FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stardust (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stardust
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
It's got Robert DeNiro in it. I've yet to see a movie of his I didn't like.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131704/

You need to see more movies then... [Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Robert De Niro was perfect in this. And the movie was very good.

*spoilers*
*spoilers*
*spoilers* The only thing I didn't understand was why Tristen left at the end to go back to Victoria just to give her a piece of the girl's hair. I mean, he already decided that he loved the star, so why leave her just to prove a point to some girl when he risks not finding her again?
END SPOILERS

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Because he promised that he would, and he keeps his promises.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
And so the film makers could indulge in some gratuitous "Ha! She's so lame" jokes that are mostly absent from the novel. Right down to the hint that her husband-to-be is really...well, read the book and compare the movie's version.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm going to see this again tonight with my mom and sister. i hope they like it as much as i did!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I really loved it, but I felt a bit like i did with the last Pirates of the C movie:
"End it already! We get it!"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie. It was funny and cute and nearly magical. Tristan was a-dor-able and DeNiro made me smile. I did have a "Wait, Gandalf?" moment at the very beginning of the narration, but I got over it pretty quickly.

I did, however, not need to see so many Freddie Highmore-led previews. He's a very cute kid and decent actor, and maybe he should play Ender( [Wink] ), but that was an overdose.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot, and I'm sure I would've liked it better if I hadn't already read the book.

It just didn't have enough fun with words to put it on par with The Princess Bride.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this tonight and thought it was great. I was maybe a tiny bit lost at the beginning only because they jump into it so fast and I've never read the book. But I got into it really fast.

I liked the preview for that music movie with Kerri Russell, but jeez that little kid is in a lot of movies, does he have a childhood at all?

After seeing this and the previews for other movies, I finally broke down and spent the money to buy this book, all of His Dark Materials and all of The Dark is Rising, which I hope will keep me busy for the month of September. It's been recommended to me that I should read a lot of Neil Gaiman, which I just might do if I like the novel version of Stardust. I want to see the others before they come out as movies.

I've only recently discovered that my reading list of fantasy was woefully inadequate, and that I need to venture out from Sci-Fi a bit more.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Also, I saw it with my boyfriend and I have to say this is a great date movie. (Although probably not first or second date material.)

Oops...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a story to accompany that oops? [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this on Friday with my wife, brother, and sister, we loved it! You are right that it's not very quotable, but it was just so much fun, and it seemed like alot of the humor was more visual than verbal.

Spoiler*
I suppose there was a funny one liner when Michelle Pfeifer's boobs suddenly sagged after that spell, but the look on her face was almost priceless.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it for our anniversary yesterday, and we loved it. I think I loved it more than Jon Boy, but we definitely both enjoyed it. This is the first movie that I would classify as "my kind" of movie that has come out in over a year.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the movie a great deal. Michelle Pfeiffer was awesome, and the whole thing was fun.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I read the book last night in one sitting. It was a really really good read, though surprisingly graphic here and there. I liked a lot of the changes they made, though I agree with OSC that I don't see why they needed to add the slam bang finish at the end.

I liked the book more than the movie, but the movie was a fantastic adaptation. One of the best I have seen in a long time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*MINOR SPOILERS*

I did really enjoy it. My annoyances with it were rather minor—Ricky Gervais and Robert De Niro, while funny, didn't quite seem to fit into the story, and I think Tristan's one-week zero-to-hero transformation was a bit much. He was always terrible at fencing class, but he spends a couple days with a pirate and becomes a champion swordsman? Um, right.

The goat man and ghost brothers were surprisingly funny, though.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In the book it took months.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, he's in a magical land! Anything can happen.

Added: I loved the movie, in case you couldn't tell. In the interests of full disclosure, though, I had a huge crush on Claire Danes as a teenager and apparently the aftereffects are still lingering. [Blushing] Added 2: And I've never read the book (or any Gaiman other than Neverwhere, which didn't rock my world).

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah that was a bit much to take in, it made a lot more sense in the book, even with how short the book was. I don't remember specifically how long it took in the book for him to get back, but it wasn't a really long time. He used the candle to get to Yvaine, and then flew, rode, carted, and candle walked back to Wall. If it wasn't for Louisa there to talk about how much time had passed with him away, I probably wouldn't have realized he was really gone for that long.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this very much. I'm going to take my sister, now that she's finished the book.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually in the book, there is no fencing training. Nor is it needed.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had someone call me last night basically to tell me that I would I would love this movie (which I already knew, having seen it last week).

The funny thing was this person totally didn't remember me talking about how much I wanted to see it when we'd had dinner together (with family and some other folks) weeks ago. When I said, "I told you that you should see it, that I thought YOU'd like it" he insisted that I hadn't. Heh.

