FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DallasCon Hotel Info! We have a go! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DallasCon Hotel Info! We have a go!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff will be happy to pick some up for you; the Albertson's is closer to our apartment. Or we could take you shopping there, it's not much further.

If you're going to be shopping at Tom Thumb, do we need to sign up for a Tom Thumb club card? We never shop there, so I don't have one. (It's very expensive compared to Albertson's, which is expensive compared to Kroger, which is expensive compared to Fiesta... Also, their produce isn't always that great. Well, actually, I only get produce at Fiesta.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If Tom Thumb is more expensive, we can do Albertsons instead. [Smile] I'm used to Albertsons being MORE expensive (in L.A., Ralphs and Vons are both usually cheaper). I even have an Albertsons discount card.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sometime between now and then, we can check out the kosher bakeries, etc. at each of those two stores if we're nearby doing errands, and see which is really cheaper. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

IHOP, a chinese place, a pub, Burger Street, and
Dickie's BBQ are all within walking distance of the hotel, if anyone will be wanting to eat out instead of bringing food. Also, the train station can be seen from the hotel. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
An IHOP!!! Whoo hoo!

That's all I need to keep me happy... [Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, then, we know what you'll be eating. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There's also an Arby's, a Quizno's, a seafood & grill place, an italian place, and "Thiopian Restaurant and Club".
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We drove by tonight. It's across the street from Mr. Gatti's, there's another pizza place, there's a Subway, there are actually 3 or 4 Chinese places, there's a wing place, and there's a soul food place. So all tastes should be satisfied. [Big Grin]

There's also a billiards hall across the street, in case anyone is interested. [Wink]

The train station is about two short blocks away-- very walkable.

Is anyone up for a "freak the normals" activity? We could dress up, or just act like ourselves...

Does anyone want a button to stick on your backpack or whatever and remember DallasCon by? I have access to a buttonmaker, if someone wants to design one.

Also, will anyone want to attend church services or anything? I will be happy to look up any denomination you wish and find one nearby. [Smile]

And can we have a solid count so I can go ahead and make restaurant reservations for that Sat. night, since I'm thinking of getting the private room? (I think it's available at no extra cost. If not, I'll just make a regular reservation.) Rivka, when are you going to be able to go out that night, do you know?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I might want to look up a church service. Depends on whether we decide to make the drive back on Sunday or Monday. If we drive back Sunday (which we probably will) then there will not be time for church, because it's a full day drive.

But I think I can find one myself if we decide that route.

Then again, if we end up staying up until all hours of the night on Saturday -- I may not climb out of bed until noon on Sunday [Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, cool. [Smile] Do you know if you will be 3 or 4 yet?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Reminding everyone to post when they've made a reservation. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Up.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
bumpityuppity
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Rivka, when are you going to be able to go out that night, do you know?
About 9:20 or so. Which is kind of late, I know -- y'all don't have to wait on me.

How late are they even open? They don't seem to have a website . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They're open until 10 Saturdays. I can get a reservation for 9:30 or 9:40. (It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get from the hotel to the restaurant.) If everyone is okay with that, I am. We can all snack before that if we need to. Personally, I'm fine with it. Can you be ready to go right when you're able to? Or will you need time to get ready?
rivka
Member # 4859

I can be ready to go at 9:20. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cool. Will everyone else be okay with late dinner? I know Jim-me's bringing kids; if necessary, we can have cake earlier, and go out to dinner later.

About cake-- Rivka, I sent you an e-mail with stupid questions...

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Looks like I will be getting in a lot later on Friday than originally planned. Ivygirl's school's last day is that day, and I thought we could "skip" it, but she has some final tests, so we can't leave here until their all done, I think. We haven't received from the school the official "final" schedule for end of year tests. So it may be afternoon before we get out of Kansas.

And no -- I don't yet know exactly how many are coming with me - 3 or 4. I need to get that nailed down this week, as well.

(Hmm... Rand McNally online says it is only 6 hours -- I was sure it took me longer than that the last time I drove to Dallas....)

Farmgirl

[ May 02, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*jealous* I'll still have 2-3 weeks of school after that weekend. [Grumble]

In my experience, online map times need to be multiplied by 110%-125% to be in line with reality. [Wink]

kq, I'll check my email when I get back from taking my son to school.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
In my experience, online map times need to be multiplied by 110%-125% to be in line with reality.
Well..especially if you figure in those stops for ice cream enroute....
[Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's 6-8 hours to OK City, if that helps. I don't think your map included traffic or anything. And they may have you driving at 125 mi/hr. [Wink] However, coming in late at night or early in the morning can reduce some of that time.
rivka
Member # 4859

If you're including ice cream stops, then it's 130%-150%. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

How many ice cream stops are we talking?
rivka
Member # 4859

It doesn't matter much. You also have to add in time to keep an eye open for ice cream places, get off the highway and over to them, and then back on again . . . Plus ice cream can be messy, so you have to add in cleaning-up-sticky-spills time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's what wet wipes are for. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Even wet wipes can handle only so much.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You must be a messier eater than me. [Taunt]
rivka
Member # 4859

*unperturbed* Probably. But you have a one year old -- just wait.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that's probably why my mom had a "no eating in the car" rule until I was in HS and my brother in Jr. High.
rivka
Member # 4859

I gave up on that rule long ago. At the moment, my car is clean. I give it two weeks. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What happens in two weeks? [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* Nothing. I just figure two weeks works of spills, crumbs, and general detritus will take it from "clean" to "not clean."
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Big Grin] So true... So, has anyone made reservations? Please tell me someone has made reservations.
rivka
Member # 4859

Uh . . . first I need to know how long Boon is planning to stay. Because I'm leaving Sunday night, and I realized that is potentially a problem.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If Boon is staying Sun. night, I'm sure we can find her a place. That's a good point, though; how long is everyone staying?
Boon
unregistered

I'll stay if there's a place for me, otherwise I'll go home. How's that? [Razz] [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

But I don't want to be responsible for there not being a place for you Sunday night. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Boon, there will be a place for you. If need be, you can sleep in our apartment. [Smile]
Boon
unregistered

See? It's fine. Don't worry...my bed may be calling me home by then... [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile] Ok, I'll see if I can find time to make a reservation tomorrow. Y'all are in the same time as I am, neh?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Y'all being Boon? Boon, when are you getting in?)
rivka
Member # 4859

No, y'all being YOU, and thus the hotel.

Oops, time zone, time zone. [Razz] katie's word-missing thing is catching.

[ May 03, 2005, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, we're two hours ahead of you. We are halfway across the country, you know...
rivka
Member # 4859

You aren't kidding! *jawdrop* I thought it might be one hour difference . . . how can it be the same as Iowa?!

[ May 03, 2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

rivka
Member # 4859

That is so weird. I knew the lines were in some odd places, but that's nuts.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Because we're in the center band of the country. Hence "Central" time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Drat you and your fast posting, rivka. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Every time I think my geographically impaired brain just has to be taken into account when getting directions . . . [Dont Know]

I thought Texas was closer than that. Two whole states in between? I guess I was forgetting New Mexico, because I definitely knew Nevada was next -- I've driven through the darn thing.

It's hot.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And boring. I agree.

You know, I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you... I once argued with my husband about whether Sacramento was north or south of San Fransisco-- and I spent part of almost every summer as a child visiting one or the other of them! (He was right. I was wrong. I didn't believe him until I found a map.)

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, part of Nevada isn't too bad. And Vegas has its good points as well.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.