FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mobility Rights in the People's Republic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mobility Rights in the People's Republic
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The cultural and historical circumstance between Canada and China are lightyears different, its justified to maintain social order if it means China can catch up to the west even a decade faster.
It's justified because it's the Chinese it's happening to and not your tender hide. That's why you're a hypocrite: because you're willing to endorse the violation of rights you and I know perfectly well you wouldn't give up yourself.

Why did I stop saying, "Hail China!" again? My concern that it's insulting is diminshing in the face of this level of hypocrisy.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing THEY don't care, infact they spent decades suffering under Western Imperialism, remember the Opium Wars? Heck, in one of em EIGHT western major powers all sent troops to intervene in China's internal affairs why? Because China was weak and backwards then and suffered under a weak Imperial Court.

They see catching up in living standards as THE way to make sure it never happens again.

I'ld complain about my violation of rights because there is no justification of mitigating circumstance to clamp down on Canadian rights, we do not need economic improvement that our economy isn't already generating, we do not need to worry about foreign aggressors that can't be handled by our alliance with NATO, and we do not need to worry about exploitative companies because NAFTA protects us.

China has every reason to fear the above and as such ARE justified by any means nessasary to do so.

Now back to HRB's the number as far as I can comprehend is getting smaller, each new generation of PRC leadership is getting younger and more progressing the changing from Jiang to Hu Jintao was the first peaceful transition of power in China, 80% of their county side holds direct democratic elections for their leaders, their military has slimmed down and is easily one of the most advance, well organized and powerful regional military force in the world and a responcible one as well with a tradition of treating POW's well.

Today the PRC is a major player in todays politics as they're currently a major supporter in disarming North Korea and would obvious be our main allies if we ever had to forcefully disarm Kim Jong Il. The PRC's economy since its acsention to the WTO is driving up the economic growth of tis neighbours and will soon exceed America as Japans as its largest trading partner.

Diplomatically the PRC has continued a policy of mutual cooperation beginning with the founding of the Shanghai Cooperation with Russia a leading founder and many other Asian nations as signatories and has continued to contribute to East Asia's stability favoring free trade to Japan's protectionists policies.

South Korea stands firm with China on many issues esp those regarding Japan's recent remergance and their Prime Minister's visit to the Ancesteral Shrine. (thats not to say that I find PM kuizomi (sp?) a driving force in Japanese recovery his privatization of postage I think was a good idea).

Yes China has its problems but what nation doesn't? Russia has huge internal troubles including the Mafia and the Chechnyan insurrection, America has this illegal invasion of Iraq on its hands and its frequent HRV's of Islamic citizens and many foreign nationals all beign shipped to secret prisons in Indo CHina and Eastern Europe. And the swiss! Don't get me started...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

China has every reason to fear the above and as such ARE justified by any means nessasary

Will you still be singing this tune when they blow up your house?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll try not to.

I think it's great that you are interested in China and from what I've heard it has become a great place to visit.

I find your attitude a bit strange because, if anything, I'd hope to see China avoid the mistakes of other countries that have modernized before. It seems that China's industrial revolution is going to end up with them going through 1920's-1960's style pollution problems. But see, they don't have the excuse of ignorance. They're going about screwing up their country for future generations and all in the name of "catching up" with the world.

I don't find Communism particularly scary, to be honest. I just never viewed is that big a threat. It's sort of always been a failed idea in my lifetime. And the regimes that try to adhere to it are all repressive and, as we've now seen, pretty short-lived.

What China is doing...once again experimenting...in the area of petty capitalism makes a lot of sense. The problems they have with massive poverty, over-population, etc., etc. aren't easily solved. I sympathize.

But maybe what they need to do is govern less. Maybe what that country needs is for the government to disolve itself. Honestly, what would change for the average person if the government were not there? Except for the bureaucrats, I suspect precious little.

Except that NOW they're getting involved with things like reshaping the rivers, and disrupting people's lives. It's a mess.

And they STILL have a lot to answer for on Tibet, and their human rights record.

That stuff you can't just cover over as "growing pains, Blayne. It's a history of devaluing their own people and it's a sign of a truly malignant government, if you stop to think about it.

Ah well...just so long as the people there aren't complaining, though, it must all be okay.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
One time I had a dream that we could teach monkeys to talk.

Or maybe that was Planet of the Apes, I can't really remember.

