FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puffy and the Pattersons (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Puffy and the Pattersons
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not angry so much as I'm sardonically amused. This thread does contain one of the few recent strips that provoked genuine anger in me.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to complain about bad things.

Yes it is. I do it all the time. It just doesn't look like Puffy is having fun with this.

Sardonically amused? I guess.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Puffy is having fun. It doesn't seem like you're having fun, though. Why do you keep reading it?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Sardonically amused? I guess.

I would know. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Best line of snark about today's strip:

"How long will you need to be in a cow pasture with your arm stuck halfway up a cow's hoo-hoo before you realize you are tired of your little adventure and your destiny lies in Milborough doing work with cute kitties and bunnies and Gerald Delaney-Forsythe?"

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

*sob* I c-can't believe the band will only be together for two more years!

I can only speak from my own memories of being 16, but back then two years seemed like an eternity.

Also: Either Lynn or her assistants are trying to make Eva and April look as bizarre as possible.

Either that, or this was a surprise tribute to the look of A Clockwork Orange's main character.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's supposed to be mascara, running because a) they're cheap teenagers and the waterproof stuff is too expensive, and b) they're crying, it's just so emotional. *sob*
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! This one's even creepier than the usual blinky eyes stuff!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Is canada weird, my waterproof mascara is the same price as regular.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Ooh! This one's even creepier than the usual blinky eyes stuff!

The Silhouette strikes again! [Eek!]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And occasionally LynnJohnston still gets it right: sometimes you can have it all.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

April has now realized that music and creativity are silly and lame compared to doing homework in preparation for her future career as Mrs. Gerald Delany-Forsythe, Veterinarian. Thus, she's forgiven Liz for letting Jesse the boy with SOARAS steal Grandpa Jim's harmonica. [Big Grin]

If I removed these characters from their current context, the strip would be kind of cute...even if it does revisit a punchline Lynn's used fairly often.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"My secret shame, April. I've deliberately hurt poor, sweet, saintly, perfect Mike's feelings since I was a toddler!"

Um...excellent memory you have there, Liz. [Eek!]

Except, these are obviously false memories. Mike was a rowdy, playful, average kid. Not a sensitive, fragile, poetic flower of a lad. [Razz]

It's really strange...now that Mike's Great Canadian Novel has become the best-selling book of all time, we have to change the past in order to pretend he was -always- portrayed as an artistic sort? [Wink]

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
What, exactly, is she doing to him in the last panel?!?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
What, exactly, is she doing to him in the last panel?!?

She's preemptively giving Mike's novel a Razzie.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

My local library has a bunch of the older For Better or For Worse collections. Scanning them, not only is there no sign of Mike's "sensitive" side, but he was the primary teaser and instigator of strife. Not Liz.

It's easy to guess who Lynn's favorite FBorFW character is, isn't it? Not even Elly gets the luck Mike has, lately.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Puffy, How 'bout changing your title to "Permit me one last anti-Liz Patterson thread" [Wink] Every time I see it bumped I can't help but wonder... wasn't it the last post last time?
[Smile]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"See how insidious I was when I was only...uhm...one and a half years old, April? Mom never suspected."

Yesterday's framing device for this flashback is just silly. Babies don't tease the way Lynn's saying they do.

And how could Liz remember a conversation she wasn't even present for? [Big Grin]

Lynn seems to think the period when Mike and Liz did little more than scream and spit were the 'Golden Age' of the strip. I dunno. I think it improved greatly once they were both old enough to be in school.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
Hey Puffy, How 'bout changing your title to "Permit me one last anti-Liz Patterson thread" [Wink] Every time I see it bumped I can't help but wonder... wasn't it the last post last time?
[Smile]

AJ

I always saw it in a "well, maybe I'll have one last potato chip" sort of way, and thought it was fairly funny. I don't mind that it's changed, but it was a good title, I think.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't think that Lynn necessarily feels that way about the earlier strips, Puffy. She's intending to run these strips that are 90% recycled material for the forseeable future, right? Is there a reason why you don't think that she's just intending to start with the earlier strips and work her way forward?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
She's intending to run these strips that are 90% recycled material for the forseeable future, right?

That was her original plan, before Rod Johnston divorced her. Since then she's made some very conflicting claims about just where the strip is headed. For instance, she's claimed recently that she's wanted all the dangling plot threads (Jim's health, Liz & Anthony, etc) resolved before spring of 2008. But, she's also made claims that the earliest strips are being used to "prep" the readership for an all Mike & Ageless Offspring strip. And the occasional reference to the Hybrid Experiment.

Personally, I think she hasn't made up her mind just what she's going to do...hence the very odd timing of certain recent stories: Jim is gonna d-...whoops, silly spitting kiddies flashback!

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archives/002770.php

Moving shadow...

Edit: Oh, someone already posted it like... when it came out.

Umm, well... it's creepy.

[Blushing]

Edit2: Does anyone remember the For Better Or For Worse TV show?

[ November 03, 2007, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Yes, I do.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
"My secret shame, April. I've deliberately hurt poor, sweet, saintly, perfect Mike's feelings since I was a toddler!"

Um...excellent memory you have there, Liz. [Eek!]

Except, these are obviously false memories. Mike was a rowdy, playful, average kid. Not a sensitive, fragile, poetic flower of a lad. [Razz]

It's really strange...now that Mike's Great Canadian Novel has become the best-selling book of all time, we have to change the past in order to pretend he was -always- portrayed as an artistic sort? [Wink]

Specifically, the sensitive and fragile artist who spent most of their childhoods referring to her as "Lizard Breath". [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Robin has a good grasp of Time Travel for a 3-year-old, doesn't he?

