FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly - I'm in love (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firefly - I'm in love
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Operative was insane or deluded. He was oddly calm, and serene. He knew exactly what he was doing, and his line of logic wasn't crazy, just disagreeable.

And I think Firefly could survive as another incarnation, in the same way that we love the Star Trek universe even with all the main plot things changed every time it is reborn. They just need to show us the Firefly universe from another point of view.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after posting that I reconsidered-he was clearly deluded in one way, that is the nature of the organization he served. He thought the organization he served was actually making progress towards 'better worlds' like he envisioned, when with the advent of Miranda, clearly they were not.

But that sort of delusion is almost trivial in the face of the other delusions he lacked.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
The only Star Trek I cared anything for was Next Generation. Its characters were much better in my opinion. As for Firefly, OSC's review put me on to it a couple of years ago, and I was lucky enough to catch the Sci-Fi channel playing all the episodes in a marathon. My Tivo got 'em all. I then spent the next 2 days watching them. Loved them. Then for Christmas, I told my wife and kids the only thing I wanted was Serenity on DVD.

I thought the movie was excellent. I just hope they do some more.

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I'm discounting the filler of course, Juxtapose. The large majority of it is garbage. That's episodes 115ish?-current, I can't recall when exactly they start. Then again, I stay completely away from the Cartoon Network versions-the voice dubbing is terrible. Like, MST3000 bad.

The formulaic way a bunch of it is done is tiresome, I give you that.

---------

While the bounty hunter was arguably insane, I think one of the points of Serenity was that the Operative wasn't insane, or deluded.

I think he was insane, he was simply aware of that fact. Calling yourself a monster and saying "there is no place for me in the world I am helping create" are not the sentiments of a well adjusted individual.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I always wondered why Mal was so uncaring about his nudeness in front of others, but the rest of the crew did not share the sentiment. It would have been very interesting if all the crew had simply not cared he was naked.

I tend to figure it's because he knows he's won. Ordinarily he'd be concerned, but he's so giddy that, for once, things have gone more or less according to plan, he isn't even thinking about it. ("Why can't it ever go gorram smooth?!")

Of many lines, I still think the one that sticks in my mind most is "Well, I can see we've come to the middle of my not taking you seriously."

And Mal's response to the henchman swearing to hunt him down is also a classic bit of cliche-busting.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, I thought Mal's unconcerned attitude was a way of maintaining his dignity. Not so much that he was ashamed to be nude, but the indignity of being tricked (again) by his 'wife', in such a humiliating fashion-despite knowing he'd won overall.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.