Either way, it ended with a bunch of pale guys worshipping a bomb.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ok, Tibet has been Chinese for a LONG time and I don't see the states giving back the Indians they're land anytime soon or for that mater agreeing to stop sterizing indian childran for that matter, for the record minorities has it good in China, your allowed yo have up to 3 children and the autonomus regions do have a certain level of growing autonomy over the years, the Dalai Lama himself has said that Tibet needs China.

Disrupting river? This is to provide clean hydroelectric power for the people, it was certainly the governments intent that the people moved be compensated, I've heard a few corrupt officals got at some of that money I hope they're arrested shortly.

Now do yuo honestly expect ANY government to suddenly disolve itself and expect everything to go smoothly? Alot of China's rapid economic growth is through a series of bottom-up policies that all got clumped together and appear to be working, very few chinese are complaining, one of the chinese kids at SinoDefence got his first computer in 93' what can he possibly complain about? For such fast economic growth a few sacrifices can be endured for a little while, so far it been the PRC's governments intent to democratize gradually and so far has kept its promise.

From a moral standpoint human rights abuses aren't okay but from a historical and economic persepctive its a price to be paid for security and so far the government IS doing its job in providing it, they kept arms budget pretty darn low since the 70's concentrating on economic development, opening and stability, improving relations with Russia and India and the central asian nations etc.

I'm content to know that as long as the situation is improving and it is the intentions of the men and women and power to make sure that things improve I can't complain and no one really should. Alot of the complaints so far have been very mch centered not on the rights of the PRC citizens themselves but rather on China's emerging economic threta to "America's" strategic interests. Media coverage of internal PRC life they find and magnify the negatives and hope to use it as only a means to dehumanize the opposition and if that small group of American NeoCons get they're way and manage to provoke a conflict with the Chinese then I fear the worst.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Tibet has been Chinese for a short time, and the atrocities perpetuated by China during the early part of its occupation were awful. However, there are so many Chinese there now as part of the assimilation policy (and plain old need for space) that Tibet will definitely remain Chinese, even if it somehow separated from China as a nation.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

700 hundred years ago the Yuan dynasty conquered Tibet and added it to Imperial territory, since then China Emperors have excersized from de jure to de facto control over tibet but Tibet has nevertheless always been considered China it was only in the 1900's that the British attmepted to try to pry territory off of Tibet for their Indian realm and tried to conclude a separate treaty with the Tibetans the Manchu's refused to even recognize this but dispite the short about of time of sovereignty not one country recognized Tibet as a soveriegn nation and Tibet even in 1920's send in delegates to the Republic of China in Nanjing to to sign a new Constitution of China implying that at this time they considered themselves as Chinese.

As for actual Chinese immigration if you look at the dmeographics the Tibetans are actually the majority in Tibet, they're only a minority if you include other territory once though of tibet that are now quite separate autononmus regions.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
for the record minorities has it good in China, your allowed yo have up to 3 children
The mere fact that this is defined as "having it good" should give you some pause.

quote:
I'm content to know that as long as the situation is improving and it is the intentions of the men and women and power to make sure that things improve I can't complain and no one really should.
Why not? Because here's the thing: YOUR life will be a lot worse if China winds up running the world.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Umm no cuz by the time they will run the world they would have sufficiently democratized enough that my life wouldn't be alot worse.

And besides I fully intent to live and work as a IT Professional in China anyways.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Umm no cuz by the time they will run the world they would have sufficiently democratized enough that my life wouldn't be alot worse.

And besides I fully intent to live and work as a IT Professional in China anyways.

*grin* I believe the term we're looking for is "Mandarin."
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I also intend to learn the language unless you mean become a Mandarin aka citizenship thats good too.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever get a chance to check out China Mountain Zhang, Blayne? I really do think that you'd find the world an interesting one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, just because you can point to other problems in the world doesn't make China's government good.

30 million people died in the "Great Leap Forward" (ummm...okay, give or take a few million). That beats out the next largest genocide by 50% (again, give or take a few percentage points). And it beats out the one after that by more than a factor of 4 (IIRC).

And I don't care if it was incompetence or deliberate malicious intent, the government caused the death of a huge number of their own citizens. That's a heck of a legacy.

Point away at others, but don't forget to point back at the source too.

This is not a good government...yet. If it ever gets there, I'll be cheering right along with you, but I don't see much to applaud so far.

