FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sakeriver Forums (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sakeriver Forums
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- not yet ready to graduate from Hatrack
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course not! Hatrack is a great place, and you've only been here since June.

I guess in some ways Sakeriver is like The Grey Havens, isn't it?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I make a very scrumptious, unconventional cake with fresh oranges, cranberries, and nuts, with a cranberry frosting. It is moist and fruity and very unusual, and it tastes like a holiday.

I also make a variety of chocolate cakes that verge on the obscene (hubby likes 'em that way).

How cruel of you to tease us like that and not post even one recipe! ::crosses arms and looks hurt::
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The cake is delicious. The recipe is, um, odd.

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce (1.5 cups)
1 cup nuts (I like pecans. Walnuts are good, too)
Fresh grated zest of one whole orange
Fresh squeezed juice from the same orange (1/3 cup)
1 cup real mayonnaise (not that "lite" stuff, no Miracle whip)
3 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar

Grease and flour 9" Bundt pan
Combine sauce, nuts, mayo, juice and rind. Stir in flour and sugar. The batter will seem to be much too thick for cake. Don't fret.

Put the batter in the pan and bake at 350 for an hour.

Frost with frosting made from 2 Tbl butter, 1/4 cup cranberry sauce, and 2 cups powdered sugar, beaten all together until fluffy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Wow. That sounds gorgeous. I'll have to try that this weekend.

Thanks, Tante!

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I guess in some ways Sakeriver is like The Grey Havens, isn't it?

It is? [Cry]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*hums "Into The West"*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I'm not the leader of this mob. Leaders of mobs are either turned on by the mob, or picked off by sniper fire from outside. I'm just relaying some known rules about how to run an unruly mob for those of you who are new at it.

ElJay, you cannot use a snowshovel. If it was a regular shovel, of course you could use it. However, snowshovels are not to my knowledge used for farming because once there's snow on the rows, there ain't much growing to be done.

Teshi, a cake fork certainly will not do. Also please be warned that unruly mobs are not very amiable to mockery of their equipment. Be careful, that effigy we're burning can be switched out in a heartbeat!

Noemon, I congratulate you on embodying the spirit of Christm...errr, unruly pitchfork-wielding mobs. Nice job loaning the garden weasel and lighter fluid to twinky.

Mack, obviously swords won't do. Swords are used by The Man to oppress The People. Swords are often what the bastards in the castle have, not what the mob has. Whose side are you on, anyway? *suspicious look*

Obviously there will be cake, or a cake-like substance. The homes of either Mike or breyerchic04 will surely have something, even if it's just cake-mix. And of course an unruly mob will be able to make a spiffing cake.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You seem awfully opinionated for someone who's not a leader, Rakeesh. *sharpens snowshovel*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, in that case...*guts ElJay with a fiery garden weasel while no one is looking*. *whistles innocently*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

He's turned on the mob! Rakeesh has gored one of our own. He's no mob member! Burn him!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't Noemon get back to sake's annual pledge drive?

I really enjoyed that, and I kept waiting for him to say, "But wait, there's more!"

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
heh... fiery garden weasel... I may have to experiment when I get home tonight...
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Did it really seem like I was trying to sell the place?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sakeriver is a website hosted by the person known here (and there) as saxon75. It features saxon's book and movie reviews, an almost never updated by nonetheless interesting running editorial called Tales from an Office Building, archives from a number of different play by email RPGs, and a fairly active set of forums.
But wait, there's more!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting. If I were trying to sell the place that wouldn't be how I would have presented it at all.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I knew you weren't actually selling, but when I read it I pictured you in a Ron Popeil infomercial setting.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I haven't turned on the mob, Noemon. *guts Noemon with fiery garden weasel garnished with roasted ElJay*

It's just that ElJay was trying to equip the mob with sub-standard equipment for the rampage, and now you're backing her up. You've placed yourself under suspicion of working for The Man.

smitty
Member # 8855

I actually think a sharpened snow showel would be pretty wicked... Mine's plastic tho [Frown]
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Aside to sake-ites: Please, HUSH about sake.

*louder voice*

Sake River is a silly place and you wouldn't like it.

Nyah.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, nothing ever happens at sakeriver. Sure, there is a long and tiresome discussion of different potential components for paper-mache art (and yeah, Lila tells you more than you ever needed to know about the history of wasps' nest), but it's kind of boring.

Unless you really want to vote on which tint of khaki really is the best color to paint a sitting room or something.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And there is the "Pomade Forum," where we hash out the best characteristics for various hair gels, dependent on individual hair type, length, and desired level of brilliantine shine. That can be kind of amusing, if you're into that sort of thing.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Unless you really want to vote on which tint of khaki really is the best color to paint a sitting room or something.
I still say that vote was unnecessary. Everybody knows that stone is the best tint. Philistines.
smitty
Member # 8855

There's a COLOR called khaki? When did this happen? Is it the same color as the pants?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Of course not. Khaki is a flavor.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

My favorite part of sakeriver is the paint-drying finals. I mean, that's some rivteting Internet!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No, the really riveting part is the real-time construction of pairs of Levi jeans.

*grin

smitty
Member # 8855

Mmmmm... khaki.....
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

*rimshot* Good'un, CT.
Olivet
Member # 1104

The big discussion gets underway when we decide on the best shade of khaki for pants and skirts. Then we have to decide whether beige, wheat, ecru, buff, biscuit or camel tops go best with it.

Then we drink skim milk and serve bland, colorless cookies.

smitty
Member # 8855

OK, i get the "buff" top, and I could see weaving wheat into clothing, but how exactly do you bake a biscuit top?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

At 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.

Duh.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

At 350 for about 20 minutes.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

::lol:: Tante, I like mine closer to wheat colored; you must prefer ecru.

(edit to add a preposition to my prepositional phrase)

[ December 13, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Actually, we also spend a good bit of time discussing whether it's 12-15 minutes, or closer to 20 that the biscuit top should be baked. We used to argue about the temperature as well, but 6 months or so ago we finally decided that 350 was best.
smitty
Member # 8855

Does it shrink in the wash?
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Only when you use cold water.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Well, Noeman, maybe that's what you decided, but I missed your election to Official Keeper of the Sakeriver Archives.

*rechecks title

(Uh, ooops. Sorry about that. Guess it was 350.)

[Big Grin]

smitty
Member # 8855

Tumble dry low, or does it need to be hung up to dry.

What the blankety blank am I talking about?

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Biscuit blankets will shrink if you put them in the dryer. Even if you don't turn the dryer on.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

If you get hungry in the middle of the night, can you just munch on the biscuit blanket?
Noemon
Member # 1115

As long as its your blanket, I suppose you can do whatever you like with it.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Are they down again, or do they just hate me in particular? [Frown]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Not just you. Don't worry though, since I'm walking, I may as well swing north through Georgia on the way to California. You can join the swelling mob.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it seems they may be down again.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Okay. Call me when you get close.

*sniffle*

smitty
Member # 8855

Rakeesh, my flaming garden weasel didn't work out so well. And the fire department didn't think it would be a good idea to try again. Will plain ol' clubs work?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
so that's what that fire run in the paper was about!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

I don't know if you saw the black smoke rising to your west, but that was likely me. In retrospect, I probably should have taken the cars OUT of the garage, and maybe spilled a little less gasoline... and probably shouldn't have been drunk... On the plus side, I won't have to chase the possum out anymore [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
Rakeesh, my flaming garden weasel didn't work out so well. And the fire department didn't think it would be a good idea to try again. Will plain ol' clubs work?

I'd think spades would be more of a farm implement.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.