FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anybody know about tools? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does anybody know about tools?
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'm hoping for is that the shop I'm going to work in has a wave scope. I don't have the money to buy one good enough to view events 5-20 milliseconds. My meter can store waveform data, but only as short as 50ms.
[Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, El JT, that museum is a gorgeous building! To me your job sounds really interesting! I wish I knew how to do that stuff. Have you gotten into any of the cool new super-efficient (with regards to energy usage) buildings that are starting to be built? There are some around here with manmade lakes and fountains that somehow boost the cooling system in summer, or that's what I was told, though not with any technical details. I guess they could work as a sort of super swamp cooler using the whole lake for a thermal reservoir. I love working in natural lighting, so I think it's a great trend to bring in daylight as much as possible. Makes for happier workers, as a side-effect. [Smile] Do any of the customers want that sort of thing?

Do you break it down to the point that you actually call out the brand and part number of the cable they will use, and assign wire numbers to the different colors in a multi-conductor cable? Do the customers (end customers or architects) ever have specific wire-numbering systems that you are required to use in your designs? Are you specifying all the various raceways and so on, and showing how they mount to the building?

Does a big office building have Motor Control Centers the same way a plant or mill does? Sounds like you do some industrial as well as commercial. I'm a lot more familiar with those power systems, from having to interface with them. How much do you get to learn about the different industries that go on in your buildings in order to know how best to do their electrical systems? Is it important to get details about what equipment is going in to every place? Or can a fairly generic industrial or commercial plan cover most contingencies?

One thing that sounds great about doing buildings is that there is so much construction going on everywhere that it would seem like you'd always have lots of work (though I'm sure it's tied to the cycles of the economy) and much of it reasonably close to home. Travel sounds fun when you're telling about it, but seriously it gets old. I love going to new places that I've never been, but having a thriving business near to home sounds very appealing! I would love to do 3 or 4 days a week of my job from home, in fact, via e-commute, if that were possible. Now that would be cool!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Check this box out
That box is 18k new. [Eek!] I could never see myself spending that much.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.