To this outsider, they seem not just corrupt, but malignant. My attitude toward "reform" in China is "prove it. In maybe 50 or 100 years or so, if the government has proven itself to be a positive force in the lives of their people consistently for that period, I'll revise my opinion. Until then, all we have is their past on which to judge them. And they fail. Badly. From any human standard I'd care to uphold.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Nope haven't gotten it remember I'm poor I have to mooch off of Tom here [Wink]

I'll respond to Bob asap busy with soemthing here.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Blayne,

quote:
They see catching up in living standards as THE way to make sure it never happens again.
They've got nukes. It's not going to happen again. You know it, I know it, and they know it. They're not stupid, and that excuse doesn't fool me for a second. It is not the spectre of Big Bad Western Imperialism that keeps the PRC's boot on the neck of its people. Give me a freaking break.

quote:
China has every reason to fear the above and as such ARE justified by any means nessasary to do so.
It's like you read 1984 and took it literally, as though it were a straightforward statement of honest moral and political truths. Orwell would be delighted, I'm sure.

quote:
Today the PRC is a major player in todays politics as they're currently a major supporter in disarming North Korea and would obvious be our main allies if we ever had to forcefully disarm Kim Jong Il. The PRC's economy since its acsention to the WTO is driving up the economic growth of tis neighbours and will soon exceed America as Japans as its largest trading partner.

Diplomatically the PRC has continued a policy of mutual cooperation beginning with the founding of the Shanghai Cooperation with Russia a leading founder and many other Asian nations as signatories and has continued to contribute to East Asia's stability favoring free trade to Japan's protectionists policies.

You've admitted yourself that the PRC openly reneges on its promises, but it doesn't matter as much because they have a "saving face" culture. It's nonsense. We don't have a 'saving face' culture? Of course we do. It's fundamental to our political system.

quote:
Yes China has its problems but what nation doesn't? Russia has huge internal troubles including the Mafia and the Chechnyan insurrection, America has this illegal invasion of Iraq on its hands and its frequent HRV's of Islamic citizens and many foreign nationals all beign shipped to secret prisons in Indo CHina and Eastern Europe. And the swiss! Don't get me started...
You get yourself started when you start fanboying over how great the PRC is, and then when anyone-from me, to Bob, to HRW, to the UN, to Tibetans, to Taiwanese, to dead protestors and jailed worshipers-starts pointing out how stupid your fanboying really is you start shouting, "OMG! LOOK OVER THERE!"

It's like a weird bait and switch distraction ploy in politics, and the only one you're fooling is yourself.

quote:
From a moral standpoint human rights abuses aren't okay but from a historical and economic persepctive its a price to be paid for security and so far the government IS doing its job in providing it, they kept arms budget pretty darn low since the 70's concentrating on economic development, opening and stability, improving relations with Russia and India and the central asian nations etc.
Yay! It's our old friend, "The ends justify the means." Don't try to bulls*@! a bull@(%%er, Blayne. You wouldn't just roll over and lay down if your government cited a vague, kept-at-bay threat like-for instance-CHINA-and said, "OK Canadians, here's what we're going to do to keep the Yellow Peril at bay. Your rights in politics, press, economics, religion, are hereby severely truncated. Go Canada! We'll be safe from those awful, awful Chinese...someday. Until then, though...do what we say. It's for your own good."
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
They've got nukes. It's not going to happen again. You know it, I know it, and they know it. They're not stupid, and that excuse doesn't fool me for a second. It is not the spectre of Big Bad Western Imperialism that keeps the PRC's boot on the neck of its people. Give me a freaking break.
A) Having nukes doesn't always garantee security, and they only have around 20-40 ICBM's and about 3000 warheads for IRBM and SLBM and tactical use. Conventionally, what happens if a war starts and it is perpetuated by small segment of the political strata that want to see China humbled to keep up the illusion of American Hegemony? China needs the military and political force to make sure that even if a minority does do such a thing (to cite as a possible example) China will have the amble mility force projection to protect their interests.

quote:
It's like you read 1984 and took it literally, as though it were a straightforward statement of honest moral and political truths. Orwell would be delighted, I'm sure.

Currently umm EVERY nation does what it needs to do to protect themselves or to compete with the next notch up why not China?

quote:
You've admitted yourself that the PRC openly reneges on its promises, but it doesn't matter as much because they have a "saving face" culture. It's nonsense. We don't have a 'saving face' culture? Of course we do. It's fundamental to our political system.
I never said any such thing I said if they keep their new promises is irrelevent I did not say that they have a habit of breaking them. the US broke its agreement to stick to SALTII. China has kept its nuclear force small though constantly makes it more modern.

