FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finally, a Step Toward Vat Grown Meat (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Finally, a Step Toward Vat Grown Meat
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
FC, it would depend where the original culture was derived, what the growth medium was, etc.

A definite maybe. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a discussion about this on the Avodah list (a list with discussions about various issues in Jewish law) about a year ago. There are a lot of rabbis on the list, and the general consensus was that it would probably have the same status as soya imitations of meat, regardless of the source.

The question of the growth medium, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have been addressed. That could make a difference, I imagine.

Rivka, if you'd like links to the discussion, let me know.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I second rivka's "maybe" on the kosher question. And it is likely that there will not be an overall consensus on whether it is permitted or not. This is fairly common in contemporary times -- one rabbi will certify a product to be kosher, and some folks will not accept that certification because it is not stringent enough. And in the case of ambiguous foods, some will always choose the side of caution, while others will not. Gelatin is a case in point.

I can't count the number of people who are shocked to find that many kosher-observant Jews (myself included) will eschew Hebrew National Frankfurters because they do not consider them to be kosher.

And there are long-established traditional groups of kosher-observant Jews who disagree about what foods, exactly, are allowed or forbidden on Passover.

That said, as described here, vat-grown meat sounds very very icky. They will need some very clever marketing to make people want to buy it. I am certainly put off by it.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that in GG&S, the conclusion Diamond readched was that farming takes less work now...but in that very lengthy, millienia-long duration between mechanized farming and manual-labor farming, it is actually more work-intensive than hunter--gathering.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I think Tante has the right of it. And sL, I believe I may have read that discussion. Not to mention participated in a similar one over on the torah.org fora a while back.

The thing is, I also agree with Esther on the squick factor. So I don't much care. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I just don't get the squick factor at all. It could be the death of lab grown meat, at least for the near future, because it seems pretty common, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Is vat grown meat an ANIMAL? It may be grown FROM a small part of an animal but is it an animal in and of itself?

If it's not an animal do kosher laws apply? (because I don't seem to remember anything about plants....)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's actually the third time the kosher question's been asked, Pix. The consensus seems to be "maybe".

The tissue starts out as stem cells, so it's definitely animal derived.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
noe: sorry, it's monday morning and brain isn't working. Need more brain fuel. mmmmm coffee....
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No problem--it's a pretty natural question, and my response was a little snappish. Maybe some coffee would do me good too. Mmmmmm, coffee....
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Mmmmmm, coffee....

Grown in vats high in the mountains of Columbia.

(picture Juan Valdez with a lab coat over his serape)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
See, I just don't get the squick factor at all. It could be the death of lab grown meat, at least for the near future, because it seems pretty common, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

I think it's related to the kosher thing. Vat-grown meat is rather like third- (or fourth-, or fifth-, etc.) degree leftovers. You know that joke about leftovers?
quote:
The remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served us nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.

-- Calvin Trillin

Kind of like that. [Wink]

This is both why I find it somewhat squicky, and why it may be a kosher issue -- it's hardly ex nihilo.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I think Tante has the right of it. And sL, I believe I may have read that discussion. Not to mention participated in a similar one over on the torah.org fora a while back.

The thing is, I also agree with Esther on the squick factor. So I don't much care. [Wink]

Have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? 'Cause I have, and if that didn't squick me out of eating meat, I can't imagine that a meat-jet printer would be any worse. Being able to eat yummy meat without having to think about the animals it used to be is a major plus in my book.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yup. Doesn't bother me. (Well, the smell was rather nasty, but other than that.) Neither did reading The Jungle. (I believe I was one of only two people in my college class of ~30 who didn't find it deeply disturbing.)

[Dont Know]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Lisa, you responded just so you could say "Meat-Jet Printer" didn't you? =)
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, if I'd thought of that phrase, you can bet that I'd have invented a reason to use it.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Hey, I didn't think of it and I'm still looking for reasons to use it. Unfortunately I doubt it will come up in conversation very often.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Hey, I didn't think of it and I'm still looking for reasons to use it. Unfortunately I doubt it will come up in conversation very often.

I can't take credit for it. I've heard it used elsewhere.

[Edit: I think credit may go to Jamais Cascio.]

[ June 27, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Yup. Doesn't bother me. (Well, the smell was rather nasty, but other than that.) Neither did reading The Jungle. (I believe I was one of only two people in my college class of ~30 who didn't find it deeply disturbing.)

[Dont Know]

Wow. You must have a stomach of steel.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Rivka, is this you?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also spent a few hours in a slaughterhouse and it didn't bother me a bit. And I've eaten cows whose name I knew.

But I can't eat venison without gagging. Bambi!

Consistent I am not.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Jonathan, I didn't LIKE the book. It just didn't make me feel any need to swear off eating meat. *shrug*

Tante, I wish!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.