FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell me about your laser eye surgery experiences (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell me about your laser eye surgery experiences
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always do like that one guy and get glasses attached to your bridge piercing. [Smile]

kq that story sort of makes you think, doesn't it? Is it worth even a minuscule chance of being blinded in order to be rid of the troubles of contact or glasses? Being blind would be a whole lot more trouble, I'm thinking.

On the other hand, I got my latest SciAm last night and tried to read it. It's so blurry and the print is so small and faint that it was a big effort to read. Can I really give up reading print materials? Maybe I should try that page-sized magnifying fresnel lens that I've seen. It's not really possible to read for any length of time by scanning back and forth with a hand-held magnifying glass. Things I print out at work don't seem as difficult, maybe because the font is larger or darker, I'm not sure. I usually do go for 12 point over 10 point. My son can read road signs a long ways before I can, so I'm actually nearsighted in addition to having old-person eyes. My pancreas has apparently given out too. I just need a new body. How do I get one? Jake, have you found a source yet? I can just see you posting a link on some thread and saying "this looks interesting".

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana: I copy-edit/proofread at work (newspaper) and when I proofread the comics page (I have to make sure the comics are for the right day) I take off my glasses, hold the page close and close one eye to find the tiny dates in the comics.

I'm nearsighted and have worn glasses since I was 8 - for 40 years. It's only been the last year or two that I've had to take off my glasses and hold things close to read. I also have the text program show at 150 percent to copy-edit articles. Myopia and old-people vision aren't fun.

Oh, and I had a conversation with a cashier at Wal-Mart Wednesday that was interesting. She's myopic, as well, but doesn't wear glasses. She's albino, which apparently makes her eyesight more problematic. She wore glasses some time ago, but kids mocked her in school, so she stopped. She says she's happy with who she is and has no plans to wear glasses again.

I feel like she's missing out not being able to see very far. She had to put her face about six inches away from the display at the register to read the amount. But she seems to think that wearing glasses would change her essence and she's happy as she is.

When I'm not wearing glasses, I'm very insecure. I feel very vulnerable, not being able to function well without them. I would relish not having to wear glasses because of having better eyesight, but wouldn't go without glasses just because they are a hassle. I guess everybody has to figure out their own limits. (I would have Lasik or other eye surgery to improve my vision, but wouldn't have plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I am a candidate for surgery, so I am scheduled for Custom LASIK (without Interlase, so a blade will be used) next Thursday!. From what I have been told and according to my research, the benefits of getting blade-free just aren't worth the extra $900. Blue Cross Blue Shield has this discount program called QualSight and I will be paying a total of $2640 with a one-year follow-up plan. I told them about my anxieties and I how awful it would be if I freaked on the table and started to hyperventilate. She said it wouldn't be the first time.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, :: laugh :: I just saw your Feb. 25th post. I haven't seen anything on total body replacement, but I'll keep an eye out. You're right, that I would say that it looked interesting! [Smile]

Val, very cool! Glad you're a candidate for the surgery. When is the surgery scheduled for? Did you go with the place in KC, or with something closer to home?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

It's next Thursday in Omaha. I decided that there were so many clinics to choose from here, that it makes sense to stay close.

[ March 19, 2009, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I don't think you'll regret it!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a smooth operation, swift recovery, and results that are everything you hope for.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
At my one year follow up last week I was 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/15 in my right eye.

In practice, I can see well except for some reason it's gotten more difficult to read the on-screen DirectTV menus on my 25 inch 10 year old Philips CRT TV. This might be my eyes or it might be the TV. I'm not sure which.

I also feel some eye strain at times but I often spend between 12 and 14 hours a day looking at a computer monitor so I don't think my surgery is responsible for that.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The ophthalmologist I work for compares blade free to using a blowtorch instead of a sword. She'll do it if people insist, but she says inflammation and the subsequent risk of infection are higher. Just thinking about it, if the flap of the cornea has to heal back, I have to think a cut made by metal is going to heal better than a lasered thing.

But maybe the laser dudes are smarter than me.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I'm not sure I am reading your post correctly. Which does your ophthalmologist recommend? Blade or no blade?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.