Everything I listed is a FACT of a promise KEPT. Asian face saving culture is more imprinted upon their subconsiousness, considering that when in the Ruso-Japanese war several Japanese officers commited seppeku when Japan agreed to make peace with Russia under French, German and American pressure.

quote:
You get yourself started when you start fanboying over how great the PRC is, and then when anyone-from me, to Bob, to HRW, to the UN, to Tibetans, to Taiwanese, to dead protestors and jailed worshipers-starts pointing out how stupid your fanboying really is you start shouting, "OMG! LOOK OVER THERE!"

It's like a weird bait and switch distraction ploy in politics, and the only one you're fooling is yourself.

Umm no, Tibet is historically part of China and is undenyable. Your argueing is also ridiculasly one sided in comparrison so I defend the PRC because of such one sided arguements. Your paragraph is barely comprehendable do you want me to point out many of America's hyporitical human rights abuses? I know it doesn't justify China's alledged abuses but believe me and the testimonies of those who've been to China that the situation is improving. Go to the link I gave you there's a whole discussion of what has been happening lately within the PRC.

Here's an example: a protester goes to Tienamen Square and starts making a ruckus, a police officer goes to help and starts to escourt him away off the Square, the protester struggles and says he won't hurt him and the officer smiles and says "Why would I do that?". There was no brutallity in that instance, there is certainly brutality SOMEWHERE in the PRC afterall reforms don't happen that quickly but there is just as easily police brutality and abuse/corruption in any other country you just have to look, pointing at one HRA and using it as an example of the nation of the whole is what I find as stupid and unfair.

quote:
Yay! It's our old friend, "The ends justify the means." Don't try to bulls*@! a bull@(%%er, Blayne. You wouldn't just roll over and lay down if your government cited a vague, kept-at-bay threat like-for instance-CHINA-and said, "OK Canadians, here's what we're going to do to keep the Yellow Peril at bay. Your rights in politics, press, economics, religion, are hereby severely truncated. Go Canada! We'll be safe from those awful, awful Chinese...someday. Until then, though...do what we say. It's for your own good."
Calm down and restate that with a little more politeness and comprehension, maybe even rethink it a little and take into the account the FACTS that you quoted oh so nicely of you and then I'll anwser.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
A) Having nukes doesn't always garantee security, and they only have around 20-40 ICBM's and about 3000 warheads for IRBM and SLBM and tactical use.
It sure as hell worked for the USA, the USSR, and North Korea. Every nation does what it must to protect itself, yes. But the PRC belongs to that smaller community of nations that go out of their way to generate threats that don't actually exist, such as: if we don't tromp on your liberty, peasants, the USA will TAKE OVEROMG!

*sigh*

I've given up again. Enjoy your Oriental style rose-colored glasses.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, China wouldn't somehow "lose out" economically or militarily if the government allowed dissent. Instead, search engine results are filtered and blogs are censored. This kind of thing has no productive effect. "Cultural differences" don't justify censorship, and saying "other countries are bad too" doesn't make it okay.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your argueing is also ridiculasly one sided in comparrison so I defend the PRC because of such one sided arguements. Your paragraph is barely comprehendable do you want me to point out many of America's hyporitical human rights abuses?
Ah, delicious, delicious irony.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Hm, JT's post contradicts Davidson's Postulate that posts noting spelling or grammar errors invariably contain such errors. Interesting.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Blayne, China wouldn't somehow "lose out" economically or militarily if the government allowed dissent. Instead, search engine results are filtered and blogs are censored. This kind of thing has no productive effect. "Cultural differences" don't justify censorship, and saying "other countries are bad too" doesn't make it okay.
Its not that they don't allow dissent, some is even encouraged and sometimes even if the authorities don't like it and do try to close it down the person who put it up isn't always arrested anymore, I remeber one case where a students Pro Democracy website was hacked 38 times and he wasn't arrested once, he was questioned, he was asked to give the names of people who handed in essays, he refused but wasn't arrested.

The policy is this: Political Stability is Important for ecnomic growth but critisisms what Do Benefit Economic growth are tolerated.

This is part of a larger policy of gradual democratization.

