FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » EuropeCon: Paris, Sep 23 - 25 -- Can you come? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: EuropeCon: Paris, Sep 23 - 25 -- Can you come?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My holidays are from the 17th to the 27th of October, but they're flexible before or after - as one or two days I miss the school-teachers is not a big deal.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I wouldn't be able to make it at that point. That's too late for me.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's too late for me, too - my brother and I will be in school, and that's too late in the semester. We are going to miss school anyway, but it needs to be earlier. I was thinking to be gone Oct 3 - 13, but we can move about a week in either direction, and I can go to France before or after the week in Spain.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Any time is good for me, though I'd prefer any events to be held on a weekend, just in case (our contract is supposed to finish in mid-October, so I won't be getting much time off).
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, that might be too early for me. Yep... my half-term break is Friday 21st Oct to Sunday 30th Oct. I can do a weekend away, but it gets tricky.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole of October is packed with special days and holidays - I might even miss a day of fasting! So it's not a big deal.

Why can't we have the meeting in the Holy Land? I can set you up with places to stay at... Maybe... Besides, this area is packed with French people (and Americans)...

Raia, are you in for a tour of the Holy Land? (Of course, big political changes are happenning during the summer.)

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

because it's considerably cheaper to get from France to Spain, and from poland to france, and from France to France, and from the UK to France. [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Jonny, I'm in, but I doubt anyone else is... [Wink]

Kat, if you're thinking the 3rd, that's ok then! I thought you were thinking later in October, originally. That would probably be fine. Though a week earlier likely wouldn't hurt either. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Working on parents, and persuading them to get me money for the ticket.*

How about actually having it in the UK? Or in Mooseia?

Kama
Member # 3022

It's France, ok? so there.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Well, Mooseia is actually closer to you, Kama! [Wink]
katharina
Member # 827

Jonathon, you can totally have a Con in Jerusalem. You make cookies, and we'll meet you all in the main student building of Raia's university. I'll bring cupcakes. We'll be there as soon as the plane with us on it arrives. [Wink]

[ May 02, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Abbesses is near my chess club. It's very strange
That is quite eerie. You're not sending radio waves into my dreams, are you?

I think my mind chose Abbesses because that was my metro stop when I stayed in Paris as a high schooler. We stayed at Timhotel on Rue Dunkerque. (Dunquerke?) It's also Amélie Poulain's metro stop. And next to Montmarte. It's a very cool place. [Cool]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this seems nice! I don't know how I missed it! Count me in for a weekend in Paris too. And I most probably will have a place to stay, so there would be no problem with that. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I still speak more Italian...

Or what about The Netherlands? (It's a hopeless case, but still.)

[ May 02, 2005, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
We'll be there as soon as the plane with us on it arrives.
I could wait for it like a Chasid waiting for the Messiah, but I won't.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe it ! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ! After all those years, meeting Hatrackers-Jatraqueros-Whatever in real ! I hope Corwin will join the party - and if it's in Paris, I know of a perfect Indian restaurant (if everybody likes Indian food). (Choobak, it's the Dishny, rue Cail, near the gare du Nord... Try the badgis and the dosais !)
EDIT : I second Kama on the WE issue... Actually, a Sunday would be perfect, since I don't know if at that point I'll be working from Mondays to Fridays or to Thursdays to Saturdays.
EDIT 2 : Annie, it's Dunkerque. I don't know the street, but the town it was named by is not too far from where I live : actually I applied for a job in this town.

[ May 03, 2005, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's great ! Waaa.

Thanks for the Tip's, i'll go with friends one day. I well know Gare du nord and this part of Paris : i'll try it soon.

happy !! [The Wave]

[ May 03, 2005, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ah, I'll see what my parents will approve.
Raia
Member # 4700

*is so excited now*

I hope this works out! It'll be my first Hatrack gathering. [Smile]

(Note: Though I have met four 'Rackers actually through Hatrack, not including the ones I knew beforehand.)

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Ah, my parents aren't keen to send me off, supervised by one that my mother saw for about 2.5 seconds. And my father *really* likes France. Maybe a Sydney reunion sometime? [Wink]

So don't plan your schedule according to me.
JH

Raia
Member # 4700

Hey, Jonny, if you want, your mother can come along next time you and I meet for coffee, if she finds me suspicious. [Wink]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I won't be surrounded by the TWO of you!
Anna
Member # 2582

If your Mom want to send me an e-mail to check if I'm not too crazy, she can. I mean, I may be French, but I'm an honorable person, I even work in a school so I must be able to handle teenagers.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I don't want her to poison you, without you people being prapared for a Healthy brainwash...

Got to leave, I've a חניך (however it isn't in English - rivka and Raia - HELP please) - a sweet Ethiopian kid, and I'll be gone for 2 hours or so.

