FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » People you hate working with: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: People you hate working with:
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
[QB] So we should push for a renaming of Lapland? Do people from Finland take offense to being called Finns?

No, but then, Finn doesn't have the meaning 'ragged'. Anyway, if you want to go on calling people wogs, go right ahead, I'm not stopping you. But they're not called 'Lapps' becaused they from Lappland, Lappland is called that because, according to Norwegian propagandists of a while ago, the people living there go dressed in rags. The name was stuck on them by their enemies; if you think that a mere few hundred years of insult makes the insult polite again, be my guest. Personally, I'm going to call them as they wish to be called.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Jargon Babies. They are so overwhelmed with their one little area of expertise that they assume that everyone else knows and cares what they're talking about. They use their shortened slangy little terms in conversation and then act all self-righteous when you have to ask them what on earth they're talking about. They're also extremely offended when you ask them to ship a package for you after 3:42 because the UPS man comes in 18 minutes and this is Friday and they have a million other boxes to get ready and "Oh my gosh, do you honestly expect me to get this out for you today by cutoff?"

I'm sorry, Jargon Baby. Why don't you fax me a schedule of times that I'm allowed to come into your department and I'll try not to upset you next time I want a stamp in the middle of the 2:00 Tuesday rush.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Many people outside of Norway hold the misconception that Lapp is the preferred term for the Sami people. Its roots are actually derogatory, though, so a greater effort is being made to call them by the name they use to self-identify.

"This misunderstanding applies to many other minority groups in regions whose historical legacy is more widespread than their current situation. Native American groups, for instance, are known as Red Indians to some Europeans, but are typically not offended by innocent misuse of this name as it is based on an unfamilarity with local jargon rather than intentional malice."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
You really can't help being an abrasive fellow, can you KoM? My question was actually asked honestly.

I spent several weeks in Sweden and Finland, and I met several Sami. I read and heard bits and pieces about the region's past and its peoples. But in the mere hours I talked to them, I didn't think it appropriate breach the subject, and ask them why they haven't begun the arduous process of getting the region known as Lapland to be popularly referred to as something else. Since you seem to identify so strongly and posture yourself to be so knowledgeable, I was asking you why they haven't. It seemed to me that even publications empathic to their history refer to their region as Lapland.

Now, if you can find an antidote for your venom, I still wouldn't mind an answer. Or maybe I should look to Annie to provide the information in a manner which doesn't make blood pound in my ears.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Downloader

This is a person paid twice or three times as much as you due to their expertise in a certain area. Let's say, for example: curriculum design. When meeting with the group, they hand out packets of downloaded material from websites most people already frequent.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that then, AW; I thought you were being sarcastic. To the best of my knowledge, Finns are ok with being called Finns. As for Lappland, it has indeed been renamed Saamiland, Sápmi, or Samiland, but the change hasn't really percolated very far yet. Being worked on.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men, you are in rare form today, in this thread and everywhere.

Visit the Haiku thread. You've got a haiku written about you there.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Too bad it sucks : No capitals in "King of Men", a missing apostrophe in "can't", and worst of all, it is not spelled "athiest". Though admittedly I am the athiest person on these boards. Siberia for him, five years.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The King of All He Surveys: This dude, though not actually your boss, feels comfortable giving you assignments that are actually his to do, and which, incidentally, he will take credit for if you do a good job. In consultant form, he passes out assignments to customers, treating CFOs and secretaries alike: as serfs in his fifedom. Workers at the hotels he stays at hate him, because he is very demanding and speaks to them as if they were naughty children.

If left to his ego, he becomes worse and worse at his job until he finally quits in a huff.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
People I hate working with today: Myself. I should stop working and go home.

KoM, you're the athiest poster ever! That cracks me up.

--Enigmatic
(bored and nothing meaningful to say)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

it is not spelled "athiest".

Some folk are always trying to be athier than thou. Sheesh!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Downloader

This is a person paid twice or three times as much as you due to their expertise in a certain area. Let's say, for example: curriculum design. When meeting with the group, they hand out packets of downloaded material from websites most people already frequent.

Tut tut. No fair. This is actually Unecessary Administrator you're describing, and you know I already listed him/her. And you know they don't have any expertise that the rest of us don't have, just a membership in ASCD.

[No No]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sad, but unfortunately true, is the Asperger. Social skills are nonexistent, but he may be brilliant in his own small area of expertise. Odd habits and rituals become law, and there is no flexibility about them. A common trait may also be poor hygiene. Best to let this poor soul work as independently as possible, since very few will be able to stand working with him.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, Icarus, call me

The Reworder

The person who absorbs everyone else's ideas and takes credit for them as his/her own.

In fact, I was thinking of a specific person: Download Debbie, aka Curriculum Barbie.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what scares me? My co-worker fits in about 2/3 of these categories . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
We have gone this far and not mentioned Clock-Watchers. These are the people that leave at precisely the end of their shift, no matter what they are doing, and no matter what is left. They leave the remainder of their work for the people working second shift.

Where I work, many of these people are also Warehouse-Monkeys.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Me

Constantly procastinating. Fussing over every little detail. Highly distractible. A general pain to work with.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren should write a book about this.

I have one, courtesy of my mom:

The Unemployment leech - this is a worker whose goal is to not work. He takes menial jobs, and stays at the company only long enough to qualify for unemployment benefits. Then he invents a slight the company has done against him, quits "under duress" and files unemployment. Because most people on unemployment hearing boards give employees the benefit of the doubt, he almost always gets it, and he will live off these benefits until they run out, apply for another job so the cycle can start again.

That is a universal "he" BTW, unemployment leeches can be either gender.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Acronymaniac Also a Jargon Baby, but specializes in spouting out incomprehensible sentences that sound like alphabet soup read aloud. Gets huffy and defensive when you ask what the letters actually stand for, as he doesn't actually know, just knows the vaguest of definitions for most of the acronyms he constantly uses.

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
"Everything-they-know-is wrong: This person knows everything, except they think that 2+2=6, and red and blue make green. They often try to impress you with thier knowledge, and then get angry when you prove them wrong using simple examples."

Ha ha. My brother-in-law.

Before the Gulf War(the first)

Me: Do you think we should invade Iraq?

Him: Well, we let Hitler go too long, and look what happened: World War One.

He did not believe me when I mentioned that was the wrong war, and had to look it up in the encyclopedia. He is a Marine.

Wow, Hitler in WWII, that's a no-brainer, especially for a soldier.

I had a supervisor recently, out of the army for a couple of years, who was stunningly wrong, but oh-so-sure of himself. We argued politics once, and he came up with the gem that "N. Korea has several times more atomic bombs than the US." He was positive about this. I was taken aback, and said that unclassified intelligence would suggest they have anywhere between zero and perhaps 20-30 nuclear weapons, and that most probably the N. Koreans have a handful. While the US has well over 1000.

No use, I couldn't shake his extreme ignorance. I gave it up as a lost cause.

Another shift he got angry, yelly, and red in the face during a 45-minute arguement (we have a lot of down time and I was bored) about compass directions, a subject he knows nothing about. While I studied math for years as well as surveyed for 4 years, doing calculations with directions almost every day on that job.

I know, I know, appeal to authority, yada yada. But I can hardly summarize his ignorant ideas about direction, they made no sense and were even self-contradictory. A very odd argument.

So, he was transfered and I was promoted. Yay for me!
Now I supervise a Pontificator, a guy who's fairly educated but can go on at great lengths about dull subjects, but him I can get along with.

Or do we even need a new category? He is American, after all, we do tend to natter on.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.