I kow that it doesn't make it ok but certain governments shouldn't complain until they've fixed their own backyard first.

quote:
It sure as hell worked for the USA, the USSR, and North Korea. Every nation does what it must to protect itself, yes. But the PRC belongs to that smaller community of nations that go out of their way to generate threats that don't actually exist, such as: if we don't tromp on your liberty, peasants, the USA will TAKE OVEROMG!

*sigh*

I've given up again. Enjoy your Oriental style rose-colored glasses.

It obviously didn't work, because both sides had tens of thousands of nukes the advantage of having nukes is crossed out thus massive spending on conventional forces and a massive effort in surogot wars to compete with each other.

As for generating threats I think more then one person on different threads have said that America does have the odd trend of invading nations it doesn't like or overthrowing their governments. The ROK and the PRC stand together in their criticisms of the Japanese, are you saying that the Republic of Korea is also one of those nations that generate threats?

The Sino-American relationship is a complicated one, both sides have their blues and their reds, but overall the PRC considers the USA as the greatest potential threat to its national security just as the USA does likewise but both sides however have put alot of media coverage in trying to improve relations and strengthening bilateral ties.

The bottom line is this is to keep your enemies close and your enemies closer, any nation with any decent economy has an investment in their National Defence and the PRC is no different.

Rakeesh your taking an overly simplyfied view of the situation, at the very least take a look at the link and look at the anwsers given by a PRC National. Internet censorship in China is pathetic and easy to get around, maybe you should lodge a complaint to Microsoft for selling them the software to make censorship more effective.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to keep it simple.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Its not that they don't allow dissent, some is even encouraged and sometimes even if the authorities don't like it and do try to close it down the person who put it up isn't always arrested anymore, I remeber one case where a students Pro Democracy website was hacked 38 times and he wasn't arrested once, he was questioned, he was asked to give the names of people who handed in essays, he refused but wasn't arrested.

The policy is this: Political Stability is Important for ecnomic growth but critisisms what Do Benefit Economic growth are tolerated.

This is part of a larger policy of gradual democratization.

I kow that it doesn't make it ok but certain governments shouldn't complain until they've fixed their own backyard first.

You're making the same arguments that I've already said I don't accept. Suppression of dissent does not promote political stability in a significant way. Tienamen Square showed us this decades ago.

Dissent is suppressed. Search engines and blog hosts (giants Google and Microsoft, among others) have to filter or block certain terms -- and therefore certain ideas -- in order to operate in China. That is direct suppression of dissent. It's even worse than arresting people who post pro-democracy blog entries; they're stopping people from making those posts in the first place.

And again, saying "but other countries are bad in other ways" is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Tienamen Square saw a changeover i the political leadership switching to a more proprogressive leadership force. The SARS epidemic also saw the PRC fire and sack several hgh ranking PRC politicians who were responsible for not containing the outbreak, if anything I think The incident had the exact opposite effect then was intented by those who had ordered it. Doesn't make the deaths of a few hundred students right but maybe those students would've died for something and hopefully soon we'll see it happen in full bloom.

Supressing dissent does promote stability if there is no major changeover in government that would happen otherwise, a linear progression in the CCP allows a continueous internal and external policy and aside from small course corrections every few years stability has been kept and the economy keeps on booming thus to a PRC citizen there's no need for any change of government until as Card put it they lose the Mandate of Heaven aka the People.

But once again I'll say again that the controls on dissent have been losening, not much but they have and they continue to do so in small little increments.

The best way to prove that suppressing dissent == stability is to look at India, the "model" of East Asian democracy in a populace multi hundred million people population.

India upon close notice is hardly stable; their various ethnic groups keep causing turmoil, theirs curently a geurilla movements spanning several states, they ruthlessly oppress Kashmere, a much larger proportion of their economy goes into their military and to maintain a nuclear deterrent against India. India itself is rife with political turmoil AND I've seen dozen of Amnesty International Documentaries dealing with India's rather large list of ethnic strife related human rights abuses and womans rights abuses as woman just for being a diffent subcaste of indian was raped by a poice officer.

Overpopulation in India is a huge problem, much larger then China's, for India has no effective long term plan to control population growth small efforts like offering a ham radio or 50 american $ for a visectomy don't effect the population growth very much at all. Poverty is rife in India has engaged in many skirmishes with Pakistan and one border war with China. Then there's the en masse of troubles with the Muslim Minority within India proper.

