FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am a terrible, terrible wife (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am a terrible, terrible wife
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you liked it. Sorry about the chili powder. Luckily, you live in a country where it is neither horribly difficult to get or expensive. [Kiss]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. *shakes head sadly.* Dropped the chili powder and used up all the chili flakes? If it weren't for those Thai chiles, I'd have to start to worry about whether you really are a bad wife!

Umm, seriously though--I like to cook w/ Patak's curry paste in the jars. Does that make me an ignorant philistine?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* No, not really. I used to use Pataks when I was in Canada. I *loved* Pataks. Wonderful stuff, and I'm beginning to drool just thinking about it. No, no, it's great stuff with great flavor. Keep enjoying your Pataks. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*relieved -- someone in Sri Lanka says I can keep using Patak's to make curry!* [Smile]

(I've checked Indian cookbooks out of the library, stared at the recipes, read about how there is really no such thing as "curry" because each and every dish has its own unique blend of spices, etc. etc. . . and that all sounds admirable and delicious but when it comes down to it I'm lazy!)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I understand. Believe me. This is why I also use blends of spices such as unroasted curry powder, roasted curry, and garam masala. They're just a dried form of the paste. Sort of. Except they have other things, like garlic, chillies, ginger, lime, or tamarind or such in them as well - but those are all things that we always have on hand.

The only kinds of curry pastes we can actually buy here are Thai, and that's a very recent import. Have to say, though, that they also make me very happy. [Smile]

Um, and I'm not Sri Lankan, so it would still be taken as heresy by the locals. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Garam masala is probably my favorite seasoning to cook with. This child is not letting me eat much of it, though. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I feel your pain. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I guess I got spoiled my last pregnancy. Indian food cravings were an excellent excuse to eat Indian food (which is very healthy, anyway, for the most part.) This time around, all I've got is an aversion to meatballs and meatloaf and severe heartburn. I mean, I crave salty foods, but I can't have those. [Frown]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Seriously, I feel your pain.

Well, only sorta. It's not like I've actually gone through that.

Oh wait, yes, yes, yes I have. When I was waiting for my gallbladder surgery and I was on a stupid no-fat diet (can you say skin peels on in sheets and hair falls out in clumps, boys and girls?) and all I could eat was applesauce and jello. No skinless chicken breasts, no skim milk, not even bread.

Yeah. I feel your pain, and its name is hell. So I declare, and so it be. [Evil Laugh]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, most evil mistress, my suffering is but a shadow of yours. But I am weak and whiny. And so I shall whine. And eat chocolate instead. [Wink]

(Which is why I've gained 4 1/2 lbs. in the last 4 weeks. [Blushing] )

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Eh. You're pregnant. You're supposed to gain weight.

And chocolate? That you haven't been sharing? That is not permitted! [Evil Laugh]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But I do share.

Sometimes.

Okay, rarely.

But it happens.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

So*. We went grocery shopping yesterday. Yay!

Since I've recently started storing my spare spices in the freezer, it's opened up the opportunity to buy bigger, bigger bags of spices.

So yesterday, I tossed a 500 g bag of red chilli powder and a 500 g bag of red pepper flakes into the shopping cart. One full pound of each. [Big Grin] I'm so happy. [Party] I won't run out for a while now. [Big Grin]

And that's all. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Gee, aren't you glad you had the wonderful idea to store them in the freezer? [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, yes, yes, yes, yes I am. [Razz] Thanks!

That bruise on my forehead is from me banging my head against the brick wall for not thinking of that sooner. [Wall Bash]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was thinking of you as I made chocolate lip balm tonight.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ooooooooh, I'm so jealous! I love that recipe. Wait, where is it? What's in it? From what I recall, I think I might even be able to make me some. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cocoa butter, chocolate chips, oil or almond extract, and vitamin E.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh rats. Not, then. At least as far as I know. [Frown]
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of this thread yesterday. At home lately I've been enjoying Patak's and other brands of sauces and modifying them and coming up with some really yummy meals. So I wanted to make some for my mom while I'm at her house in East Texas. We checked all the grocery stores in town. No sauces at all. No powdered stuff. No Indian foods of any kind. The International foods sections are all stuffed with Mexican stuff and a tiny bit of Asian foods. [Grumble] [Grumble]

Oh, but I did buy a little box of pocky, to try it. My whole family liked it.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I feel your pain. [Frown] Life is just shades of grey when you don't have curries. [Frown]

Do they at least have cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, red chilli powder, and the like? With some coconut milk, lime, maybe some yoghurt or cilantro, tomatoes even, you can make some pretty good curries. [Smile] More work, I'll grant you, but still possible.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt they had much of that in town. And it would have requred buying a bunch of ingredients my parents will never use again, and I wouldn't want to drag them back to Indiana with me, plus I have no recipes, so I didn't get too involved into looking for that.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Places that don't have the food selection of Indiana worry me. I mean my town is lucky, we have 4 Marsh's, 4 Kroger's, one small store of a different name owned by Marsh, two "value stores," Sam's, and 3 or four different international or health stores (Bloomingfoods, two Asian markets I can't remember, Sahara Mart, and Saraga.) But other towns aren't, and I've found in other states, they're lacking that.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Theaca, since most of those ingredients are used in Mexican and American cooking, you could probably get most of them. But if your parents don't already have them on hand, yeah, I wouldn't bother.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I liked curried rice, otherwise i dont like the smell.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Cry] I miss my curries!!!
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So long as you didn't run out of cumin
NEVER run out of Cumin! It's the only Sumerian word left in use in common English, if not at all in English!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And that's a reason not to run out of it? Isn't "it makes stuff taste yummy" a better one? I think it's so funny when Rachel Ray starts talking about cumin. She doesn't seem to have grown up eating it, and she seems to be enthralled with the flavor. I just kind of accept as a fact that if you're making a protein dish or a savory sauce, there will more likely than not be some cumin in it. That's how I was raised.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The legacy of the Sumerian civilisation is at stake here, and you, you... You little ignorant Yank, worry about flavour?! [Mad]

Hmm. I can see why! [Razz]

(This was completely in humour. I hope it was reflected well.)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*smites JH with the Ketchup of Righteousness* [Razz] So there!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I had no idea cumin was a Sumerian word. Interesting.

Theaca, yeah, I can understand why it wouldn't be worth the bother. It's too bad that it won't work out. But if recipes was the only impetus you need, I'm sure I could provide you with some...

And you know what? I think I might start smiting with the Sambal Oelik of Superiority. [Razz] So there!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.