum that the target is never, ever going to see is totally off-limits.
I dare you to be more inaccurate.

Mocking Blayne for specific behaviors and saying, "She is hideously ugly," are two very different things. Don't get me wrong. It's not as though I think the insult matters. It's not a big deal.

But, "It's not a big deal!" isn't actually a rebuttal to, "That was a bad thing to say." Nor of course is, "They're too SERIOUS!"

Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
Nothing is, Scholarette, nothing at all! Good point. Sure enough, opposite gender roommates can now.

Isn't that the basic plot of an upcoming Sandra Bullock movie? In fact, "faking" a marriage in order to dupe the government is a staple romance novel formula (I only read the dust jackets, honest).
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
I dare you to be more inaccurate.

Mocking Blayne for specific behaviors and saying, "She is hideously ugly," are two very different things. Don't get me wrong. It's not as though I think the insult matters. It's not a big deal.

But, "It's not a big deal!" isn't actually a rebuttal to, "That was a bad thing to say." Nor of course is, "They're too SERIOUS!"

Don't know how I'm being inaccurate at all.

I quite agree that they are two very different things. Frankly I think the former is far more cruel (though I don't particular care about it either) than the latter.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to, in fairness, point out that Pix's joke wasn't just her saying Sarah Jessica Parker is hideously ugly. She was alluding to a pretty common perception of Sarah Jessica Parker having something of a horse face. A quick google search will reveal Pix isn't the only one who thinks this.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* I will freely admit to thinking that Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse and occasionally making fun of Blayne. I can do this because I am a horrible person.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Humor is subjective. Accept it. Not agreeing that something is funny is not the same thing as being too serious.

I'm one of those who didn't find this one funny and have never found the jokes about Sarah Jessica Parker's looks to be funny. Perhaps it's because I've been the butt of one too many jokes about my looks in the past. You see, when things are subjective, we view them through the skewed perspective of our personalities and personal history.

It doesn't mean I'm too serious. I find many things funny. Just not this.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I am a horrible person.

Recognizing that is the first step.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Ok enough people laughed that I don't feel so bad about the joke anymore. I'm sorry some people were offended, though and my lesson is learned. Next time I think about lightening the mood on a thread with a SJP joke, I'll just say Neigh.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I just wanted to, in fairness, point out that Pix's joke wasn't just her saying Sarah Jessica Parker is hideously ugly. She was alluding to a pretty common perception of Sarah Jessica Parker having something of a horse face. A quick google search will reveal Pix isn't the only one who thinks this.

I wouldn't have found funny a bald assertion that Sarah Parker (btw someone has yet to explain to me why nearly everybody indulges certain celebrities by saying three names instead of the customary two) is really ugly.

I found something sort of funny about the Pixiest post, though, because it really wasn't just "she's ugly, ha ha ha". It had the same element of surprise/subversion that underlies a lot of humor. And of course, as Dan says, there's the tie-in to the popular perception of a "horse face", which isn't automatically ugly*, btw, just a "long" face esp. a long nose. Penelope Cruz has also been said to have a horsey face and she's stunningly beautiful IMO.

Yes, it was mean. No, I don't care (at all) because Sarah bathes in adulation and riches (and Garnier Fructis) and she can tolerate attempts to knock her down a peg from anonymous strangers in obscure corners of the web. Ridicule is always going to be part of the price of celebrity, and I'm fine with that. [Well, let me disclose that I just find her one of the more annoying celebrities, although definitely not down on the rung with the VH1 crew. But I'd still have found the joke funny if it was about Cruz, even though I love her.]

I guess personal appearance is just a thing that some people feel is off limits...(?)

In other news, a man married his dog (the dog's drool actually made the slope more slippery, from what I understand).

*I guess since the joke has already been beat to death and then some like the horse it rode in on, we could just ask Pixiest if she thinks SP is ugly.

Edited for missing "funny"

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Certain Celebs are referred to by all 3 names in cases where there are other celebs with the same or similar names.

Presumably there's another, less famous, Sarah Parker out there who got there first.

Anyway, I think SJP is rather pretty, especially back when she was in LA Story.

scifibum
Member # 7625

"Anyway, I think SJP is rather pretty, especially back when she was in LA Story."

OK, so for others - is this sufficient evidence that The Pixiest did not intend malice with the joke? Can it be funny if she's not saying SJP is ugly?

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
(btw someone has yet to explain to me why nearly everybody indulges certain celebrities by saying three names instead of the customary two)

Usually it's because someone with that name is already in SAG. You can't have the same name as someone in SAG. That's why Michael J. Fox uses the initial: because there was already a Michael Fox. And presumably, there was already a Sarah Parker.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Well, now I have an explanation. Thanks. [Smile]
ridenigmadle
Member # 12057

- posted      Profile for ridenigmadle           Edit/Delete Post 
So we all love at least most of the works of OSC and most of us are strongly in favor of SSM.

How do you reconcile your belief in equal rights with support for OSC? Unless the accounts I have read are wrong he is rabidly anti-SSM.

I know we can all separate the two but would you still read OSC if he had views that were personally very objectionable to you? (You pick one for yourself, I do not want to create controversy by giving you some potential examples.)

Just a question. Thanks. My first post. I am interested in your views.

Riden

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, your post seems to me to be quite a loaded question, making me wonder how much it really is 'just a question', but...

I don't vet my entertainment by the entertainers politics, generally. That's my reason. I also don't vet my barber's politics to ensure I'm not supporting someone whose views I object to.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

On the forum exists plenty who argue the point vociferously and plenty who disagree with him passionately and a few who have become outright hostile to him in response to his World Watch articles, many of whom have since vanished. But his 'fringe'-iest writings provoked HUGE, spiraling debates that exhaustively covered the large-scale disagreement that Card has inspired — for both his words and his deeds — in the forum community at large.

As for still reading the books, it's just like still looking at a Caravaggio even if you don't like the artist. Still art. If he still makes good books, I'd still read them, still think they're good books, etc.

I mean, unless I knew somehow that proceeds from the books go to anti-SSM causes, in which case I'd just shrug and wait to pick up a copy at a yard sale or sommat.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.