FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you pronounce "buried"? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How do you pronounce "buried"?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
6. You drink from:

* A water fountain
* A drinking fountain

Neither, it's a BUBBLER, people.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, do you say coffee with a "w" too?
W-w-what?! I can't even imagine how that could be done.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Myr, don't you mean a "bubblah"?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I picked A.

"Buried" rhymes with "curry".

I don't know why this is. I'm from Texas and Utah, but I spent a lot of time talking to people in Detroit so sometimes I will have a Michigan/midwestern accent from that experience.

Jon Boy, any theories?

All I know is how the different pronunciations come from different dialects in England. I'm not sure how those dialects carried over to the US, though. It does seem odd to me that someone like you would rhyme "bury" with "curry," though. I don't think I've ever heard that pronunciation in Utah.

And for all you people interested in the Mary/marry/merry thing, check out this map.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
vonk, Try to imagine Rosie O'Donnell saying "caw-fee."

The problem is, people in other parts of the country don't say their "aw"s the way New Yorkers do, so that spelling just doesn't quite convey the sound.

I had a T-shirt (wonder whatever happened to it?) that said "New Yawk" on it. I remember somebody looking at it and saying something to the effect of "New Yock?"

Noooooooo!!!!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I say caw-fee. I took the quiz, came out 45% Yankee, 40% General American English, 10% Dixie, 0% Midwestern, 0% Upper Midwestern... even though that doesn't add to 100%.

Apparently pronouncing Mary/merry/marry the same is "General American English" and pronouncing them differnetly is "Yankee" because when I switched that answer, my percentages for those two categories flip-flipped. Interesting.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'm a New Yorker living in Boston, and apparently my pronunciation of "coffee" is a dead giveaway of my origin.

(I have trouble distingishing between it and the vowel sound the rest of y'all use.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with FlyingCow on this one. (Strangely enough.) Buried rhymes with ferried, but not married. And Mary, marry, and merry are all pronounced differently. So, do you guys pronounce all the vowels in the lists in FlyingCow's (edit: next to) last post the same?

On the other hand, Newbury rhymes with furry. [Dont Know]

[Edit again: Jon Boy, it'd be nice to see those maps normalized by population density. But interesting still.]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
B

(Heh. How do we know that everyone who picked B doesn't pronounce the words in B differently?)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
When I speak I am B (berry).

When I read the word, in my head, I pronounce it as A (similar to Curry).

Ya know, I've caught myself doing this too in this thread. Now I'm gonna be watching it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, being midatlantic means I pronounce "buried" two different ways- the rest is quite complicated.

Buried as "Berried" is the original, rhymes with merry, ferry, Perry etc. "Bury-ied" as in "Murray" is the new one.

(I can also do a third one- and did when I first read the word on this thread-, see "Newbury" below.)

I'd probably read it as the latter (because of the way it's written) and speak it as the former (because that's the way I originally learnt it).

Furry doesn't even fit for me in any of these. "Fir-y" (as in fir tree) is how I say it. It's a long, drawled vowel, like the u in "surly". It doesn't rhyme with "flurry" or "surry".

Newbury is a a 'darker' more closed-mouth "u" than my second "buried". More northern England "u". I also read "buried" like this sometimes, as I mentioned above, it depends.

Marry has the same "a" for me as "Sally" does. Merry rhymes with "berry". Mary starts with the same sound as is in "mare" (as in a female horse)- a long sound.

I have a lot of vowels.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
In my neck of the woods (with towns named Amesbury, Salisbury, Newbury, West Newbury, Newburyport), the bury really turns into bree.

My pronunciation of the "3 Ms" is a little fluid between Mary and Marry. They can both be slightly different, or the same, depending. Merry is definitely different.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Threads like this would be so much less confusing if everyone knew the International Phonetic Alphabet.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Myr, don't you mean a "bubblah"?

Absolutely [Big Grin]

I actually typed it like that first, then changed it just in case some couldn't figure out what word I was phoenetically spelling [Wink]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I speak much like FC:
quote:
quote:
B: Similar to married and ferry
You pronounce these the same? [Confused]
quote:
Mare-ee
feh-ree
Ga-ree (with an "a" like in rat or mat or sat)
Jeh-ree
La-ree (like Gary)
Dare-ee
Ma-ree (also like Gary)

Mary, Marry, and Merry are three different pronunciations for me.

