FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm finally reading Harry Potter (just watched the movies) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm finally reading Harry Potter (just watched the movies)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Your Mileage May Vary, apparently.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But... movie three was AWESOME! THAT was a real Harry Potter movie. I love the new Dumbledore. Everyone's acting was so much better and more believable. The music too was better and properly reflected what was going on.
Wholeheartedly agree. PoA is still my favorite HP movie, with GoF coming in a close second. If I see that film on HBO or something, there's a chance I might watch it, at least for awhile. I can never say the same for the first two films.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and Snape is my hero. Long live Snape!! The secret hero...
I totally agree. Just out of curiosity, have you finished all the books yet? [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the movie.
I can't even say it was bad. I was absolutely annoyed by most of the changes, especially by the ending.

Spoiler-

Cedric had just died, so what was up with the happy smiles and expressions? They reall cut way too much out of the movie for my taste and introducing Barty Crouch in the beginning just did not work for me. He really wasn't just some evil hissing death eater, it was a lot more complicated than that.
At least the visuals were nice and the twins were rather adorable. They are going to be such handsome young men when they are older, but I have quite a few gripes with the movie versions in general.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved the happy smiles and expressions. The crowd didn't know what was going on. They couldn't tell Diggory was dead at first. If you watch, Fleur is one of the first people in the crowd to recognise that Cedric is not alive. Overall, I thought it was a great effect: it makes the fact that he was dead all the more serious.

I thought Barty Crouch was dealt with reasonably well given the length of the film and the complexity of his arrival at Hogwarts. Remember, gone were Bertha Jorkins, Mrs. Crouch, Winky, the top box, and Ludo Bagman. As were Harry's dream in Divination, Crouch's illness, the Parting of the ways, Percy working for Crouch and the scene in the cave when Sirius pretty much explains the connection between all of those people (not to mention the wonderful quote about using the way someone treats inferiors as a measure of personal merits). Inserting any part of these missing pieces means inserting more than one scene to prevent a deus ex machina.

But Kloves still messed up. BIGTIME. Without the Parting of the Ways and the Dementor kissing Crouch, Dumbledore makes some dumb remark about telling Azkaban to "check" to see that Barty's cell has been empty ALL SCHOOL YEAR. Because the dementors don't notice when people just walk out of prison one year after the first breakout in history (Helllooooooo, Prisoner of Azkaban, yeah these guards notice when people leave, and don't dump their mom to die there in their place). And then, Barty gets PUT BACK THERE.... because he won't escape again (since anybody can do it).

Gah! I'm ranting. That just really bothered me.

This movie made me appreciate how rich Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire really is as a novel: rereading has been a treasure, (particulary the wonderful conversation after Harry's name gets pulled between the EIGHT adults, all of whom have a personal agenda that is visible, while advancing the plot and carrying out a mystery at the same time. Brilliant.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news for Weasley fans: Rupert Grint got drafted into the military while in the US.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a jacket just like that.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... while I was out Christmas shopping I bought the paperback of Order of the Phoenix. [Smile] I'll be starting it in a few minutes.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.