FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy glottal stop Batman! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Holy glottal stop Batman!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness, I was hoping we weren't the only ones.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I don't know how I say it. I've read and pronounced all the ways listed in this thread, and landed up confusing myself.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
am i the only one who thinks of the end of buffy when they see mention of glottal stop?

(i'm guessing that i am)

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr, Argh?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Say this with a glottal stop:

Betty Batter bought some butter
"But," she said, "this butter's bitter."
"If I put it in my batter
it will make my batter bitter."
So she bought some better butter,
put it in the bitter batter,
and made the bitter batter better.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you, Glenn. I tried your tongue twister, and very nearly choked myself to death.

Please, people, I implore you, for the love of humanity, do not try this alone at home!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Even better, do it with a scottish accent (imagine Shrek)
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, with a Scottish accent is the only way I can do it without error.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeah, that's the way I learned it.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
It also works with a Cockney accent.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Maybe I should have said "It's easier when you say it with a scottish accent."

That's kind of actually what I meant.

Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
in buffy, there was a thing about the meaning of m+glottal stop, very late in the last season.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.