FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » really random question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: really random question
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of "boxed milk" (irradiated milk). For one thing, you can keep it longer than half an hour, and for another thing, it has a fun aftertaste, kind of like cheerios. [Smile]

quote:
I'm sure it's because our palates are more sophisticated.
From Imogen's stories in the recipe threads, I'm quite ready to acede to this.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
They eat peanut butter in Zimbabwe...on rice. I'm all about spreading the peanut butter-love, but I think that's a little icky.

I gave a PBJ to a little boy in Germany and he didn't LIKE it! I don't know what they teach these foreign kids...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cashews grow in Sri Lanka, and you can easily find them anywhere. Here, besides being roasted and devilled (your typical nut snack, familiar to North Americans), they're also curried. And eaten with rice and other curries. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Quid,
I've heard that outside of the cashew nut is a cashew fruit. Is it true? What is the fruit like? Can you buy it at stores, or do you need to have your own cashew tree to get it?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The cashew fruit is not only poisonous, but toxic by contact. Cashews have to be harvested wearing gloves.

Oops. No, that's apparently not quite true. Apparently the "cashew apple" is edible, but the cashew's hull is the toxic part.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:

quote:
I'm sure it's because our palates are more sophisticated.
From Imogen's stories in the recipe threads, I'm quite ready to acede to this.
[Smile]

I *was* kidding. DOn't forget, we are the land of the chiko roll (and if you have never had one of these, pray you never will).

Incidentally I made your pot sticker dumplings a while back - they were good. Yum. [Cool]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante - I've heard also that it's toxic, but that's about all I know.

What I do know is that here, in certain sections of the various highways, there will be clusters of shops. One cluster will sell wickerware - supposed to be the best wickerware in the country. Another cluster will sell pineapples - hundreds and thousands of pineapples. Another cluster will sell King coconut. Yet another will sell lacquerware, and so on and so forth.

One cluster of shops will sell nothing but cashews (cadjus) during the season. I've been told that beautiful young girls in brightly coloured saris will hold out bags of cadjus to tempt passing motorists. (When we drove by, it wasn't season.)

Outside of Kandy, there's a line of shops that sell Sri Lankan treats - muscat and kiri dodol and other things I don't know the names for.

And isn't this really a lot more info than you asked for? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
First the Brie/Camembert kerfuffle, now this, Rivka? Your google-fu is slipping, it's time for an up-and-comer to snag the pebble from your hand. [Wink]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
First the Brie/Camembert kerfuffle, now this, Rivka? Your Google-fu is slipping, it's time for an up-and-comer to snag the pebble from your hand. [Wink]

[Razz]

One: I wasn't wrong about Brie/Camembert -- Choobak simply misunderstood my post. (As quid already explained.) My apology was for humorous effect.
Two: I should have googled cashew fruit before I posted, and not after. I was relying on my memory of an article I read a year or two ago. Clearly I should not do that. [Wink]
Three: Kayla, and possibly quid, can out-Google me any day. And I'm ok with that. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Four: Nobody likes a response in list format
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's have a google-thon competition! Hmmm... but what are the rules?

May the best 'racker (or 'rackette) win!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

That sounds like fun! I'm in. Shall we say keyboards at dawn? My server will contact your server.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...We could have judges who have extensive knowledge of a particular subject area, and have each judge pose a question with a relatively obscure (but findable) answer, and then have them score the contestants' answers for quality and speed.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Maybe next weekend? We need a ref, and rules, and contestants.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Four: Nobody likes a response in list format

• Who
  • used
  • list
  • format?
[Razz]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I did my part by suggesting a format. Y'all have fun, now! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

1:
2:
3:
...that's a list format.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Google Google Do!
Morbo
Member # 5309

Moving on...
I just started a new googlethon thread.
Hop in if you dare. Try to think of trivia or questions that might be tough to google.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Kayla, and possibly quid, can out-Google me any day. And I'm ok with that.
rivka, that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said about me. [Kiss] Thanks! [Kiss] [ROFL]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.