FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm thinking about changing my real name (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm thinking about changing my real name
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
To me, Al is just a shortened version of Allan, Alvin, Alfred, Albert, etc.. It's not a "real" name.

Are you sure that he meant "Al" (Ay Ell) and not "AI" (Ay Eye)? Perhaps he likes his intelligence artificial.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't change your name if you want to change your circumstances. Change your self.
One's name is just another designer label.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I was serious in my suggestion about consulting a Vedic astrologer. I don't buy into Vedic astrology myself, but I know a bit about it, and if I believed in it and wanted to change my name for reasons having to do with it, that's how I'd go about it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, sometimes you've just got to change both.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm not sure I agree. Frankly, I think if you feel you have to change both, it's because you aren't done changing the self.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also possible that you don't understand because you haven't been in that position.

Personally, one of the reasons I changed my name was to make it more difficult for my parents to track me down. I've never been safe when they knew where I was and how to reach me, although now, living halfway around the world, I'm safer than I've ever been. It's also one of the reasons I'll be happy to never live in Canada again - unless they're both dead.

Another reason was that, if they ever found out I changed my name, perhaps they would clue in - finally - that I was rejecting them and all they stood for. They certainly didn't figure that out when I told them I wanted no more contact in any form and I was no longer willing to put up with their abusive behavior. Reporting them to the police was no help as there was no evidence to support my allegations, and restraining orders are notoriously ineffective. Add to that the fact that, in Canada, neither of them would ever stand trial due to their health issues, and I've got a losing set of circumstances.

Changing my name was only a small part of the package in changing my life and my circumstances, but it was an important part. I would do it again.

Granted, I'm also talking about a more extreme set of circumstances than steven, but I can understand his point of view, too. Having been there, feeling liberated by the change of name, I can completely understand why someone would choose to change their name for emotional/psychological reasons.

And that's way more about me than you ever wanted to know.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I've always liked the name Weston.

Be nice. [No No]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

-o-

Tom, I think you may be oversimplifying. In a lot of cases you're probably right, but I don't think it's necessarily true across the board.

You're having a Dr. Phil moment. [Razz]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.