FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's in your bottled water? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's in your bottled water?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think the argument for bottled water is closer to false advertising.
How so? Do they say the water comes from a spring or a mountain brook?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of them strongly imply it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Implying stuff that you don't say is par for the course for marketing pretty much anything.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
True. I consider quite a bit of the stuff in beauty product ads (particularly skin creams and shampoo/conditioners) to skirt the line awfully closely as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Skirting but not crossing it is the name of the game in a lot of industries.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't drink our tap water. It's absolutely horrid stuff. My husband, who has a much more sensitive nose, is convinced that lately it smells like raw chicken. *shudder* It is not healthy stuff. Not only is there way too much chlorine in it, sometimes they send out notices about how there's too much of something in the water by standards, but it's really nothing to worry about because the standards are so low anyway. Uh... no thanks!

I drink my mother's tap water, though. She lives 2 1/2 hours away. I guess her city just does a better job of treating the water.

But at home, we buy 3 liters of Deer Park, in the clear plastic jugs. The frosted plastic jugs end up tasting like plastic. Ick. But the clear plastic doesn't cause that problem.

I really don't care that America supposedly has spectacular tap water--MY town certainly doesn't.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Our tap in the kitchen for some reason tastes okay (but we still filter it) but the other day my daughter brought me a drink from the bathroom sink-- it tasted like BLEACH! *gag*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Fort Worth. Can anyone tell me if it's normal for your tap water to smell like mud or standing water, and is it normal for it to get really potent when it rains? (Our water is river water.) I don't drink it because the flavor makes me gag. It tastes really...umm...dirty.

[ August 02, 2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
People!

Never drink gross water again. I honestly used to scoff at Tiffany when she claimed her water was better then what I was drinking, I had to eat my words (or drink them in this case.)

It was worth every dollar getting one.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about Forth Worth water, but in several regions the flavor and scent of algae or sediment from the water source will survive the filtration and treatment process. This doesn't mean the water isn't clean, just that it's not very tasty. A charcoal filter like the Brita stuff at Walmart would probably help.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I have a Brita pitcher and tap filter. Absolutely love it. Clean water without the chemicle taste.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Of the three countries in the world that use the most bottled water, the US, China and Mexico, we're number one, and we're also the only one of those three that has a completely safe tap water system of water.

Personally, I wouldn't call a water system that has frequent boil warnings "completely safe." And since my water system is part of the United States, by extension the United States does not have a completely safe tap water system.

I refuse to drink the local tap water anymore. I can't be running to the post office to see if it's safe every time I want to get a drink.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Our tap water is fine, but we still filter it through our refrigerator. We also have a water softening system in our house, that is nice since I have such dry skin.

I do still buy bottled water when I am out and need something to drink.

When I lived in Texas while in High School, the water was yellow and smelled of sulfur. It was disgusting.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
At work, the drinking fountains are not drinkable. They always taste funny. Even letting it run for a little while doesn't work. The water is still brown. I filled my dog's water dish with drinking fountain once and was disgusted by the layer of dirt that settled on the bottom. He wouldn't drink it. So, I got to do the snobby pouring bottled water for the dog thing.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I can barely stand bottled water. I think it tastes horrible. I only drink it when I have no other choice. I lived in France for 2 years and drank tap water the whole time. Didn't have any adverse reactions. *twitch*

I do second the Brita thing, though. That just tastes good.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney World has some of the worst water on the planet. Is that because they want you to buy bottled water?
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I favour the Brita filter, especially since I've moved to a place that has hard water. I grew up not very far from what locals hold up as the best public water in Canada, and our water was not much worse than theirs. The notion of having so much stuff in this water really kind of disturbs me.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.