FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What causes dying? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What causes dying?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
What causes dying?

Me.

Chuck Norris would like to have a word with you regarding that.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
m reason why theidea is appealing is so that I can continue to observe history in the making and be here when interesting things happen.

I wonder what this would do to one's memory? Until we invent a way to store and backup memories, we have very limited capacity to work with. I'm not sure what hundreds or thousands of years of memories would do to a person. It would be a shame to lose large portions of your life just because you couldn't store everything in memory.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Arent we only using 11% of our mental capacity as is? cant we remember more if we can figure out how to?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Arent we only using 11% of our mental capacity as is?
I was under the impression that the study showed we are only using a portion of our brains at any given time, but taken over a time period, we use our entire brains. I'll try to find a link.... In any case, our memory capacity is finite, whether we are using our entire brains or not. If the length of a life is infinite, that creates issues.

[Added]

Here's a good link about the 10% myth.

[ March 21, 2007, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: camus ]

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, if I knew I would live forever, I'd become the worst procrastinator EVER! I'd be saying "I'll get that done tomorrow" for, like, 800 years.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
it talks about the myth but doesnt nessasarily prove/disprove it afaik.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for gosh sakes. Read my lips: IT IS A MYTH.

Snopes
Straight Dope
How many links do you want?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.