FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » THOR returns as the Economy burns. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: THOR returns as the Economy burns.
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
For the love of God, stuff a sock in it.

I am heterosexual and do not appreciate your sexual innuendo. I don't stuff anything in 'it' unless me and the 'it' are married. Thank you very much!
Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting in this high quality thread.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
UF, from UseEnglish.com

quote:
If someone tells you to put a sock in it, they are telling you to shut up.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't do it again, rivka! [Razz]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Money doesn't vanish it just shifts.

So if $3 trillion dollars leaves the stock market and goes into the pockets of a few men, those men will create jobs, and all people who want a job will have one.

It looks like you never took econ. 101.

Money does vanish. When the value of the stock market drops, that money doesn't end up in anyone's pockets. In effect it just disappears. The market value of a stock (or a house, or a car, or any other item) at any point in time is in essence a "hypothetical" based on what people are willing to pay to buy. Hypothetically, if you had chosen to sell your stock in Microsoft on Sept.2, 2008, you could have sold your shares for ~$27. If you chose to sell them last friday, people were only willing to pay ~$21. Who got that $6/share amounting to billions of dollars --- nobody. It just disappeared because people aren't willing to pay as much for Microsoft stock now as they were 2 months ago.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Money doesn't vanish it just shifts.

So if $3 trillion dollars leaves the stock market and goes into the pockets of a few men, those men will create jobs, and all people who want a job will have one.

It looks like you never took econ. 101.

Money does vanish. When the value of the stock market drops, that money doesn't end up in anyone's pockets. In effect it just disappears. The market value of a stock (or a house, or a car, or any other item) at any point in time is in essence a "hypothetical" based on what people are willing to pay to buy. Hypothetically, if you had chosen to sell your stock in Microsoft on Sept.2, 2008, you could have sold your shares for ~$27. If you chose to sell them last friday, people were only willing to pay ~$21. Who got that $6/share amounting to billions of dollars --- nobody. It just disappeared because people aren't willing to pay as much for Microsoft stock now as they were 2 months ago.

Uhh... I think he was being sarcastic Rabbit. Everything he's said in here has been absolutely dripping with pissed off sarcasm...

...and frankly I kinda agree with it.

Edit: I mean it's over the top, but the anger and frustration in the way our country, government and economy have been heading certainly ring true with me...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.