FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BYU alumni or students.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: BYU alumni or students....
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
afr:"There's at least as much bias coming from the U against BYU's supposed holier-than-thou/hypocrite dichotomy."

Ah, but I said nothing about the holier-than-thou thing. That's a completely different issue, and is indeed simply a matter of rivalry.

afr:"the sense of rivalry is nurtured far more by U students."

This is generally true when talking about sports, but that's about it. And even this has changed in the past few years.

afr:"there was rigidity, it was mostly avoidable."

Again, I said nothing about rigidity. That is another separate issue.

I have about four separate rants about BYU, and I have only given one of them here. If I ever give one of the others, bring up your other points then. They will definitely be apropos.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been following the drafts. What did I miss?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
First pick in the NFL draft: Alex Smith, Utah.

First pick in the NBA draft: Andrew Bogut, Utah.

This is the first time this has happened to any school, ever.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This is generally true when talking about sports, but that's about it. And even this has changed in the past few years.

Not in my experience. It's across the board. I wasn't really talking about sports rivalry, though. That has definitely ramped up around BYU after some crappy football and basketball seasons. Utah has become the team to beat again.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A lot of non-LDS people in Utah feel ostracized, whether they really are or not. For example, if they are in business, they might feel like all the LDS business people are really chummy with each other, and that they are left out. If they are in high school, they might feel left out because most of the LDS kids go to seminary classes together. They might feel left out if their neighbors all go to the same LDS church on Sunday, and to the same periodic LDS parties. It's kind of like being with a bunch of people who have known each other for years and have a lot of inside jokes that you just don't get.

I think it's that kind of situation for my friend. He's really late to the party and he doesn't get any of the inside jokes.

Kat: Call it unintentional flattery. That was not anywhere in the spectrum of reactions I'd anticipated.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Oh, it was fun while it lasted.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I loved the drafts, and congrats to the Utes by the way.

I love Alex Smith, Bogut I'm not sold on just yet.

It's risky to evaluate collegiate big men because they traditionally play against watered down competition. But from what I read, Bogut has the tools to be very good, I'm just skeptical.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

That's funny. I think that Bogut has a better chance of being a star in the NBA than Smith does of being a star in the NFL. Mainly, that's because of their bodies (strength, size, etc.).
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I think two things give Smith a good chance of surviving in the NFL - his accuracy and his mobility. Those two things can make a very efficient quarterback, and if he figures out the offense before he gets gunshy from being splattered next year, he can step in and have a decent season, I think.

Bogut, I just don't know. He's thin as a rail, and I've never seen him play with any fire.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

You know, you might have a point about the students. A lof of BYU students come from out of state, and they have not been exposed to the rivalry before. Once they are in school, they might get a little excited about it, but there's still not much reason for it. Utah, on the other hand, has mostly in-state students, who have grown up with a sense of the rivalry, and buy into it.

The real rivalry, I think, actually exists between people who live along the Wasatch Front but may not have gone to either school. They just attach themselves to one school or the other.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of see the rivalry between the U of U and BYU like the rivalry between Canada and the states. Canada is very proud to not be the US and kind of defines itself that way. The US is like, "Oh yeah, Canada. That big country to the north of us. Hehehehe."

I'm speaking as someone with dual Canadian and US citizenship, by the way.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

JT:"I think two things give Smith a good chance of surviving in the NFL - his accuracy and his mobility."

His accuracy is good, but I still want to see more before getting too excited about his mobility. A lot of his success running the ball at Utah had to do with the O-line, as well as the availability of other offensive threats that had to be covered. Although I watched a lot of his games, I could never tell whether he was really that agile and quick, or whether he was just good at taking advantage of the opporunity to run.

I think Smith's biggest advantage is his intelligence. Quarterbacks as a rule tend to be some of the most intelligent players on the field, but he is exceptional.

JT:"Bogut, I just don't know. He's thin as a rail, and I've never seen him play with any fire."

Bogut thin? I actually think he's very solidly-built. He has broad shoulders and plenty of muscle. Of course, when I think thin, I think of Shawn Bradley or Manute Bol.

As for fire, you might have a point. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to see as many of his games as I would have liked, so I can't say.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

B:" I kind of see the rivalry between the U of U and BYU like the rivalry between Canada and the states. Canada is very proud to not be the US and kind of defines itself that way. The US is like, "Oh yeah, Canada. That big country to the north of us. Hehehehe."

I would expect you, as a BYU person, to see the rivalry that way. On the other hand, many Utah people (not me, btw) see it more like the country folk and the city dwellers. The country folk worry that, if their young'uns go to the big city, they'll get corrupted by all those worldly ways, or be killed within the first week. The city folk can't figure out what the country folk are talking about, but they do enjoy reading newspaper articles about all the weird things that go on in the country.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I think Smith is both quick and agile, but I actually think his intelligence can work against him on the field. Your smartest quarterbacks aren't always your best quarterbacks.

Example - Brian Griese. He had the same wonderlic score as Smith, 39, and he's hardly a solid pro, although he played as well last season as I've ever seen him play.

You don't want your field general out there overthinking things. You need to play on instinct, to react and make the throw without pausing to wonder if you're being baited. Simple is fast.

Exception - Peyton Manning. Peyton's a smart guy, but that's not the only, or even the main, reason he's a great QB. He does his homework, sure, but he's excellent at making the correct read along with delivering the ball where it needs to go.

More to say, but my fingers are tired.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I guess you wouldn't call Bogut Shawn Bradley skinny, but he's about Tim Duncan's build, and I just got done watching Timmy get manhandled by the Pistons. I think Dwight Howard has much better physical skills than Bogut. I liked him as number one last year, but Bogut makes me nervous, even though they are similar players.

The problem with centers in the current NBA is that they have to be able to bang with guys the size of Shaq, and run with Amare Stoudamire. They're like the tight ends of the NBA. You gotta block the DE, but be able to outrun the LBs. It's a tough position to be good at. Nearly every center in the league is a placeholder.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Boy, nothing kills a thread like some sports talk, eh?
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't that the truth! Well, I got a lot of good advice, so thanks to all who helped [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. Hope you like it at the Y. [Smile]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.