FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Festivals, Conventions, Retreats: What's Your Poison? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Festivals, Conventions, Retreats: What's Your Poison?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bonnaroo would be a bit big for me. They have a killer line-up this year, though.

And how lucky to live near Austin!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i could see it getting a bit overwhelming, but i think it would be worth it.

and i, personally, like the music scene in Houston better than Austin. it is more eclectic and still catches the runoff from austin. there is some absolutely fantastic music comin through these parts these days. its not a bad time to be alive.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Who are some of your favorites?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bonnaroo is in Austin this year? I wasn't aware it moved.

The first time I'd ever heard of it was last year when it was in (I think) Tennesee.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't there two instances of Bonnaroo? One in Tennessee and one... somewhere else?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else in Washington going this year?
Possibly, though I have always thought I'd wait until Andrew is more controllable.

I to take my kids to all the Ren Faires, and would happily do it year round if I could. We have talked about making the step to performers.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

no, no, Bonnaroo is not in Austin. that was a seperate comment. Austin City Limits and South by Southwest are in Austin.

elizabeth - recently i've started getting into the following bands:

North Mississippi Allstars (southern rock - Austin)
Yonder Mountain String Band (bluegrass - Austin)
The Gourds (bluegrass again - Austin)
Blaggards (Irish Rock - Houston)
Keller Williams (folk rock - dunno)

I highly recommend checking them out. It's good stuff.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wow, vonk, you are on the same musical page as I am.

I adore the Gourds. I saw the lead singer at Rhythm and Roots in a singer-songwriter workshop. (I also saw the whole band and loved them)

Yonder Mt is awesome as well.
Keller Williams is one of my favorites, ever. He is amazingly versatile and exciting.

I am a hardcore Donna the Buffalo fan, and my small city of choice as far as music is concerned is Ithaca, New York.

I am a live music addict. Studio records sound canned to me now.

vonk
Member # 9027

wow, that is awesome. i'll have to check out...Donna the Buffalo is it? what kind of music is that? and i agree about live music. there is a really great venu(sp?) next to my job that has some really excellent shows. Keller Williams is actually going to be coming soon, i can't wait.

Kidney Stones is an absolutely fantastic song.

[ March 30, 2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, vonk, the eternal question!

Donn the Buffalo plays, to sum up, roots rock. Here is how the band describes itself:

"That includes the band's sound, which piles reggae, rock, country, zydeco, Cajun, and folk on top of old-time fiddle music to create a combination best described as original American dance music."

www.donnathebuffalo.com

Do you download live music? Do you know about the live music archive?

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php

vonk
Member # 9027

awesome. i'm at work, so i can't download right now. but i will when i get home.

i've heard about archive.org recently, but i haven't had a chance to check it out. it's good i assume?

that discription sounds pretty kick-a. i will defenitely have to check them out. any particular song or concert i should check out?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.