FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Villiage (spoilers for all M. Night Shamaguy movies) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Villiage (spoilers for all M. Night Shamaguy movies)
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for Signs...

Teshi, yeah, it was the fatal weak point that caused much of my amusement. Hey, it's a race allergic to water invading a planet that's mostly...water! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'big reveal' was not particularly the aliens -- it was that the family's various idiosyncracies and things Mel Gibson's character's wife said as she was dying all turned out to be related to how they'd survive the alien encounter -- in other words, the titular 'signs' were not crop circles but clues that God was setting up to ultimately benefit them.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan: Exactly! Hehehehe.

Oh yeah! I'd completely forgotten the religious aspect and I'm a little fuzzy on the specific details. Yes, I felt that that kind of undermined the rest of the story, which is why I can't remember that ending bit; it was, for me, non-memorable... incongruent with the rest of the story.

I think that Shyamalan has the same problems as I do when writing a short story. He goes a little too far.

Although I wish my middle name was "Night".

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I love M Night's movies, including Signs, and The Village.

His movies aren't meant to be scary in the sense that Dawn of the Dead or the Ring were supposed to be scary (which, by the way, they weren't).

I can't wait to see Lady in the Water. Shyamalan is one of the few director's that I'll probably see any movie with his name attached to it.

Though I must admit, that knowing there is a twist coming at the end has created a two fold reaction in me. One, I know it's coming, and therefore it becomes much, MUCH easier to spot. And Two, knowing that going in makes it sort of fun, it's almost like a sub genre of movie. Besides, if his next movie DOESN'T have a twist, that in itself would be a twist from his other movies.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Signs Spoiler warning

Signs wasn't about the aliens! Who cares that the were stupid enough to come to an ocean planet =)

Signs was about Mel's character getting his faith back through the Signs God had given him and through what was left of his family. It's a beautiful beautiful movie!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that that part was touching; the problem was I distracted by the utter absurdity of the other part.

Spoiler
Maybe if he'd made the aliens allergic to orange juice, or something. The movie was well-made; I agree with Kat on that. That "plot twist" was just sloppy writing, though.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler*

My problem with Signs was that I find the idea that the bad things in my life happened as clues from God on what to do during an alien invasion entirely offensive.

I mean, Mel's wife dies so she can give a few cryptic hints? Couldn't God have sent Mel an email or something?? Whatever happened to messages in your morning cereal? Handwriting on a wall? Messenger from heaven? A dream? A sudden flash of inspiration at the right moment? The entire premise of the movie is for me false and shows what I consider to be a misunderstanding of Christian faith.

*spoilers*

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely said. That was something that bothered me as well.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall having had this conversation shortly after the movie came out, and feeling quite alone in my disgust for the "faith" elements of the movie. I'm glad other people now feel the same way. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was here, Tom, I definitely commented on it. Disgustedly. I can't swear that I mentioned the email, though. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as an atheist you can expect my reaction to be "whoa", but usually I have no problem with religious tales at all. This one I just felt was bizarre and almost two movies in one, both undermining the other.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Title changed, so you can now spoil all those movies with impunity.

I'm a pretty sympathetic audience for religious messages, but the religious aspects Signs did nothing for me.

Just like the other aspects.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an atheist as well, but I wasn't always. Now that I'm past my "King of Men"-like phase, I can recall the good things about having faith.

It doesn't change that I think it's all based on a lie, but it's still a beautiful thing.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Signs because it didn't scare the tar out of me. I could actually sit down and watch it.

I would never have seen the Sixth Sense if I had known even a little bit about it. I can't take scary movies. I still haven't seen all of The Village...it was just too scary. Which goes to show how big a wimp I am.

I agree on Unbreakable being the best of his movies. I loved the premise, and the delivery was wonderful.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I recall having had this conversation shortly after the movie came out, and feeling quite alone in my disgust for the "faith" elements of the movie. I'm glad other people now feel the same way.
Yeah, I walked out during the scene where he refused to allow his son to pray. Never got to the "signs" part.

I did rather enjoy the tinfoil hats though. But one sight gag does not a movie make.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You walked out during that scene?

Why?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
For the same reason that I turned off a passion play on TBN when the "Jews" yelled "We'd kill you ourselves, but we aren't allowed!"
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.