I'm plagued by the lingering feeling that if he had remembered my recommendation he would not have liked the movie. O_O

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

In the book the pirates do train him and Yvaine during their period together. Though upon rereading it, it's specifically stated as mainly being on how to help out around the ship.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw it today. Left the theater grinning -- loved it, loved it!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Better late then never I suppose. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm dredging up an old thread. We saw it today, and we both loved it. Thought it was the best movie we'd seen in a very very long time.

One question for those of you who've read Neil Gaiman. I read American Gods, and was not at all impressed with it - I found none of the characters particularly likable. I've read reviews both positive and negative for the Stardust book, and comments saying that the book is darker, has more language, much more blood & gore, and sex scenes. The darker I can handle, but blood & gore, profanity, and sex scenes turn me off completely. I'm wondering what y'all have to say to that before I possibly buy a book I might end up hating.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How much do they turn you off? There's profanity, gore, and sex in the book, but very little of any of the above.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the book nearly as much as the movie, for what it's worth. It seemed more directionless and less funny.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the book better.
Here is why.
The ending was rather a bit sweeter to me. Plus Tristan was nicer in the book than in the movie.

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Well, I'm dredging up an old thread. We saw it today, and we both loved it. Thought it was the best movie we'd seen in a very very long time.

One question for those of you who've read Neil Gaiman. I read American Gods, and was not at all impressed with it - I found none of the characters particularly likable. I've read reviews both positive and negative for the Stardust book, and comments saying that the book is darker, has more language, much more blood & gore, and sex scenes. The darker I can handle, but blood & gore, profanity, and sex scenes turn me off completely. I'm wondering what y'all have to say to that before I possibly buy a book I might end up hating.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Stardust's darkness, sex, language, and gore are nothing compared to American Gods, iirc.

I *almost* put Stardust on my classroom library shelf for 7th grade. If the sex scene had happened later in the book, I would have.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this movie for the first time last night. [Smile] My husband and I enjoyed it a lot, one of those movies we might buy if we see cheap enough.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Scholar, the cheapest source for DVDs is usually Amazon.com. Right now for Stardust they are offering "65 used and new from $7.99." Wait a month or two, and it will go down to half that. I have gotten some year-old DVDs from Amazon for 99 cents. Good as new. You can also try Barnes & Noble online, but I always check Amazon first.

quidscribis, admittedly Neil Gaiman's fantasies are a bit strange, and seldom very pleasant. But there is character development, and people who seem to care about each other. It is just such a change of pace--imagine a fantasy set in the sewers under London (as in Neverwhere.) Anansi Boys was almost a breath of fresh air, even if predictable. It did range wider than most fantasies, from England to America to an island in the sea. I thought American Gods was quite original, with ancient Norse Gods squaring off against modern techno-gods cleverly invented. I thought that particular story was no more gorey or violent that Stephen King (but Stephen King is gorey and violent).

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I also watched this movie recently with my wife and enjoyed it. I hadn't recalled hearing anything about it and wondered why OSC didn't review it. Upon searching the archives, I found his review, which was rather lukewarm. That review probably made me not watch it in the theaters, which is a shame, because it was really quite good, overall....
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Robert DeNiro dance the can-can dressed in a tu-tu was worth the price of admission. I just wonder how he managed to get such an excellent sound system on a pirate ship. But I guess anything is possible in a fantasy.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, thanks for the info! We'll probably be waiting a while before getting it, but it is now on the list of DVDs we want. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the comments, everyone. If there's less gore, sex, and profanity than American Gods, then I'll probably give it a try.

Ron, I agree completely that American Gods was original - I have no complaints on that score. I also thought the writing was rather well done overall - nothing about the writing style itself took me out of the story. It's that, like I said above, I found none of the characters particularly likeable and I didn't particularly care for any of them. I just didn't care.

And yeah, I loved watching Robert DeNiro dancing in a tutu too. [Smile]

Liz, if you thought it was *almost* appropriate enough for a 7th grade classroom, then it *might* be okay for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probably like Anasazi boys. It has a bit of nudity in it but it's in a book, so you can't see it and he didn't cuss in it for a lot of pages. and just one time too.

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I appreciate the comments, everyone. If there's less gore, sex, and profanity than American Gods, then I'll probably give it a try.

Ron, I agree completely that American Gods was original - I have no complaints on that score. I also thought the writing was rather well done overall - nothing about the writing style itself took me out of the story. It's that, like I said above, I found none of the characters particularly likeable and I didn't particularly care for any of them. I just didn't care.

And yeah, I loved watching Robert DeNiro dancing in a tutu too. [Smile]

Liz, if you thought it was *almost* appropriate enough for a 7th grade classroom, then it *might* be okay for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this. I needed a sweet movie.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thanks, Syn. I might get it, then. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.