Except I think I say Mary and marry the same.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

So, are "ferry" and "fairy" homophones to you midwesterners as well? How about the irish province of "Derry" and the food product "dairy"? The names "Kerry" and "Carie"? How about the Pennsylvania homophones of "Dawn" and "Don"?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The "a" in Chicago gets pronounced:

1) strong "aw", as in "One, two three: Awww"
2) weak "aw", as in coffee or Paul or the first "o" in moron or short
3) short "a", as in cat (I swear I've heard this)
4) short "o", as in pot

I was raised to pronounce it as #2. People who say it as #4 like to make fun of #2, and overdo it with #1. People who realize that #4 is wrong like to make fun of #4 people by overdoing that as #3.

Boston, Florida and Chicago all have the same vowel in them, the way I say them.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
So, are "ferry" and "fairy" homophones to you midwesterners as well? How about the irish province of "Derry" and the food product "dairy"? The names "Kerry" and "Carie"? How about the Pennsylvania homophones of "Dawn" and "Don"?

Ferry and fairy sound the same. Derry and dairy sound the same. Kerry and Carrie and carry and carie (the dental term) sound the same. But Don has the same vowel as pot and stop and cot and mop, while Dawn has the same vowel as bought and sauce and Chicago.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Oh, and:

***Your Linguistic Profile:***
60% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
15% Yankee
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

That description made me choke on my caw-fee. [Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

See, those are the same sound to me!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

But Boston is pronounced Bahstin. [Wink] (Actually, I use the weak 'aw' for Boston, but a short 'o' for Chicago. Guess that means I'm not a local of either locale.)
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And while in Bahstahn, one may pahk their cahr in Hahvahd Yahd.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Threads like this would be so much less confusing if everyone knew the International Phonetic Alphabet.

I agree.

As for the original question, I pronounce like B unless it occurs at the end of a word, such as Ray Bradbury. That I pronounce like A. Of course, as far as I know -bury is not morphologically related to bury, so there's no reason to pronounce them the same.

And, google confirms my suspicion that -bury is related to burg and burrough.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Oh, and bury == berry, but -bury (the suffix) has a schwa (which can easily morph to -bree) rather than rhyming with surry (with a fringe on top), which I pronounce with a short 'u'.

quote:
A: Similar to curried and furry
Curried has a short 'u', and furry has a schwa. (Though my grandmother, I've noticed, pronounces it with a short 'u'.)

quote:
Yes. But I can't be bothered to learn it, considering nearly no one else knows it. [Wink]
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

See, those are the same sound to me!
The first is just a really exaggerated version of the second. In the first, you close your mouth into an "o" more at the beginning. And draw it out. Oawwww. With the second one... well, when you say "oh", see where your mouth is. And when you say "ah", see where your mouth is. Now, if you have your mouth exactly midway between the two (less open than "ah", but more open than "oh"), you get "aw".
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
quote:

I agree.

As for the original question, I pronounce like B unless it occurs at the end of a word, such as Ray Bradbury. That I pronounce like A. Of course, as far as I know -bury is not morphologically related to bury, so there's no reason to pronounce them the same.

Huh. I do the same thing. Brad-burr-ee But then again, I pronounce Maybury RFD like may-barry.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The Don v. Dawn thing was something my sister dealt with in college. She had two friends named "Dawn" - one from PA and one from NJ, each with very stereotypical speaking patterns.

The first pronounced it "Dahn" (like you'd say the male name Don). The second pronounced the "aw" so hard that it sounded more like "Doowun" (imagine taking the staring sound for "wood" or "would" or "worchester" and sticking it on the "w" in "Dawn" and you're getting close to how it sounded)

When her friends would call, I'd say "It's Dawn," and she'd ask "Dahn or Doowun?"

It was crazy.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
B

But I can't imagine why I do it that way, based on other words of similar spelling; curry, hurried, I should be pronouncing it A.

What can I say, English doesnt have rules that are consistant, and I make it worse by not being consistant with my English.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce "Buried" with a silent Q and three extra "i"s.

But then again, I'm different.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hehehe.

