FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I stumbled across this link... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I stumbled across this link...
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks to you too, blackblade, for setting me straight.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I would imagine that she means:
their health is impacted negatively because they do not comply with many of the precepts put forth by Dr. Price.

Yeah. That's what I meant.

Oh, and Black Blade, sounds like somebody camped out on the pavement overnight to get his video game. [Wink]

Video Game CONSOLE. [Wink] You can only make about 50-60 bucks on a video game typically.

Steven: No thank YOU.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting to hear if Steven is willing to take Bob up on his offer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
much as I'm with Bob on this one, I'm sure steven would never accept the terms.

If someone came up to me and said, "hey will you make a deal where I come up with a bunch of evidence/logic that refutes special relativity will you stop posting anything about Einstein?"

it's entirely based on the premise that Einstein is in fact wrong and that there is no benefit to discussing his work. I'd potentially concede that point in the case of Price, but I'm sure steven wouldn't. Given that he agrees with the doctor, and probably thinks that he won't be disproven...

basically the deal needs to be re-worked.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the important part of the agreement. Bob isn't asking Steven to stop posting -- he's just asking Steven to promise to not quit the discussion. The stuff about Steven promising to not bring it up only comes into play if Steven breaks his word and quits the disussion early as he is prone to do.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Point take BlackBlade about selling them on Ebay after the fact (though I have a dislike for people who do), but if that's the case than I'm more than willing to pass the illogical buck on to people who will pay two or three times market price for something because they can't wait an extra few days / weeks. And if you don't buy that, then go read the thread I have on the front page, and see if everyone in that whole event acted rationally...

And while I spend my $15 a month to play WoW like millions of other people, I couldn't compare the action of doing so to something that could provide the long-term satisfaction and general usefulness to the species as having a child (note: one child, no overpopulation debates allowed when debating the general usefulness of reproduction)...

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure any analysis goes down in another thread, perhaps started by some third party.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
Point take BlackBlade about selling them on Ebay after the fact (though I have a dislike for people who do), but if that's the case than I'm more than willing to pass the illogical buck on to people who will pay two or three times market price for something because they can't wait an extra few days / weeks. And if you don't buy that, then go read the thread I have on the front page, and see if everyone in that whole event acted rationally...

And while I spend my $15 a month to play WoW like millions of other people, I couldn't compare the action of doing so to something that could provide the long-term satisfaction and general usefulness to the species as having a child (note: one child, no overpopulation debates allowed when debating the general usefulness of reproduction)...

Why not? Or did you mean it in the sense that a child's weekly allowance is "incomparable" to the income of the US government?

Because they both get their money in the same way, "extortion" [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, my bad. I just re-read the offer and you're right I hope that steven will take it up and think that similar offers should probably stand for most of our discussions here [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm perfectly happy to have someone mediate the agreement with steven if he wants that.

And, yes, having that person start the thread in which the discussion occurs is an excellent idea.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
You gotta love how white Americans wrote about other races back then: "The characteristics of the Polynesian race included straight hair, oval features, happy, buoyant dispositions and splendid physiques" (beginning of Chapter 8, italics added). Say what?

I must say I do not see this as particularly racist. He's saying Polynesians are more cheerful and smiling than he's used to. Many Europeans report that Americans are more likely to use first names and physical contact than they are used to; is this racism?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more surprised by the "splendid physiques" thing. I mean, sure, lots of Polynesians in their teens and twenties probably looked pretty fit, but as a generality for all ages and "classes" of Polynesians? It seems pretty obviously false.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe steven's point of view, and am friends with Bob, but I would like to hear some debate on this issue myself.

I have also NEVER deleted a thread here on Hatrack, nor ever even started a mayfly.

I will start a debate thread. I will also promise to read Dr. Prices book completely if steven participates and doesn't bug out of the conversation. I read really fast, and could read the entire book in under 3 days, as long as I can do it after Christmas...I work in retail, so this is the busiest season for me as it is. [Smile]

I don't think Bob is asking that steven convert his views, just that he make the attempt to defend the book he bases his life on.

Also, I have saved a copy of this thread on my hard drive. Any attempt to delete this thread will result in me posting it under my own name.

Also, please use only ONE screen name for this debate, steven. I don't care how many alts you have, but using them to portray a false sense of support on this issue would not be conducive to true debate. I am not saying that you have or have not done so in the past, but I AM letting you know it wouldn't be acceptable in the debate thread.

Same goes for you too, Bob!

[No No]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Steven, how about this? Would you be willing to participate in a point-by-point discussion* on this topic with Bob? We could have Tante mediate it. I don't think you'll have find a more fair-minded individual than her.

I think that we could all learn a lot from such a discussion. I hope you'll be willing to do it.

*notice I said discussion, not debate.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My alts are:

Lavalamp
Posable_Man
Wyatt_Urp (well, really, that's not mine, but I know the password)
Ghost_of_Bob_Scopatz (I know, you didn't realize that was me!)

I have no others and will not create any new ones or use any of these for this discussion.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read really fast, and could read the entire book in under 3 days
Well, that's what I thought, and as far as sheer volume of text is concerned, it's true - I've done such things in the past. But then you have to realise that the book is really, really boring. The first fifteen chapters, for example, are all basically repeats; "We visited <insert ethnic group> and found such-and-such a diet, mucho tooth decay in the moderns, very little in the primitives, and here are some pictures of broad dental arches". Of course, this does mean you can skim some chapters rather quickly.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, didn't you post as Smokey a time or two?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh yeah, I forgot that I registered my dog here too.

Yep, Bob (aka Smokey)...

(thanks Noemon...I was holding that one open as an ace-in-the-hole). Sheesh!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
We could have Tante mediate it.

You volunteered me? I don't know that this is wise.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Sorry about that, Tante. Even if Tante doesn't want to, I'm sure you could find a mutually agreeable party to mediate it.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Steven -- I've asked you some questions. Please either answer them or at least acknowledge them in some way.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.