And yet India is considered a model of a liberal democracy? To Chinese policy makers and planners India's history is a telling example of how democracy can be detrimental to a society as large and diverse as india.

Then there's the top down approch of Glavnos in Soviet Russia, it lead to the collapse of the once mighty Soviet Union and its leaders have been regretting it ever since, another exmaple of how political democracy can spell the death knell of a large nation. Deng Xiaopeng avoided alot of the economic troubles by the virtue he was mostly encouraging economic reforms made locally.

"It doesn't matter if the cat is white or black for as long as it catches mice. For it is a good cat." - Sichuan Proverb.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Supressing dissent does promote stability if there is no major changeover in government that would happen otherwise...
No, it doesn't. Additionally, allowing dissent is not the same as changing to a democratic system. I'm not advocating the [edit: latter! I'm not advocating the latter!] in this discussion.

[ February 08, 2006, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

So wait, are you saying the China should allow dissent or should change to a multi party democracy?
twinky
Member # 693

The first. As I said, I'm not advocating the second in this discussion.

There is no good reason to attempt to smother dissent in the way they are doing, and it's ineffective anyway.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you misspoke earlier when you said "I'm not advocating the former in this discussion."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oops. I'll add an edit.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter if it catches mice, as long as it stir-fries well. -- Sichuan Pepper Cat

Sheesh, just cuz nutcases like to "China is the Devil" ain't no cause to go to the opposite extreme. eg The progressive leader of China during the 1989 TiananmenSquare incident was booted out of office and made into a non-person because he opposed the CentralCommittee conservatives' desire to massacre the demonstrators. And even when he finally died in 2004, the CommunistParty still suppressed reportage on his life, and even on the fact of his death, for fear of creating a martyr for human rights demonstrators.

[ February 08, 2006, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually it is the cause of going to this extreme, I see nutcases doing it so I take the opposite extreme to try to debate them.

Actually what is little known is that the Politburo was deadlocked during the incident, 50-50, the call to crush the demonstrators was done illegally, since then alot of the conservatives have lost their jobs. Hu Jintao and Wen, PRC's latest leadership are the youngest to reach their positions, got it through a peaceful change of power and since then conservative Jiang has lost alot of his support in the politburo.

The thing is is that dissent is encouraged for as long as it does not challenge the One Party system within the PRC, after that the dissent is mostly anti corruption in nature and aimed at correcting...

I'm sorry but I'm feeling very ill. brb.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
It obviously didn't work, because both sides had tens of thousands of nukes the advantage of having nukes is crossed out thus massive spending on conventional forces and a massive effort in surogot wars to compete with each other.
Once again you're changing goals and definitions in mid-discussion. You were talking about how the PRC is justified in anything it does to protect itself from being overrun and dominated as in the Opium Wars.

I cited nuclear weapons, North Korea, and the USSR as very firm examples of nations which possess (or strongly are suspected of possessing to the point of certainty) nuclear weapons that serve as protections against just that sort of thing.

Then you say, "They don't work because of surpluses of nukes and surrogate wars, blah blah blah."

quote:
As for generating threats I think more then one person on different threads have said that America does have the odd trend of invading nations it doesn't like or overthrowing their governments.
Yeah! America sucks! Hail China! Your explanations of American history are facile and incomplete. Oh, and America hasn't conquered and subjugated any of the nations we've invaded...unlike the PRC and Tibet.

Oh, right. Tibet was Chinese anyway, they were slavers, they want the Chinese there, and it's really for the best. I forgot. Virtually every organization on Earth that has an opinion on Tibet is wrong, and the PRC's state-owned media is reporting the honest truth.

I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion with you about what PRC nationals think. You have made yourself known around here for utterly disregarding any accounts about the PRC-from nationals or otherwise-so what would be the point? If you could find it within your youthful naivete to bend just a little in your firm Hail China! convictions, maybe I'd be tempted.

But the UN, the US, HRW, WTO, Tibetans, anytime they have something bad to say about the PRC...you change the subject. Other people are worse. They're getting better. You can't believe them, but you can believe the PRC. It's OK because we're threatening them. Blah, blah, blah. It's all bullcrap.

quote:
Actually it is the cause of going to this extreme, I see nutcases doing it so I take the opposite extreme to try to debate them.
So! At long, long last you admit you're taking out-there, extreme stances. Well that's reassuring, at least.

quote:
The thing is is that dissent is encouraged for as long as it does not challenge the One Party system within the PRC, after that the dissent is mostly anti corruption in nature and aimed at correcting...
That's one of the most fascist statements I've heard made with sincerity lately. "Dissent is OK...just don't question the status quo."
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Once again you're changing goals and definitions in mid-discussion. You were talking about how the PRC is justified in anything it does to protect itself from being overrun and dominated as in the Opium Wars.

