FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guys, don't you hate it when... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guys, don't you hate it when...
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
But it usually does, to take just one reason, because of the whole nice girl thing, I vow.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Homestarrunner:
I would have to disagree. My gut instinct says she's flirting, and is in stage 1. Stage 2 starts immediately after she gets the guy interested. Then she starts ignoring him completely and will even be hostile just to maximize his pain and embarrassment.

Sounds like the girl went farther than she ought to have, and is now mortified.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started dating a girl who I've been hiting on for at least 6 months now. Apparently, it took our mutual friend's brother asking how long we'd been dating for it to click for her that I was actually interested in her. I'd long ago figured that she wasn't interested in me, but was fine with me flirting and being physical with her, which I'm cool with.

Now, I'm a very flirty guy, but I'm not very subtle. And though I do spread my flirty around, especially recently, where, for reasons I can't fathom but am not going to question, I've found myself in the company of some really amazing looking women with fantastic personalities, I thought it was clear that if my flirting is on a certain level, I'm basically fair game for you to do with as you will. Apparently not.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The awesome thing about finding someone attractive is it gives you a lot of incentive to ask them out.

If they say yes, awesome. If they say no, find another person you find attractive and repeat.

[ December 04, 2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just started dating a girl who I've been hiting on for at least 6 months now. Apparently, it took our mutual friend's brother asking how long we'd been dating for it to click for her that I was actually interested in her.
She didn't get the hint when you asked her out? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
The awesome thing about finding someone attractive is it gives you a lot of incentive to ask them out.

If they say yes, awesome. If they say now, find another person you find attractive and repeat.

God, you make that sound so easy.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Yes.

*smile*
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She didn't get the hint when you asked her out?
Funny story. She threatened to run me down with her car.

I likes 'em homicidal, I do.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
quote:
Attraction is a little too week, lust and infatuation are too strong. I doubt we'll find an exact word for it. But he got the point across, I think we all know the feeling he was talking about.
Twitterpation. The word you are looking for is twitterpation. [Smile]
If it makes me feel like swooning, would it be syncopation?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I was introduced to my wife by a mutual friend... Bud Light. We met at a bar and after ignoring me for 15 minutes, she finally let me buy her a drink and dance with her. It wasn't my slick moves on the dance floor that got her, it was the fact that after about 30 minutes of talking, I told her I had a daughter from my first marriage. Not the best pickup line, I know, but something made me tell her. (BTW, she had one too from her first marriage. The girls are only three months apart.)

Later that night, we were having an early morning breakfast at Denny's and I looked at her and said to myself, "I'm going to marry her!"

I don't know if it was a little red string, fate, or dumb luck but something brought us together. Maybe it was Bud Light.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
God, you make that sound so easy.

It is pretty easy, once you realize that it's not such a big deal. True, when you first start dating, it can seem like this is the world's perfect person, and if you don't make them love you, you will never find true love again. Or, sometimes it seems like the possibility of being turned down for a date is so horrible, that it's better not to even ask at all.

Those are self-destructive ways of thinking. I personally don't believe that there's One Right Person out there for everyone. There are a whole lot of people who are varying degrees of right, and you are varying degrees of right for a whole lot of people. The ideal situation is to find a partner who makes you happy, and who you make happy, and go have a happy life together.

The way you do that is by asking people out, getting to know them, and finding out if you're compatible.

It is just like any challenging activity, if you never try, you'll never succeed.

You have to realize that there's nothing magic or mystical about any one person. They're just a person like you. They also get nervous, they also want to be happy and find the right partner. Just talk to them, get to know each other.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Homestarrunner:
I would have to disagree. My gut instinct says she's flirting, and is in stage 1. Stage 2 starts immediately after she gets the guy interested. Then she starts ignoring him completely and will even be hostile just to maximize his pain and embarrassment.

Sounds like the girl went farther than she ought to have, and is now mortified.
There's flirting in 10th grade, when it's almost flirting to flirt, and the kids aren't so jaded yet and can really be manipulated. It's a game. I hate to go age-ist here, but there you go. The stakes aren't quite as high, the consequences don't seem as lasting, and there's all these feelings floating around to experiment with.

I'm certainly not bitter against women, and I'm not against flirting as a form of, er, attracting a mate. But it seems to work a lot differently when high school is some years in the past and relationships have more weight. The signals are different. The games are a little more serious, not quite done anymore with the wide-eyed wonder of teenagers bafflingly oblivious to the results.

The description just reminded me of every single game girls were playing when I was in 10th grade, that's all.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.