I also had the Don/Dawn problem in college, seeing as in my hall freshman year I had one of each and they were both friends of mine...

and they both are pronounced "Dahn" round these parts [Smile]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
quote:
Yes. But I can't be bothered to learn it, considering nearly no one else knows it. [Wink]
Then you're part of the problem. [Mad]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read "buried" it's pronounced Buhrried in my head. when I say it, it rhymes with married.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
the bury really turns into bree.
Ahem. For me, this depends on the word.

Newbury has a definately"ury"
Sainsbury's, as in the supermarket, is generally a "brees". Although perhaps with a little hiccup, not really a vowel.
Salisbury is the same.

Don and Dawn are pronounced exactly how they look to me. Which is totally differently. If I switch on my American accent though, I can do them both the same, hehe.

quote:
We can't all be Jon Boy.

Also, I do- to a certain extent- it's just way easier for me to find another word which sounds the same.

quote:
When I read "buried" it's pronounced Buhrried in my head. when I say it, it rhymes with married.
I cannot get my mouth around how married can sound like murried and still be the same word. Married has an "a" in it!

O.o

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
Then you're part of the problem. [Mad]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
rivka
Member # 4859

Dunno. You could just be a test tube.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
We can't all be Jon Boy.

Also, I do- to a certain extent- it's just way easier for me to find another word which sounds the same.

But as you can see from this thread, saying "I pronounce x like y" doesn't always clarify things. [Razz]

quote:
quote:
I cannot get my mouth around how married can sound like murried and still be the same word. Married has an "a" in it!

O.o

I think she was saying that her mental pronunciation and actual pronunciation are different.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
B!

And there's definately a difference between Mary, marry, and merry!

What about lilac? Is it lilock or lilack?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
But as you can see from this thread, saying "I pronounce x like y" doesn't always clarify things. [Razz]
Well, see, I don't want to have to go searching for the correct symbols to copy and paste. Also, my knowledge is less than perfect which means I would have to go and check that it was right.

By that time, it would probably be easier for me to record myself saying each word and upload it.

[Wink]

quote:
I think she was saying that her mental pronunciation and actual pronunciation are different.
Oh. :/ I think I need to read things more carefully in the future.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
B!

Although in my mind, buried rhymes better with berried than with married, even though I'm pretty sure I pronounce them all with the same vowels. I grew up in Illinois, in the cornfields SW of Chicago.

And as far as Chicago accents go, I've heard people pronounce coffee as 'cwawfee'. The two people I can definitely remember saying this both grew up in/near Cicero.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

quote:
What about lilac? Is it lilock or lilack?
Lie-lack. I've never heard the other one.

Here's one I waffle on: apricot with a long 'a' (like "ate") or a short 'a' (like "at")? (That is a short 'a', neh?)

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
B - but berry/ferry not married.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

And given I'm a page late ( [Smile] ) - Ape-ricot.

Like the monkey. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I've never heard lilock either. Or ape-ricot, except on TV.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
B!

Although in my mind, buried rhymes better with berried than with married, even though I'm pretty sure I pronounce them all with the same vowels. I grew up in Illinois, in the cornfields SW of Chicago.

And as far as Chicago accents go, I've heard people pronounce coffee as 'cwawfee'. The two people I can definitely remember saying this both grew up in/near Cicero.

Hmm... <nod> There's this thick Chicago accent that you only find in certain parts of the Chicago area. "Da Bears" goes along with that cwawfee. It makes me think of movies about Al Capone. In the more northern parts of Chicago and the suburbs, you don't hear that kind of thing very much, though.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I say 'Apericot'.

[Smile]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
the bury really turns into bree.
Ahem. For me, this depends on the word.

Newbury has a definately"ury"
Sainsbury's, as in the supermarket, is generally a "brees". Although perhaps with a little hiccup, not really a vowel.
Salisbury is the same.

Like I said, it's a local thing. Also, as Mike briefly mentions, it's really mostly bree. I can sort of feel/hear the 'u' sound, but spoken quickly, it disappears. For non-local -burys, I pronounce it like "berry".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce lilac lilock, so you guys will have to listen to me speak sometime...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
lilac = LAH-luck
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
I say 'Apericot'.

[Smile]

I have a suspicion that we have quite similar accents.

Yours would be without the strine, of course. [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.