JH

Choobak
Member # 7083

hum hum... I don't offer you to give a mail to your mother, because she could think i am a too crazy man [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

honestly, and I'm saying it with much love, I think Jonathan's parents are right.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

You're afraid of another Slav... But you're probably right.

My mother was all excited. "Oh my!" She said: "isn't that this group of what's-his-name, Oscar? Is he funding it?" I told her that the name "Oscar" reminds me of a green, garbage-can-dwelling creature, and I explained to her that a number of members on his forum decided to meet in Europe for the first time. She told my father "I want to join Jonathan"; I replied, "then I'm travelling to Edo", and used the old name of the city just so she wouldn't go tracking me down... It's not as bad as it sounds, but I really prefer to keep my family as remotely connected to me as possible.

It would be so much simpler if I knew my way around Paris and spoke French fluently, or if this were to happen in London (or Oxford).

Damnit, I was here in Jerusalem all my life and I know my way only around London, Dublin, Oxford, Sydney and a bit of Rome and Florence.

JH

Kama
Member # 3022

I think Dana's reply to Steve in this thread says it all.
Choobak
Member # 7083

hey ! you're so lucky ! I get out of France just three times : one week in South Germanie, a week end in Sicile (so beautiful !) and a day in Belgium. And that's all. I'd like visit the world like you.

But first : the Ireland this summer. [Cool]

Anna
Member # 2582

I don't know. How old are you, Jon ?
Anna
Member # 2582

Dana's answer is interesting. *thinks*
And none of your parents, or someone they know well, would be interested in a trip to Paris this autumn ?

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I'm turning 15 on 16/05, Anna.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

My parents - probably not. Maybe my uncle and aunt, but they basically think that I'm worth a Mars bar (and I've seen proof). They did once pay for a dessert that ended up being 20 EUROs of a price... Oh, wait, my father paid that night... I miss Galway.

I know rather few French people - if any - travelling during AUTUMN. Summer's the usual time for travel, evn though I personally prefer the damper autumn and winter periods. And I was born in spring.

JH

Anna
Member # 2582

It's a bit young to be on your own in an unknown country with unknown people. So, isn't there anyone your parents trust who could come with you ?
Anna
Member # 2582

Paris can be beautiful in September or October.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Not to the best of my knowledge, yet. Maybe there'll be someone later on who'll be in for it.

My father's in for an operation, so I can't tell you yet what's going to happen, as I'll only see him on Thursday - at the earliest.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I will be in Shannon, Ireland during the latter half of July and again in mid-September. From Shannon it's a cheap flight via Thomsonfly to Coventry and from there on to Paris or wherever the con may be. If I promise my wife that there will be plenty of people there to show her the sights, I'm sure she'll go for it.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Cool. [Smile]

I am going to buy my ticket in a few weeks, but I was thinking the last weekend in September/first weekend of October, or else the second weekend in October, depending on flights for me and my brother. How is that?

How long is the train ride from Paris to Barcelona? Would it better/cheaper to fly or to take a night train with a sleeping berth?

Kama
Member # 3022

I'm sure the French hatrackers will be able to find more info on this, but I'd look into the cheap airlines. You can actually get a ticket cheaper than a trainfare, if you're lucky.
katharina
Member # 827

Plane ticket + night in hostel, though, because if I get a night train bunk, then I can sleep there.

That's what I learned from last time - it is simply NOT worth to try and sleep in the general cabins, but traveling while sleeping is a great way to maximize time seeing things.

Choobak
Member # 7083

I search that for you until the end of this week. I'll ask to some friends who made a part of their studies in Spain. But, it's a long travel !

[ May 03, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Choobak ]

Raia
Member # 4700

Unless you stay with me, Kat. I'll try and look into that for you, ASAP, but I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to make it. Though I probably can.
katharina
Member # 827

Aw, thanks, y'all. [Smile] I'm sure it's a long way, but if it's cheaper to take the train, that could even work. I took the night train from Prague to Munich - it was ten hours, and I could have splept the whole way. I did instead spend the night talking with a cute Chicago med student I'd met in Prague that happened to be on the same train, but I could have slept. [Razz]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You people have got the schedule all wrong. I'm going to be in Europe from mid June through mid August. Then I'll be in England for a conference in mid September -- but in October I'm stuck state side.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Where and when in mid-June?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I can't move before 29th of June...
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, yeah, neither can I, but I was just checking.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, I was wondering which cities in Spain you're going to visit. I've just been on a weekend (well, extended weekend) trip to Barcelona and I might give you some ideas of places to visit. On second thought, I might just post something about my Spanish adventure, and you'll take what you want from there! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

*is excited at the idea of a Hatrack Get Together she could actually go to !*
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.