FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you belong to a group, is it okay to stereotype? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you belong to a group, is it okay to stereotype?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you belong to a group, is it okay to stereotype?
I personally think that we are too quick to condemn anything that is close to stereotyping. Stereotyping is a very useful tool, and to some extent, it's impossible for the human brain to not stereotype.

The problems come when you forget that it's a stereotype and think of it as the truth. As long as you remember that it's a stereotype, I don't have a problem with it.

[ February 01, 2006, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

Use of "The N Word" is a prime example. Most of the people I know who use it today would not DREAM of using it deliberately to be offensive or degrading toward a black person, but because of the prominence and "adoption" of the term by the majority of modern black culture it seems like it's more okay to say it.

I forget that the "N" word is a degrading word, since it's been used in every single rap and hip hop song. EEp, I call my friends that all the time :X. None of us are black though, so I dunno. I never even think of what it means when I call to my friends with this. I don't use it in a negative way, as odd as that sounds....

I bag on my fellow Asians all the time. The city in which I live is 70% Asian. It's a pretty famous place [Smile]

I guess it's just based on intentions. I don't say anything to intentionally hurt, but I think it sometimes comes out that way. I guess I need to work on that :|

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.