FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ask a Ninja (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ask a Ninja
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have studied closed-door martial arts for years
Does that mean you're like really good at closing doors on people in order to injure them?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, somehow, this motion gag looked better in the B&W comic.
That was a compliment to the b&w comic, not an insult to the cartoon. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured, just pointing out that if they could get The Tick back on the air NOW, it would kick even more ass.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
I have studied closed-door martial arts for years
Does that mean you're like really good at closing doors on people in order to injure them?
Squicky, the closed-door martial arts can kill in a single blow, but they are hopelessly limited in where they can be used.

Why do you think Japanese architecure moved from swinging doors to sliding panels?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading something recently about the hostile reception the Japanese gave to Christian missionaries in the 16th and 17th centuries and now I'm wondering if this art was developed specifically to deal with door-to-door proselytizers. Does anyone know more about the history of this so-called "door-fu"?

Also, what kind of extensibility does it have? Does it work with just building doors or can less orthodox doors, such as a car door, be used? How about windows? Would a box or trunk with a heavy lid be a deadly weapon in the hands of one trained in these arts?

One last thing, for my own curiousity, does anyone know what the door-fu community feels about the invention and spread of the automatic electronic door?

[ May 15, 2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect that it was, Squick--I know that it is widely held that Jehovah's Witness-fu was developed to counter closed-door martial arts.

Personally, I think that the most deadly ninjas are of the tiny plaid variety.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Did steven really pull out the closed-door card again? I mean, really? Did I just see that? That's the most friggin' hilarious thing I've read all day.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tick is on the air here, rather late at night but on the air. Either way, I have a bootleg DVD of all The Tick episodes. I don't feel bad about buying it, FoxKids, who I believe owns the show, won't release it on DVD.

Anyway, so far as Ninjas go, they weren't specifically assasins, or anything else really. They were special forces, and mercs. The more recent theories peg them as spies more than assasins, but they did both on a regular basis.

Also, they probably rarely, if ever, wore black. And they certainly wouldn't be trained as well as samurai, it's why they became Ninjas, because they couldn't get the same kind of training that samurai got.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Teshi:
I'll be a Rogue Demon Hunter.

That is, if I can find some Rogue Demons.

Alternatively, you could hunt plain old demons in a lone wolf, live-by-your-own-rules kind of way. At least, you could until the Demon Hunter guild tracks you down and slaps you with a petty fine.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the Demon Hunter guild never enforces their penalties. I still owe 4.50 for "accidentally" vanquishing a white lighter back in aught five.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

that tiny plaid ninja link just made my day.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.