I cited nuclear weapons, North Korea, and the USSR as very firm examples of nations which possess (or strongly are suspected of possessing to the point of certainty) nuclear weapons that serve as protections against just that sort of thing.

Then you say, "They don't work because of surpluses of nukes and surrogate wars, blah blah blah."

Here you completely disregard what I wrote so there's no point on continueing on that subpoint.

quote:
Yeah! America sucks! Hail China! Your explanations of American history are facile and incomplete. Oh, and America hasn't conquered and subjugated any of the nations we've invaded...unlike the PRC and Tibet.

Oh, right. Tibet was Chinese anyway, they were slavers, they want the Chinese there, and it's really for the best. I forgot. Virtually every organization on Earth that has an opinion on Tibet is wrong, and the PRC's state-owned media is reporting the honest truth.

I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion with you about what PRC nationals think. You have made yourself known around here for utterly disregarding any accounts about the PRC-from nationals or otherwise-so what would be the point? If you could find it within your youthful naivete to bend just a little in your firm Hail China! convictions, maybe I'd be tempted.

But the UN, the US, HRW, WTO, Tibetans, anytime they have something bad to say about the PRC...you change the subject. Other people are worse. They're getting better. You can't believe them, but you can believe the PRC. It's OK because we're threatening them. Blah, blah, blah. It's all bullcrap.

Oh? What about the Pilipines? What about the millions of miles of Indian territory that just happened to used to belong to the natives? What about when you invaded Canada in 1812? We kicked your asses right back out! What about when America deliberately made up an excuse to intervene in Cuba and wrote an unbalance treaty allowing the States to invade any time they wish? What about when you siezed land off of Mexico? What about when you forced the Confederate States to stay in the Union? What about when you invaded the Kingdom of Hawaii? What about when you send Ironclads to force Japan to open to trade? Back to the Indians how to you justify murdering millions of Indians in a ruthless and systematic genocide that still continues to this day with the denying the Indians having been forced to live in Reservations that ironically has some fo the most profitable natural gas and mineral reserves the very money thats being made from exploiting those resources?

The settlers were given a bounty for every indian scalp they found it didnt matter if they were chuldren or women or wait if it were an Indian woman it was raped THEN scalped. You killed the Buffolo to deny them their living, you forced them to sell you land at substandard prices and when they wanted something better you killed them, you invaded THEIR lands and take what you wanted, and once forced to live on reserves you took their children away and forced them to go through brutal assimilation within residential schools to make them nolonger "savages". These by our standards are all crimes against Humanity yet I don't see anyone apologizing or setting things right.

A German comic writer got hanged at Nuremburg for making anti semetic comics, the judges from US, Britain, France, and the Soviet Union all agreed that he worked towards the dehumanization of Jews and even if he didn't kill any allowed Germans to think of Jews as less then human. Today similar is done towards Indians I read an article how there's legal action against various sports teams for having offencive names like Braves, Savages etc.

And don't say its all clean fun what about if we had a team called the Pittsburg Kikes, or the San Fransico Fags or the Drunken Irish or ... or.... get my point?

Weren't you listening? The DALAI LAMA himself said that Tibet needs China for economic development, and hopes for increasing autonomy rights for Tibetans in the future, alot of the "atrocities" commited to Tibetans were caused by Tibetan Red Guards.

And the World Trade Organization has several articles on Google Scholar on how Chinese economic growth is good for the regional economy increasing the local GDP and PPP, and increasing the volumn of East Asian trade and supplying jobs for Asians, I don't see what the WTO said was bad in that.

Actually if you had even looked you would find that there were PRC Nationals that had certain COMPLAINTS about the current state of affairs mostly regarding the pollution in Northern cities and have much to say on China in general its a very moderate forum mostly about China's Defencive capabilities.