I get what the joke is supposed to be, but Robin only -just- celebrated his third birthday a couple of days ago. I think this sort of misunderstanding is more likely to occur a wee bit later in life. [Wink]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The ability to turn a faucet=Michael was a smart kid!

Not only can Liz remember things that happened to five year old Mike that she wasn't present for and couldn't understand, but she's rattling it off like a pro-Mike fan-fic.

Anyone else notice that the rare appearances by John these days are the strips where he's being derided or physically hurt? Hmmmmm.

[ November 05, 2007, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Itsame
Member # 9712

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with her divorce. Don't be silly.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I don't know what happened to the strip, but I am in no way emotionally connected to it anymore. I was very sad when Farley died, nearly crying, but if Grandpa Jim died this week I probably wouldn't even blink.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Out of nostalgia, today I checked out a collection of FBorFW strips from 1989-1990.

It was like a completely different world. Punchlines not based on tortured pun set-ups. Pattersons who are flawed yet still endearing and likable. Story progression that isn't all over the place.

Flashbacks that actually -do- have something to do with the then-current story, told by characters who logically would remember them. [Wink]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Man, five-year-old Michael had a creepy smirk...

Liz: "And that was the time that Mike made Dad feel really uncomfortable about explaining sex to his children. See? He was MEANT to be a writer from the start!" *beams*

April: "...I didn't get that out of your memory at all. And...uh...Liz?"

Liz: "Yes?"

April: "How the heck are you able to remember this?!?"

Liz: "Magic, April. Magic."

Upon consideration, it looks like Mike's smirk was the only thing 'touched up' in order to justify the syndicate paying Lynn twice for the same strip.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dood, that just reminds me of Family Circus twisted with 4 panels.
I hate Family Circus. >.<

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
JonHecht, could you read when Farley died? I remember being in second grade, and I think you're three years younger than me.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I could read back then, but I didn't read it at the time. When I discovered FBOFW my mom had some collections, and I read those. That is how I grew an emotional attachment and saw when Farley died.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh it was a year later than I thought anyway. I knew it was close in time to something big in my life happening but I thought it was something else. The end of second grade my first grade teacher died of Aids. April of 3rd grade my mom's friend was diagnosed with bone cancer and we pretty much moved into her house to take care of her.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
Dood, that just reminds me of Family Circus twisted with 4 panels.
I hate Family Circus. >.<

Anyone remember The Nietzsche Family Circus? I've been thinking that there should be "For Better or For Nietzsche." 3 panels of the normal dialogue, then the 4th panel delivering us some heavy Nitzschean truth. It'd be awesome.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The ability to lie="Mike was creative, sensitive, emotional and theatrical!"

Finally, Liz is in one of these things. And yet...how old is she? Three months? [Razz]

Lynn, out of all the decades of Mike strips, why are you choosing these? They don't support your new "sensitive genius Mike" paradigm. [Big Grin]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this one.

Leaving aside that there's no way infant Liz could remember any of this, or why she hasn't let poor April free from the laundromat conversation for more than a month-

In the old days, it was probably Lynn's attempt to generate humor along the lines of "Did you ever have a kid who tried to barge in everywhere? HAH! I do too!"

These days, though, it seems like yet another one of her recent swipes at Rod Johnston.

"John, I had a dream where you left me for another woman!"

"MOM, DADDY -CHEATS-!"

And now, the husband and father character as silent, unresponsive, absent, neglectful.

It's impossible for me to read a John strip now without looking for coded messages. Lynn's shown that she's more than willing to use the strip in this manner.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

And so, after a month or so of bizarre reruns that saw Liz age and regress from toddler to infant several times, we return to the present.

Apparently Lynn thinks we don't yet understand what a wonderful, perfect author Michael is yet.

Uh-oh, April! You've dared to question the sanctity and confirmed best-selling nature of Stone Season A.K.A. The Michael Patterson MIRACLE Book!

Even now, Mike is using his divine powers to invoke a curse upon you!

Or probably just a couple of strips about how April is a lousy punk brat for hurting sensitive, theatrical Mike's feelings. [Big Grin]

[ November 27, 2007, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, I enjoy The Nietzsche Family Circus a lot more than Family Circus. o_O
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, if you like that, try another trick: read Garfield, and blank out any thought bubble from any animal. Here's the thread where this first occurred:
http://www.truthandbeautybombs.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4997&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You can also try the Garfield Randomizer:
http://www.dougshaw.com/garfield.html

Or the Garfield psychoanalyzer:
http://permanent-monday.blogspot.com/

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The blog was cute, but I've seen it done with Marmaduke at McSweeney's. The randomizer was conceptually cute, but not reall funny.

Garfield without the thought bubbles, though . . . Holy cow! I laughed more at the first page of that thread than I have at all the Gafield strips I have ever read, cumulatively!

(Oh, and the Video-Watching Dog strip at the blog site was just stupid. But we knew that.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Can't . . . breathe . . . laughing too hard . . . falling off sofa!
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't . . . breathe . . . laughing too hard . . . falling off sofa!
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Is that an original or an editted? Did someone edit that text in or just remove Garfield's text or what?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

It's actually not edited at all, but after spending an hour and a half or so reading edited Garfield strips, that one just killed me!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Today's FBoW is actually pretty funny.
Itsame
Member # 9712

I showed my friend the randomizer, and he got this magnificent one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Dukeish/gar.png

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's strip was amusing, though this is the fifth (or sixth) time Lynn's done an arc about Mike's brilliant, first-draft-bestseller book in the past two years. It's hardly an urgent plot thread in need of closure before "the freeze"...when and if that ever happens. [Razz]
Itsame
Member # 9712

The Grandpa either needs to die and everyone is sad, or he needs to be able to speak and everyone is happy. He has had brain damage long enough.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's cold.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

What can I say, she is making me hate the characters now. I am sure you think that The Twins in Heroes should die.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.