FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My new cooking show, one of these days (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My new cooking show, one of these days
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else is good? Pancakes with fried ham and ketchup. Mmmmmm...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many lovely things that can go on pancakes that I would never waste them by putting ketchup on them.

Which reminds me: one of these days, I need to learn to make crepes.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Crepes really aren't that hard. Annie posted a recipe at the Jatraquero Recipe Collection.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up my mother would tell us "We don't eat gravy. We are not the kind of people who eat gravy." I'm not entirely sure what that means. I suspect that Mom is an anti-gravite.

Anyway, I do not eat gravy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmmm. I love gravy.

I was just making my lunch and remembered something else ketchup is good in-- Ramen. [Big Grin]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she associated eating gravy with being poor and having nothing substantial to eat. My mom's dad hated soup for the same reason.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught that we are not the kind of people who eat catsup. I grew into the kind of person who does not eat mayonnaise either. They are both disgusting to me, except in a very few usages. Even reading KQ's name makes me gag a little bit.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tante, would she perhaps mean that gravy is most often composed of flour, meat drippings, milk, and seasoning? [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Even reading KQ's name makes me gag a little bit.
*takes a bow*

quote:
I was taught that we are not the kind of people who eat catsup.
I am not that kind of person, either. I only eat ketchup. Heinz tomato ketchup.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
ATTENTION ALL KETCHUP FANS:

You must come to St. Louis and gather at the true Catsup Shrine

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT? KETCHUP IS NOT THE SAME AS CATSUP!!!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tante, would she perhaps mean that gravy is most often composed of flour, meat drippings, milk, and seasoning?
MILK in gravy? [Eek!] Really? I'm not a fan of gravy anyway, and I think I can count the number of times I've had it in my entire life on two hands, maybe one, but milk?

I can't even imagine why that would be a good idea.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
gravy is most often composed of flour, meat drippings, milk, and seasoning?
It IS?!!

Oh yuck! I'm never eating gravy. Nuh-uh. No way.

Pass the ketchup.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:

I can't even imagine why that would be a good idea.

Because milk gravy is the best!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand regular gravy. I doubt I'd like milk gravy any more. I think I'll just pass.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
White gravy has milk as its liquid, brown gravy has broth. They're both good, but white gravy is best for biscuits and gravy. Mmmmm....

And really, the best thing you can put on most vegetables (and potatoes!) is ranch dressing. Not that nasty stuff they sell in the stores, but homemade ranch dressing.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope. The best thing you can put on most vegetables are spices. Curry 'em up, and you've got a masterpiece! Yum! [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I beg to differ. I am a big fan of sour cream and ketchup on-- well, most foods.

(Not that I don't love curry. [Big Grin] )

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I beg to differ.

You call that begging? That's just differing without the begging. Genuine begging involves getting on your knees, pleading, groveling.

Sheesh! [Roll Eyes]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT? KETCHUP IS NOT THE SAME AS CATSUP!!!

Okay...I was curious about the difference and so I googled it. I searched for: difference between ketchup and catsup.

According to all the sites I looked at, there is no difference. I even found out that they are both pronounced the same way: Ketch-up...NOT CAT. I never knew that.

So... are they wrong? What is the real difference?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that the real difference is that Heinz makes ketchup, not catsup, so therefore ketchup is the only true ketchup. Or so I have gleaned from reading kq's posts.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Goodness no. I hate Heinz. I buy Hunt's. I like it, I prefer it. That's that.

Most of the little packets of ketchup you get at fast food places use Heinz. I'm always disappointed by the taste. It's icky.

I also don't like Kerry's wife. But I didn't like Heinz ketchup first.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

*sits waiting for Catsupqueen to make an appearance and argue that she is different than Ketchupqueen.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Yep, I've been waiting for her to make an appearance and clear things up, too. [Smile]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hunt's is too sweet.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I like Lieber's Ketchup. Betcha never heard of it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Goodness no. I hate Heinz. I buy Hunt's. I like it, I prefer it. That's that.

*smites Katarain with the Ketchup of Righteousness*

I carry Heinz packets in my purse and in the glove compartment of the car for times when I am stuck at the house of an infidel like you and have no access to proper ketchup. *narrows eyes*

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Of course you do. We all suspected as much.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, it's not like I make a secret of it.

Oh, guess what Ems did when my mom made home fries and I showed her how to dip fries in ketchup the other day? That's right, triple-dipped and sucked the ketchup off before eating each fry. [Big Grin]

That's my GIRL!

Katarain
Member # 6659

I can't say I understand the ketchup obsession... [Smile]

I like to dip my grilled cheese sandwiches in ketchup... probably because they were always served with fries and it was inevitable that the sandwich would get some ketchup on it. I liked it. [Smile]

I don't, however, prefer ketchup with my fast food fries. I MUCH prefer those little packs of barbecue sauce. YUM. At home, I use ketchup, though...

Just because you all wanted to know...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*narrows eyes again*

Barbeque sauce is of the devil.

*gets out Ketchup of Righteousness again in case further smiting is required*

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I like Lieber's Ketchup. Betcha never heard of it.

You lose! [Big Grin] Then again, you like Lieber's ketchup (ew!), so . . . [Wink]

Also, barbecue sauce is yummy, and ketchup is way overrated.

So, kq, how is Monday night for you?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Monday night? Supposed to be FHE night, but we never really plan anything, so completely free. [Big Grin] I'm going to be singing with my dad and the rest of the band in a few weeks, so soon I'll start going to practices and stuff, but our banjoist is going out of town, so Monday would, in fact, be perfect. [Big Grin]

Jeff gets off work at 5 or so most evenings. Emma usually goes to bed between 9 and 10. Anywhere in there is good. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be free as of about *calculates* 7:30/7:45 or so-ish.

But right now I am about to disappear, so we'll talk over the weekend.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I won't be free, but I am reasonably priced.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.