Finally, I did not say that Human Rights Watch was WRONG I said that what they provide is mostly DATA, to be interpreted, do you consider that China has 1.3 BILLION people and just may have many more cases of [insert abuse here] because of their size? How many other little things have you maybe forgotten to find ways that A might be explained?

quote:
So! At long, long last you admit you're taking out-there, extreme stances. Well that's reassuring, at least.
I still try to argue from a logical perspective utilizing facts, history, and common sense.

quote:
That's one of the most fascist statements I've heard made with sincerity lately. "Dissent is OK...just don't question the status quo."
If the States were dirt poor trampled on by foreign nations, suffered from a nearly a near Anarchic and constant civil wars between State governors and Congress either didnt exist or was only a pale shadow of authority wouldn't you maybe just maybe might be willing to sacrifice some freedoms if it meant your children could be proud again? And if it means you can't give constructive critisisms on the organs of state power itself bt can give constuctive critisism on indirect Party policy without trouble wouldn't that be okay given the situation?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I'm not sure you understand what "dissent" means, Blayne.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Oh? What about the Pilipines? What about the millions of miles of Indian territory that just happened to used to belong to the natives? What about when you invaded Canada in 1812? We kicked your asses right back out! What about when America deliberately made up an excuse to intervene in Cuba and wrote an unbalance treaty allowing the States to invade any time they wish? What about when you siezed land off of Mexico? What about when you forced the Confederate States to stay in the Union? What about when you invaded the Kingdom of Hawaii? What about when you send Ironclads to force Japan to open to trade? Back to the Indians how to you justify murdering millions of Indians in a ruthless and systematic genocide that still continues to this day with the denying the Indians having been forced to live in Reservations that ironically has some fo the most profitable natural gas and mineral reserves the very money thats being made from exploiting those resources?
Long. Time. Ago.

Are you really sure you want to start comparing past atrocities and misdeeds between China and the USA? Are you sure about that? If the sky's the limit on length of time passed, then I trust you with your passable knowledge of Chinese history know what a stupid thing that would be to do. And anyway, the PRC is doing these things NOW. It only serves to illustrate how weak your argument is that you bring up centuries old history to defend PRC tyranny.

All the things you complain of, they're complained about by Americans, too. Openly. People demand reparations from the government all the time, and insult the government, run in elections against the government, in response to those crimes.

Doesn't. Happen. In. the PRC. If the government has done something you don't like, you'd better shut your freaking mouth about it in public or we'll run a tank over you or throw you in jail. You can dissent, but don't dissent against the status quo? Are you even listening to how stupid that is? That's like saying, "You can walk in public...just not on sidewalks, crosswalks, or the grass. You can only walk between these two lines one foot apart, that connect only certain places-if you've got the right forms in triplicate."

Oh, and as for how I didn't even listen to the irrelevant nonsense you wrote about surpluses and buildups of conventional forces? I did respond to them, but those points were irrelevant. My point was that the PRC need nod fear an American takeover like you described because it's got nukes, and having nukes stops that sort of thing.

You responded with, "But that leads to a buildup of conventional forces and nuclear warhead surpluses, blah blah blah." You dodged my point and didn't address it at all. Either refute it-say that nuclear weapons don't protect a nation from hostile takeover or military action-or quit whining already.

You're wrong about HRW. They don't just provide data. Which you'd know if you examined their website about the PRC with anything approaching an objective eye. Your point about population size is stupid-if that were the only reason, the PRC would be shouting it from the rooftops and everyone would have to agree because it would be obviously true. x number of violates per y size of population equals z% abuses overall, compared to other nations, etc. etc. That little comparison doesn't get made.

Geepers! I wonder why?

quote:
If the States were dirt poor trampled on by foreign nations, suffered from a nearly a near Anarchic and constant civil wars between State governors and Congress either didnt exist or was only a pale shadow of authority wouldn't you maybe just maybe might be willing to sacrifice some freedoms if it meant your children could be proud again? And if it means you can't give constructive critisisms on the organs of state power itself bt can give constuctive critisism on indirect Party policy without trouble wouldn't that be okay given the situation?
No. It wouldn't be OK. Because, see, I'm an American and I know that these things are possible without tyranny. You're a Canadian, you should know better, too. But you've lived the comfortable life of a Canadian for too long, and things like suffering and tyranny are academic subjects for you, and you lack the imagination to see them as anything but mild inconveniences to be endured for the sake of some larger goal. Try living it for awhile, you hypocrite, and then tell us how willing people are to endure it.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

It just occurred to me that it might appear that I'm thinking only Americans think that those things are possible without tyranny. Obviously this is untrue, and not what I intended to say.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.