FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So* I am no good at this (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So* I am no good at this
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know we're entitled to the services, but I worry we'll be pressured to put her in school.
[Frown] It is so irritating the way some school districts and schools and administrators behave... Are you a member of the HSLDA? Everyone I've talked to about home schooling says it's a good idea, because if they start harassing you or implying that you're not going to get services unless she's in school, you can contact the HSLDA, and let their lawyers talk to their lawyers, which almost always clears things right up...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Know what's nuts? IN March a friend gave me a card to a spa with the offer to sit when I go, amd I haven't taken her up on it.
See!! Here is your perfect opportunity to take some you-time. Forget feeling quilty about taking the day - imagine how much more effective you can be once you've had a chance to relax a little! [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
HSLDA does have a distinctly *Christian* agenda. I think some of their stances are laugahble and inconsistent with their general logic for homeschooling because homeschooling is extremely libertarian if you look at the basic premises. However that said, even if you *aren't* Christian you should join if you are homeschooling, because of their guaranteed legal representation should you ever need it. And they are fantastic at arguing homeschooling cases. It's paying for insurance that you hope you never need.

They also sponsor a nation wide affordable testing program of the Stanford Achievement Tests for homeschoolers, that I strongly support. You need to make your kids get used to filling in bubbles on test forms when they are young, so that it isn't as stressful when it's a test that means something like on the SATs. You've already done tons of dress rehersals.

AJ

[ May 06, 2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, AJ, they definitely have an agenda-- but as that agenda includes protecting the rights of homeschoolers, for whatever reason, I think it's definitely a good idea to join.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
where do you live? i might babysit for you.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am leary of the HSLDA, mostly because I was on their e-mail list for a while, and they were sending anti-gay rights stuff. Definately not to do with homeschooling. And we can get the Stanford tests through our state HSA, which we belong to.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
See I'm of the opinion that subversion is the way to go to effect change from within. If more people joined without a Christian agenda, and made it clear that it was deterring still other people from joining, I suspect they'd become a little less virulent on a few topics. Join, let them get to know you and realize you aren't of the devil before you tell them what you really think.

I actually have met the guy who is the head of HSLDA, and he's not that abraisive in person. (My parents have friends who are were very good friends with the Ferris' for a while.) My parent's friends (well I played with their son when we were 5 but they really aren't my friends specifically) ended up relocating to a different part of the country but while they were in Virginia they were concerned with the direction the "start-up" homeschooler church in the area was going(it was founded by many of the HDLSA people) They felt it was becoming rather introverted, and unfortunately I believe it crept over into HSLDA.

The problem is that these people get so introverted that they end up surrounding themselves with only people that agree with them because being a homeschooler makes them wierd and they get tired of defending themselves. Being with people that agree with them is a such relief that they never come back out of their tortoise shells and interact with the rest of the world. I saw it happen to my mother over time...

AJ

[ May 06, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.