FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What May Be Wrong With Canada (A Rant) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What May Be Wrong With Canada (A Rant)
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You believe that tradition in general is harmful? O.o

If you're born here, it happens automatically. If you're an immigrant wishing to become a citizen, you must take the oath of allegiance, which among the usual things like swearing allegiance to Canada, blah de blah, includes a bit about allegiance to the Queen.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice being a part of the Commonwealth, and tradition is nice and all, but I do think we could do without the Queen in our citizenship oath. I won't be sad when the Queen isn't the official ruler of Canada anymore, but I'm not going to go out of my way to try and make that happen.

Edit: I would definitely rather swear by the maple leaf.

Edit 2: Or better yet, by Medicare.

[ May 05, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm not sure I could swear to a leaf. A tree, maybe. A leaf I'd be afraid that it would dry up and blow away one day.

I like being part of the commonwealth too. I like having palaces with real Queens living in them. I don't think it needs to be in the oath, so I wouldn't fight anyone taking it out.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Indifference, it'll kill you every time, baby.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm not indifferent!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but you're British. [Wink]

BtL, YGM.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm nearly as Canadian as I am British! I will be half and half in November, time-wise. And I should be a citizen at least by July.

*smug*

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I mean I find that specific tradition harmful. Traditions in general don't bother me but the idea of some people being better or even put into leadership positions based on birthright, while enjoyable in a fantasy setting, is scary to me in the real world.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been real happy with Canadian Government for about the last decade when they illegally clear allowed and promoted the clearcutting of our land by big commercial loggers.

Dealt with the beurocracy when applying for tribal enrollment. *SIGH* I know that it can be confusing that I have my adopted fathers' last names hyphenated instead of my biological father's, but not THAT confusing.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.